Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    • Rides against injustice
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sun Valley,CA
    Posts
    1,085

    Nintendo, Microsoft lead Holiday Sales

    From IGN http://wii.ign.com/articles/752/752824p1.html

    Nintendo, Microsoft Lead Holiday Sales
    The Wii was right on the 360's heels.
    by Daemon Hatfield

    January 2, 2007 - According to preliminary NPD data, the Xbox 360 was the best-selling console during the holiday season in the U.S. CNBC is reporting that Americans picked up two million units of Microsoft's system during the period.

    But Nintendo was not far behind. In spite of limited availability, the Wii sold 1.8 million units from its launch until December 25. Sony only moved approximately 750,000 units of the PlayStation 3, due to manufacturing problems and decreased demand. Over the holidays, IGN repeatedly found PS3s available at retailers while no Wiis were in sight. The price of a PS3 on eBay has also dropped to around its MSRP, while the Wii is still selling for over twice its retail price.

    NPD expects to release complete sales data for the holiday season later this month

    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

  2. #2

    • Disneyland is your land.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    592

    Re: Nintendo, Microsoft lead Holiday Sales

    Is it really a decrease in demand or is the price point just too high to justify anyone to make a purchase. I've met many people who really want the machine, but are not willing to put down $600 cash for one.
    Class of 2005...

  3. #3

    • MiceChat News Team
    • Sparkle Plenty
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lodi, California, United States
    Posts
    10,127

    Re: Nintendo, Microsoft lead Holiday Sales

    I dunno, but we wanted to get the Wii but couldn't find one anywhere. We ended up buying the Xbox 360 because there were tons of them available at Costco. The games are so ridiculously expensive, now that we have the thing I don't know how much it will be used. We only have a couple of games.

  4. #4

    • This is my car, Stitch :)
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States
    Posts
    9,958

    Re: Nintendo, Microsoft lead Holiday Sales

    Quote Originally Posted by disneyballerina View Post
    I dunno, but we wanted to get the Wii but couldn't find one anywhere. We ended up buying the Xbox 360 because there were tons of them available at Costco. The games are so ridiculously expensive, now that we have the thing I don't know how much it will be used. We only have a couple of games.
    Yeah, it's been a year since it's been out so of course they have plenty in stock and many people bought it over the holiday season. It's only common sense. I mean if I wanted a new console that badly I might have gotten the 360 too (especially the bundle packs they sell @ Costco) but I'm waiting for the Wii. For now, I'll continue to use my DS Lite.

  5. #5

    • MiceChat News Team
    • Sparkle Plenty
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lodi, California, United States
    Posts
    10,127

    Re: Nintendo, Microsoft lead Holiday Sales

    Quote Originally Posted by Experiment626 View Post
    I mean if I wanted a new console that badly I might have gotten the 360 too (especially the bundle packs they sell @ Costco) but I'm waiting for the Wii.
    That's what we got, that awesome bundle pack -- but I should clarify that the only reason we didn't wait for the Wii was because my 6 year old son reeeeeaaaallllly wanted a new console for Christmas. Either that or an AirSoft rifle, which didn't didn't thrill me because I didn't want him to shoot his eye out like Ralphie. So we got him the Xbox and I am pretty sure we will end up with the Wii too, if they ever beccome readily available around here.

  6. #6

    • This is my car, Stitch :)
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States
    Posts
    9,958

    Re: Nintendo, Microsoft lead Holiday Sales

    Quote Originally Posted by disneyballerina View Post
    That's what we got, that awesome bundle pack -- but I should clarify that the only reason we didn't wait for the Wii was because my 6 year old son reeeeeaaaallllly wanted a new console for Christmas. Either that or an AirSoft rifle, which didn't didn't thrill me because I didn't want him to shoot his eye out like Ralphie. So we got him the Xbox and I am pretty sure we will end up with the Wii too, if they ever beccome readily available around here.
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed they'll be available for me to buy (without having to sleep outside or wait outside the store) by the time I get my income tax return.

  7. #7

    • Disneyland is your land.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    592

    Re: Nintendo, Microsoft lead Holiday Sales

    I am sure by March the Wii will be in plentiful supply so those who realy want one only have to wait a little bit more. btw, what games did you get for your 360?
    Class of 2005...

  8. #8

    • MiceChat News Team
    • Sparkle Plenty
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lodi, California, United States
    Posts
    10,127

    Re: Nintendo, Microsoft lead Holiday Sales

    Quote Originally Posted by ssmccullough View Post
    I am sure by March the Wii will be in plentiful supply so those who realy want one only have to wait a little bit more. btw, what games did you get for your 360?
    We have Sneak King from Burger King (woo!) and Thrillville, which my son hates. It's too hard for him I think, it might be a perfectly good game. We also got him the Lego Star Wars II, and he absolutely loves that one. Pretty sad selection of games, huh?

  9. #9

    • Original Mice-Chatter
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    5,255

    Re: Nintendo, Microsoft lead Holiday Sales

    ok- can o'worms.

    We got a 360 for Christmas.

    I could care less.

    I went to many stores and looked at the games- could there BE more testosterone in those selections? It's all sports, action, violence, war, guns, weapons and MALE slanted games.

    I saw 2 games I might want to play- the Arcade, and Viva Pinata.

    End of list.

    I bought Marvel Alliance for them, and then with Christmas money we have added Oblivion, Dead Rising and Chrome Hounds (on the way from Amazon)- wooo...whatever.

    I have not so much as picked up a controller to play- not once. I am not even intrigued by Oblivion and I normally like RPG's. Although it is the only other game I am likely to even try.

    The 360 is male dominated- not that females do not play- but there is not alot that is geared towards the fairer sex.

  10. #10

    • Earth Intruder
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Tangent Universe
    Posts
    3,060

    Re: Nintendo, Microsoft lead Holiday Sales

    Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys View Post
    I have not so much as picked up a controller to play- not once. I am not even intrigued by Oblivion and I normally like RPG's. Although it is the only other game I am likely to even try.
    You can totally play as a female character in Oblivion -- really it is one of the best RPGs ever created, and I have played a TON of rpgs. (I have oblivion on the computer... the graphics are just beautiful). It's a VERY open ended game, and I highly recommend getting the official game guide for it, because you may miss a lot without it (I'd say you'll miss about 75% of the game or more if you "only" do the Main Quest... I'm not kidding. You can even ignore the main quest altogether. The quest lines for the thieves guild, fighters guild, mage's guild and asassins guild are just as long as the main quest, and are WONDERFUL storytelling... and thats STILL not nearly all of the game).

    I hear Dead Rising is good, if you're into that sort of thing. Usually I look up reviews on gamespot.com or ign.com before a purchase.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)



    Founding Member of the BA!

  11. #11

    • Vehicle rotating backward
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    4,623

    Re: Nintendo, Microsoft lead Holiday Sales

    Quote Originally Posted by ssmccullough View Post
    Is it really a decrease in demand or is the price point just too high to justify anyone to make a purchase. I've met many people who really want the machine, but are not willing to put down $600 cash for one.
    A lot of people own 360s and there's not much difference between the two aside from Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy, and Metal Gear.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys View Post
    ok- can o'worms.

    We got a 360 for Christmas.

    I could care less.
    Give Burnout a try. It's not really so much of a real racing games as much as it is a crash'em-bash'em simulator.

  12. #12

    • Disneyland is your land.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    592

    Re: Nintendo, Microsoft lead Holiday Sales

    Quote Originally Posted by disneyballerina View Post
    We have Sneak King from Burger King (woo!) and Thrillville, which my son hates. It's too hard for him I think, it might be a perfectly good game. We also got him the Lego Star Wars II, and he absolutely loves that one. Pretty sad selection of games, huh?
    Haha. I have a burger king game too! A bumper car one or something like that. And Star Wars Lego II is so much fun. Never heard of thrillville though. How old is your son? Viva Pinata is a really fun game!

    And I don't know who said that Oblivion is a great RPG but I couldn't agree more. That game is so deep its terrifying. I've put in only 50 hours and I've only scratched the surface--a game that is one of the best ever made...and thats saying something.
    Class of 2005...

  13. #13

    • MiceChat News Team
    • Sparkle Plenty
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lodi, California, United States
    Posts
    10,127

    Re: Nintendo, Microsoft lead Holiday Sales

    Quote Originally Posted by ssmccullough View Post
    Haha. I have a burger king game too! A bumper car one or something like that. And Star Wars Lego II is so much fun. Never heard of thrillville though. How old is your son? Viva Pinata is a really fun game!

    And I don't know who said that Oblivion is a great RPG but I couldn't agree more. That game is so deep its terrifying. I've put in only 50 hours and I've only scratched the surface--a game that is one of the best ever made...and thats saying something.
    My son is just 6. Thrillville is a roller coaster themed game. I think it's too much for him and he gets frustrated. Maybe I'll try Viva Pinata, thanks!

  14. #14

    • Disneyland is your land.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    592

    Re: Nintendo, Microsoft lead Holiday Sales

    Yeah it is a pretty fun game. It does cost $50.00 so you may want to rent it first to see how much your son likes it. I wish games weren't so expensive, but its just a sign of the times I guess.

    Thrillville. I'll have to check that one out...it sounds kind of fun!
    Class of 2005...

  15. #15

    • MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    4,617

    Re: Nintendo, Microsoft lead Holiday Sales

    Quote Originally Posted by disneyballerina View Post
    My son is just 6. Thrillville is a roller coaster themed game. I think it's too much for him and he gets frustrated.
    He's not the only one. That Saucer Sumo game is darn frustrating.

    Thrillville is a good game, but is better for the older mindset. Being a RCT player helps as well, as the building system follows RCT's. As for the Xbox 1, I just picked one up ($30 on Craigslist) for Softmodding, and I've been enjoying it.
    -Monorail Man

Similar Threads

  1. DISNEY & Microsoft
    By phkna in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-10-2007, 08:31 PM
  2. Microsoft Zune!
    By mainstreetcm in forum The Tech Lounge
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-18-2006, 06:47 PM
  3. Disney online sales show 30 percent holiday growth- Reuters- 1/9/06
    By dramaqueen in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-14-2006, 03:29 PM
  4. "Smith" & "Fantastic 4" rock DVD holiday gift sales
    By ALIASd in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-07-2005, 09:25 PM
  5. MicroSoft Agent
    By monorail_rider in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-07-2005, 10:42 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •