• Earth Intruder

Gamecube on the Wii? And other questions.

Hey kids, so I had a few questions about playing Gamecube Games on the Wii that maybe you'd know the answer to:

1) I read somewhere on the net that the "classic" controller was NOT compatible with Gamecube games. Is this true? Do I need to purchase a GC controller?

2) If I play a GC game on the Wii do I need to purchase a Gamecube memory card to save games, or will it save it to my Wii?

3) What's the best place to buy old GC games? I really want to play Metroid Prime 1 and 2, and both of them are around $10ish + shipping on Amazon. Is it worth it to go to EB games or are their used GC games pricey?

4) Which are the best Role Playing Games for the GC? You'd think they'd have a list of "Best Role Playing Games for the GameCube!" on Gamespot or IGN or even someone's personal Amazon list, but I sure as heck can't find one.

Thanks so much!

And if you are a MiceChat GOLD member, please remember to cast your vote for the creation of the Wii club!

I'm so happy to have finally bought a console....my last console was the N64!!! I am no longer exclusively a PC gamer!!! Take THAT, free time!
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Gamecube on the Wii? And other questions.

1) I read somewhere on the net that the "classic" controller was NOT compatible with Gamecube games. Is this true? Do I need to purchase a GC controller?

From what I understand this is the case. You will have to get a GC controller. But you should be able to find one pretty cheap. I wish you could play with the Classic Controller as well. The GC controller inputs on the Wii are in a bad spot which is why we still have our GC hooked up as well.

2) If I play a GC game on the Wii do I need to purchase a Gamecube memory card to save games, or will it save it to my Wii?

This is correct. You will need a GC memory card.

3) What's the best place to buy old GC games? I really want to play Metroid Prime 1 and 2, and both of them are around $10ish + shipping on Amazon. Is it worth it to go to EB games or are their used GC games pricey?

I'd say EB games. Depending on the age of the game you can find them for around $10.

4) Which are the best Role Playing Games for the GC? You'd think they'd have a list of "Best Role Playing Games for the GameCube!" on Gamespot or IGN or even someone's personal Amazon list, but I sure as heck can't find one.

Definately Zelda Wind Waker. I'd also give Animal Crossing a try. Not really as detailed as Zelda, etc but they are fun.

As for others, not 100% sure on those. Check here http://www.gamespot.com/games.html?t...ll&sortdir=asc

Although they are counting games like Xmen Legends as Role Playing.

I don't play too many role-playing games on GC. In fact, the last role-playing game I played PERIOD was Wind Waker ... and now Twilight Princess.

Hope I helped.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I don't play too many role-playing games on GC. In fact, the last role-playing game I played PERIOD was Wind Waker ... and now Twilight Princess.

Hope I helped.
    ...ok Nevermind...I just saw an appropriate thread where I can post my question...pardon me.

• Earth Intruder

Hah great, now that I popped for all the Wii-cessories, now I gotta pop for all the Gamecube ones too! heheh

Oh well, one memory card, one wireless Gamecube controller and a few metroid games should not break the bank... I hope

I am sort of disappointed that after two months there is only ONE game for sale from the N64 period (Mario 64). Oh well.... I have plenty of games to keep me occupied in the meantime I just want to justify having popped for that controller.

And thanks Sir Clinks, you found the EXACT PAGE I couldn't seem to locate before. Did you ever know that you're my herrrrrooooooo? You're everything I wish I could beeeeee *slaps himself* Jeez, where the hell did that come from.
    Last edited by Chernabog; 01-22-2007 at 04:16 PM.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog View Post
    Hey kids, so I had a few questions about playing Gamecube Games on the Wii that maybe you'd know the answer to:

Thanks so much!

And if you are a MiceChat GOLD member, please remember to cast your vote for the creation of the Wii club!

I'm so happy to have finally bought a console....my last console was the N64!!! I am no longer exclusively a PC gamer!!! Take THAT, free time!

Cherny got a Wii!

#1- get a Wavebird (I would assume they work) that way where the controller plugs in doesn't matter cause you would be wireless. (someone with a Wii can correct me if I am wrong)

#3- Check Amazon as well- alot of people sell older games on there that are not overpriced.

#4- What are you looking for as far as role playing? The Zelda games for sure- Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, they also have Majoras Mask for GC. Do you like survival horror? The Resident Evil series is fabulous! Zero, One and 4 especially.
    I am an Animal Crossing addict- great game. Very cool concept- a video game that takes place in real time.
    One huge recommendation for GC games- Pikmin- seriously two of the best games I have ever played. Worth every moment!

I will look at my games when I get home and see if there is anything else fabulous to recommend!

you could do without the classic controller easier than without the GC one..... i've found that many games that call for the classic controller you can use the GC one, but not the other way around....

• Vehicle rotating backward

There really aren't much in the way of RPGs for Cube. Few were made and even fewer were ported, although some companies saw that the system was absolutely starved and made a few token games to sell to desperate RPG buyers as a result.

Your best bet is Zelda and Tales of Symphonia. Following that, Skies of Arcadia was originally a Dreamcast game that basically rips off the Final Fantasy battle system and has your usual cliche-filled plot ripped from one of those games or any anime you can think of: Giant world-destroying monsters, evil empire that wants to rule the world, hero who works for a rebel faction and saves the planet, etc.

Lastly, Baten Kaitos #1 and #2 are some less than great games brought out to basically make some easy cash. Gameplay is sort of based around the collectable card game craze from Pokemon and Yugioh but not exactly the same. #1 was a poorly done game, #2 is actually quite good until out of nowhere the most nonsensical puzzles pop up and it basically kicks you in the groin.

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog View Post
    Hah great, now that I popped for all the Wii-cessories, now I gotta pop for all the Gamecube ones too! heheh

Oh well, one memory card, one wireless Gamecube controller and a few metroid games should not break the bank... I hope

I am sort of disappointed that after two months there is only ONE game for sale from the N64 period (Mario 64). Oh well.... I have plenty of games to keep me occupied in the meantime I just want to justify having popped for that controller.

And thanks Sir Clinks, you found the EXACT PAGE I couldn't seem to locate before. Did you ever know that you're my herrrrrooooooo? You're everything I wish I could beeeeee *slaps himself* Jeez, where the hell did that come from.

It seems to me that Nintendo is probably holding off on N64 games for two reasons

one is the fact that they probably want to make sure that the install base for the VC controler is large enough

I say this because if you look at what they're releasing for VC you'll notice that they mainly focus on NES TG16 and Genisis games. This is most likly because all of those games only use two buttons and therefore people who've just bought a Wii won't need to buy much else because all of the games will work just by holding the Wiimote sideways.

The controler arguement also fits because they've pretty much held back on SNES releases as well (they have more then N64 but much less then any of the other three systems)

The other thing holding N64 back is probably memory size since N64 games are the largest and would eat through the Wii's onboard memory rather quickly so I'm going to assume that they'll hold off on N64 games till they feel that there are enough owners that have SD cards so they don't overfill their onboard memory (I'm also hoping they release a Patch that lets you play the VC games from the memory card itself rather then having to copy it back and forth from the system)

as far as RPG's go everyone is recommending their own thing I suppose (I don't consider Zelda an RPG though it definitely has the elements there it is more of an adventure game) I also wouldn't recommend Animal Crossing if only because its pretty much the same thing as Animal Crossing on the DS minus online (and possibly a few other features, I'd personaly wait for the Wii version which hopefully won't be too long and will have larger improvements made to it) unless you don't have a DS and really like animal crossing.

I'm not seeing Paper Mario on anybody's lists here so I'll mention it since it's a quirky little RPG thats pretty entertaining (also get Mario RPG for the SNES if it ever arrives on VC that game is awsome )

but yeah I've heard good things about Tales of Symphonia and Baten Kaitos (if card battling is your thing)

• Rides against injustice

What about Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles?
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

• I was deleted.

I know how you feel Cherny. I upgraded via Christmas present a few years ago to my GameCube and was quite lost. I had that... and my NES to play. Still no Wii, yet. (Personally, I'm just happy with anything Mario.)

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro825 View Post
    What about Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles?

I thought about mentioning that one too but to be honest it isn't worth playing without four GBA's and game links

Zelda the Four Swords was a great game of that breed too but yeah they're expensive to put together (well not so much anymore I've got all my friends SP's and adaptors at my house now o_o we formed a Crystal Chronicals night a year ago and almost finished the game but then everyone started moving away but left all the equipment with me)

• Dark Side Baddie

Was able to pick up a Wii for Christmas and we haven't looked back. My son and I are totally enthralled with the system! Wii Sports is amazingly cool yet entirely simple.

Zelda: Twilight Princess is a LOT of fun. Looking forward to Wii Play and Super Mario Galaxy!

• Huh?

For RPG -- Baten Katos. Horrid voice acting, but you gotta love the part of the game where it goes into classic NES style RPG!
    -Tim