Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Rides against injustice

Nintendo #1....in Japan

From IGN

Wii Rules Japan in 2006
    Nintendo takes top honors in next generation race.
    by Anoop Gantayat
    January 9, 2007 - Despite promises of a million systems at Japanese retail by the end of 2006, Japanese publisher Enterbrain reports today that Sony has managed to sell just 466,716 PS3 units to Japan. This figure covers the period from the Japanese launch on 11/11 to the end of the year.

In comparison, Enterbrain reports that Nintendo managed to sell 989,118 Wii units from the 12/2 launch to the end of the year, with the number quickly jumping over the million mark for a total of 1,135,671 units by 1/7.

The firm didn't provide 2006 results for the Xbox 360, but did list the system as having sold a total of 290,467 units total from its 12/10/2005 launch to the end of 2006. In particular, spurred by the release of Blue Dragon, Microsoft managed to sell 99,798 360 units in December 2006 alone -- the highest month ever for the system (yes, that includes the launch).

Portable gaming has been Japan's big star over the past couple of years. Enterbrain reports total Japanese DS and DS Lite sales from 2004 until the end of 2006 as 13,950,000 units. The PSP, while nowhere near the DS, has managed a respectible 4,510,000 units since its launch.

In the case of the Wii, IGN has had trouble finding a system since launch, making today's reports of a million plus Wiis sold to Japanese consumers all the more impressive.

The PS3, on the other hand, has been readily available since the New Year began. We were able to find a used 60 gig unit today at a major retail for $50 less than the new selling price. This would suggest that the lack of sales is due to more than just supply constraints.
    Nintendo has alot of momentum right now. But they need to keep quality titles coming or they're going to lose alot of steam. Their next big release "Wario Ware:Smooth Moves" comes out next week. Lets see how well it sells.
    Last edited by Zorro825; 01-11-2007 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

• Minion

Re: Nintendo #1....in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro825 View Post
    Nintendo has alot of momentum right now. But they need to keep quality titles coming or they're going to lose alot of steam. Their next big release "Wario Ware:Smooth Moves" comes out next week. Lets see how well it sells.
    Nintendo is selling from pure word of mouth right now. Wario Ware is going to move lots of units because it's essentially more of the same stuff we've seen for the Wii since launch. Mini games seem to be the cream of the crop these days, so anything with that mini game feel is going to do well.

Based on the release date schedule, I think one of two things will happen:

1) The gaming public will have a paradigm shift and continue to buy easy to pick up mini game titles

2) Gamers will want more substance in their games and the Wii will taper off.

• Original Mice-Chatter

or the Wii will come out with something fabulous and gain steam-

• Minion

Like I said, based on the release schedule for upcoming games on the Wii, I suspect one of those two scenarios will play out.

Given the glacial pace at which Nintendo's first party releases come out, and the serious downgrade in quality between third and first party titles... we may see different figures later this year. But who knows, Nintendo may have created a new market? The Minigame market.

/\ /\ Maybe the Wii will become the system of choice for people hosting game nights?? ;-) I know at my house, Sunday nights have become "Wii Sports Night".
    They still have Metroid, Mario and Super Smash Bros on the horizon. But you're right: They need quality 3rd Party games otherwise they will suffer the same fate as the Gamecube.
    Out of the NIGHT....

• Circle of Ancients

I don't think it's just WarioWare that is coming out that will help the popularity of the Wii grow even more.

You have:

1/15 - Wario Ware
    2/12 - Wii Play (and given the popularity of Wii Sports and the addition of a WiiMote, this is going to be huge)
    3/1 - Tiger Woods PGA Tour '07 (If this uses the same Wii controls as the golf on Wii Sports, again, I see this being very popular)
    3/5 - Mario Party 8
    3/26 - Medal of Honor Airborne
    3/27 - Cooking Mama: Cook Off (The DS version of this game is very fun and we can't wait for the Wii version)
    4/1 - Super Mario Galaxy
    6/1 - Metroid Prime 3
    6/1 - Super Smash Bros: Brawl

Then in the fall you have Wii Music, Wii Sports Airplane, Duck Hunt and Ping Pong

So that's 9 games in the next 4 months that I think are going to be HUGE. Throw in the other Wii games this year and some third party games like Shrek the Third, Spiderman 3, Harry Potter, etc that will hopefully use the WiiMote to it's potential and you have at least another year of great titles. Then of course next year I think you can add more Wii Sports titles and some other Mario stuff.
    Last edited by sir clinksalot; 01-11-2007 at 06:42 PM.

• Earth Intruder

Soulquarian really wants the Wii to do as poorly as the Ps3 is doing Honestly, I think the ps3 is pretty cool too and I would totally get one if it cost $300.

But that's not happening for a long long long time.

The fact that I STILL can't find a freekin Wii a few weeks after Xmas (but the Ps3s are plentiful) speaks volumes.

I'm excited about the Mario and Metroid games that are coming out, for sure.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I don't think it's just WarioWare that is coming out that will help the popularity of the Wii grow even more.

You have:

1/15 - Wario Ware
    2/12 - Wii Play (and given the popularity of Wii Sports and the addition of a WiiMote, this is going to be huge)
    3/1 - Tiger Woods PGA Tour '07 (If this uses the same Wii controls as the golf on Wii Sports, again, I see this being very popular)
    3/5 - Mario Party 8
    3/27 - Cooking Mama: Cook Off (The DS version of this game is very fun and we can't wait for the Wii version)
    4/1 - Super Mario Galaxy
    6/1 - Metroid Prime 3

Then in the fall you have Wii Music, Wii Sports Airplane, Duck Hunt and Ping Pong

So that's 9 games in the next 4 months that I think are going to be HUGE. Throw in the other Wii games this year and some third party games like Shrek the Third, Spiderman 3, Harry Potter, etc that will hopefully use the WiiMote to it's potential and you have at least another year of great titles. Then of course next year I think you can add more Wii Sports titles and some other Mario stuff.
    You can scratch Mario and Brawl off that list. Nintendo will most likely release Prime 3 in March or April and leave Galaxy and Brawl for the holiday season to go up against Halo 3 and all the other big guns. And really, Wii's lineup this year is so much better than PS3s. What coming out for the PS3 makes you say "OMG I NEED TO HAVE ONE OF THOSE RIGHT NOW!" If you haven't noticed the DS started out the same way, with gimmicky games the first half year, did that fail? No, its kicking the PSP's butt right now. And the PS3's lineup, seriously, if someone doesn't have a console and wants something like Ghost Recon 2 what are they going to buy it for? A $500-$600 PS3 with a very limited library and nothing great coming out until 2008, or a $300-$400 360 with superior online gaming and an already established library of games, not to mention all the great games that are coming out for it.
    Last edited by C-HOX; 01-11-2007 at 09:26 PM.

• Original Mice-Chatter

Can someone explain what a 1st, (2nd?) 3rd party title is to me?

• white and nerdy

1st party games are those that the company makes themselves, for example, Wii Sports is a first party title because it is made by Nintendo for Nintendo.

A 3rd party game is one made by a separate company, usually for a cross-platform release, but not always. For example, Grand Theft Auto games are made by Rockstar.

I don't think there is a 2nd party title....
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

You can scratch Mario and Brawl off that list. Nintendo will most likely release Prime 3 in March or April and leave Galaxy and Brawl for the holiday season to go up against Halo 3 and all the other big guns.
    I dont think Nintendo would bump both of them to the holiday season. I would think Mario would be their big holiday release and Smash Bros their summer one. The only reason i say that is because I dont think they would want both games in competition with each other. Thats part of the reason why Wii Play was delayed a few weeks. So it wouldnt compete with Wario Ware.
    Clinksalot, I thought Duck Hunt and Pong were part of the Wii Play collection?
    Out of the NIGHT....

• Disneyland is your land.

Man Soul-Q you really crack me up. Saying that the Wii is only selling because of word of mouth is the dumbest point to bring up. Of course it is. The general public are enjoying the product, which in turn sells more units because of what these people are saying. The PS3 isn't having any problem getting units in stores -- the demand has obviously been met. It must be that "word of mouth" that is hurting Sony...

Honestly I think its great Nintendo is #1 in Japan right now. I also think that the "simple and less complex" games are really winning an audience over. Maybe Microsoft and Sony really are in over their heads with the utlimate graphics processor stuff?

And as for here in the states, surely something is up. In my local Wal-mart they have (count 'em) 5 60GB PS3's. As for the Wii? Not a single console in sight! I think that $600 price tag is really killing Sony. If they even want to begin to approach the sales of their previous consoles they really need to drop that price--as it seems to be a deterent for purchasing one of these expensive buggers.

So does this put Sony in third place in both markets, the US and Japan?
    Class of 2005...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post

You have:

1/15 - Wario Ware
    3/5 - Mario Party 8
    4/1 - Super Mario Galaxy
    6/1 - Metroid Prime 3

4 of those titles are minigame style games. Super Smash Bros; Brawl won't utilize the wiimote, so the novelty of the Wii won't be as much of a big deal, and since the graphics on most Wii games aren't much improved over the GC, essentially all you'll get is a sequel. Tiger Woods PGA Tour is a simulator, not an arcade style pick me up, so a comparison to the Wii Sports golf mini game may not hold true.

Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid are going to be huge though. Personally, I can't wait to see what Metroid is going to be like.

Third Party movie licensed games usually suck. Bad. I wouldn't count on those, you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog View Post
    Soulquarian really wants the Wii to do as poorly as the Ps3 is doing Honestly, I think the ps3 is pretty cool too and I would totally get one if it cost $300.
    I have a Wii now. I got one for my Birthday. I still believe that it's much more of a novelty as of yet.

I think it's stupid when people want another system to "fail". We have something for every gaming taste in the market right now, and that's great. However, I DON'T want this minigame onslaught to become the gaming mainstream.

Quote Originally Posted by C-HOX View Post
    You can scratch Mario and Brawl off that list. Nintendo will most likely release Prime 3 in March or April and leave Galaxy and Brawl for the holiday season to go up against Halo 3 and all the other big guns. And really, Wii's lineup this year is so much better than PS3s. What coming out for the PS3 makes you say "OMG I NEED TO HAVE ONE OF THOSE RIGHT NOW!" If you haven't noticed the DS started out the same way, with gimmicky games the first half year, did that fail? No, its kicking the PSP's butt right now. And the PS3's lineup, seriously, if someone doesn't have a console and wants something like Ghost Recon 2 what are they going to buy it for? A $500-$600 PS3 with a very limited library and nothing great coming out until 2008, or a $300-$400 360 with superior online gaming and an already established library of games, not to mention all the great games that are coming out for it.
    Like I said, word of Mouth. The DS does not have more higher rated games than the PSP. There are definitely more titles available, but there are so many DS games that rate 4.0 or lower that it's a moot point. Whenever I've talked to people who bought a DS, they always said the same thing. "The PSP doesn't have good games". Obviously that's not true, but word of mouth is stronger than just about anything. Hence the reason why Disney allows unofficial websites and podcasts to preview their products...

Honestly I think its great Nintendo is #1 in Japan right now. I also think that the "simple and less complex" games are really winning an audience over. Maybe Microsoft and Sony really are in over their heads with the utlimate graphics processor stuff?
    The Japanese like really quirky type titles as opposed to FPS, Racing, and other genres that do well in the U.S.

What types of games do Nintendo excell in? Quirky ones.

And as for here in the states, surely something is up. In my local Wal-mart they have (count 'em) 5 60GB PS3's. As for the Wii? Not a single console in sight! I think that $600 price tag is really killing Sony. If they even want to begin to approach the sales of their previous consoles they really need to drop that price--as it seems to be a deterent for purchasing one of these expensive buggers.
    Meh, even if they don't sell well now, too many people are going HD to ignore. Since Christmas we've had a lot of customers asking about HD DVD/Blu-Ray and when are we going to get them out on the shelves. As HDTV's become cheaper and more mainstream, that PS3 is going to be even more of a bargain.

So does this put Sony in third place in both markets, the US and Japan?
    Of course it does. With the least amount of unit shipped and the 360 launched a year ahead what do you expect? "Dumbest point to bring up" indeed...

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian View Post
    I have a Wii now. I got one for my Birthday. I still believe that it's much more of a novelty as of yet.

I think it's stupid when people want another system to "fail". We have something for every gaming taste in the market right now, and that's great. However, I DON'T want this minigame onslaught to become the gaming mainstream.
    I know, I'm just giving you a good-natured ribbing because you come across as a PS3 fanboy That's all! Believe me, without your contributions these threads would be pretty boring.

But I do officially hate you for getting a Wii before I did. DAMMIT! hahhaa
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Minion

There's a target by my job that had a few Wii's and PS3's Wed. If you can't find one, I'll see if they're still there!

Zelda is SOOO freakin' fun. It just sucks that after I finish it, I'll be itching for the next big epic Wii title. Luckily I work a Blockbuster and can rent games for free

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast