Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Rides against injustice

Wii Virtual Console

With the additions of Mario Kart 64 and Contra III: The Alien Wars, the Virtual Console got two awesome games today.

What games have you downloaded on the virtual console and whats your wishlist as far as future releases go?
    I guess I'll start:

Downloaded:
    Altered Beast (I loved playing this game on Genesis and it was more of a nostalgia purchase than anything else)
    Golden Axe (Ditto)
    The Legend of Zelda (Never completed this one and I wanted another crack at it)

Wish List:
    Double Dribble
    Contra
    Punch-Out!! (I would like the Mike Tyson version but I'll settle for Version 2)
    Tecmo Bowl (I think this would be hard with NFL licenses and whatnot, but I hope they can do it)
    Super Ghouls and Ghosts
    Street Fighter II Turbo
    Mortal Kombat II (Super NES version..it had better graphics IMO)
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Wii Virtual Console

So far we have Super Mario Bros. and Street Fighter II.

I will be getting Mario Kart 64 tonight.

Wish List:

Punch Out (HAS to be Mike Tyson's version)
    Tecmo Bowl (I'd love to play with Bo Jackson again)
    The remaining Super Mario Games (2 and 3)
    Castlevania (NES)
    Final Fantasy III (SNES)

I'm sure there are many, MANY more to add to the wish list.

• Earth Intruder

I'm waiting for Majora's Mask, Banjo-Kazooie 2, etc. all n64 games. I am not going to download anything prior to n64 games at these prices.

Mario Kart 64 was a FANTASTIC game.... for 4 players. Without that 4 player hookup, I don't see myself getting that game.

Anything farther back than the N64 stuff is either a) readily available on Gametap (i.e. all the Sega Genesis, Turbographix stuff), or b) readily available on ROMs (in which you can save at ANY point, I don't think the virtual console allows for that). Frankly, I think the virtual console games are double pricewise from where they should be. I'd consider N64 games worth around $5 (Hell, USED GAMECUBE games can be found for cheaper than downloading Mario 64 for $10) and a game of earlier than that worth around $2-3 (they are charging $5 minumum).
    Last edited by Chernabog; 01-29-2007 at 01:31 PM.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

Here's my (short) list:

Downloaded:
    • Ristar - Great platformer for the Genesis from Sonic Team. ****
    • Castlevania IV - Fun enough, but I think I enjoy the "Metroid-vanias" better than the original gameplay style. ***
    • Comix Zone - Fun sidescrolling brawler from the Genesis. ***

Wish List:
    • Star Fox
    • Mother
    • Earthbound
    • Punch Out
    • All the Kirby games
    • Super Metroid
    • Chrono Trigger

And that's all I can think of right now.

In regards to pricing, I agree that the prices are a little high, especially for the crap NES games (5 bucks for Urban Champion? Really Nintendo? I wouldn't download it for free). I think a fair pricing scale would be to allow for variation in the price based on what type of game it was. While something like Tennis is possibly worth $2 or so, Super Mario Bros. 3 could easily be $5-$6. Same with the SNES and N64 games.

But I think a more glaring problem is the lack of a demo for the games. The fact that Nintendo is allowing Hudson and Sega to release their big games before Nintendo starts overshadowing them with too many of their own big releases means a lot of games that Wii owners are unfamiliar with. I'd heard of Ristar before I downloaded it, but I'd never played it. Same with Castlevania IV. I hadn't even heard of Comix Zone before it was released today. But I bought all three based on the strong word off mouth across all of the forums. Allowing users to play the game for 10-15 minutes for free would solve the necessity of having to program demo levels or what not, and would make me more likely to download a game I was questionable about.

Even with the complaints, the Virtual Console is just too convenient for me to pass up. I never was able to own a NES or SNES (not to mention a Turbografx or Genesis), so the fact that Nintendo is allowing me to download all these games that I've missed is a good value for me, even at the inflated prices.
    Last edited by Mr Ness; 01-29-2007 at 02:00 PM.

WISH LIST:
    They make a DS cartridge for the DS that can download the Virtual Console games so I can play em on the go! Until they do this btw I will have no intrest in VC and the Wii only the DS.
    Also it is Chrono Trigger and I'm curious to see if they will put that on it also since it is on the PlayStation version remake and Square does not do Nintendo as much anymore but we will see would be nice to have Chrono Trigger on the go in some portable console.

Until they do this btw I will have no intrest in VC and the Wii
    Your loss.
    Also it is Chrono Trigger and I'm curious to see if they will put that on it also since it is on the PlayStation version remake and Square does not do Nintendo as much anymore but we will see would be nice to have Chrono Trigger on the go in some portable console.
    I'd say its pretty good odds we will be seeing it at one point. Square is on much better terms with Nintendo now (As the Final Fantasy DS games would show) so you never know.
    Out of the NIGHT....

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro825 View Post
    Your loss.

I'd say its pretty good odds we will be seeing it at one point. Square is on much better terms with Nintendo now (As the Final Fantasy DS games would show) so you never know.
    And, you know, the unimportant fact that Dragon Quest IX is on the DS!

http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/750/750610p1.html

Your loss.

That attitute means that you do not want VC on the DS? I see well than your loss for paying for a feature that is a lie. And by this I mean Nintendo says you can Wifi sync up the DS and the Wii to do stuff but this 'STUFF' does not seem that useful at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Magus View Post
    That attitute means that you do not want VC on the DS? I see well than your loss for paying for a feature that is a lie. And by this I mean Nintendo says you can Wifi sync up the DS and the Wii to do stuff but this 'STUFF' does not seem that useful at all.
    When did I say didnt want VC on the DS? Actually, I'm waiting to see what Nintendo does with the DS/Wii connectivity. If they can deliver VC gaming on the go, then I'm all for it.
    I was just ribbing you since you said you had no intrest in the Wii. My bad.
    Out of the NIGHT....

Downloaded:
    Bomberman (great game I remeber from my childhood, not sure it's the best bomberman but bomberman is classic and four player is great, to bad only my g/f's little brothers will play it with me though )
    Ristar (I decided to download platformers that I never played before that get good ratings and Ristar is actualy pretty good I'm enjoying it so far)
    Bonk (I haven't played it much but yeah trying out platformers I skipped over, it's decent but not great like Ristar it's also making me realize how weird it is that the TG is only a few steps better then the NES but is technically sixteen bit like the SNES)

Wish List:
    Star Fox 64
    Kirby Superstar
    Kirby's Dreamland 3
    Super Metroid
    Earthbound
    Super Mario RPG: the legend of seven stars
    Paper Mario
    Kid Icarus
    Chrono Trigger
    Street Fighter II Turbo (comon what's with releasing inferior editions release Turbo or higher in edition Nintendo don't string us along)
    Megaman X2/3 (never got a chance to buy em)
    Yoshi Island/Story

quite a few games I skipped over and a few of those I've played but would like to own again on the Wii but I'll burn through that list before I start rebuying too much I'd rather grab things I never played attention to so I'm watching the VC reviews now

Talking about the pricing system I agree that alot of these games should
    be cheaper but I don't find the whole rom arguement to be that valid (why buy anything when stealing is free?) but I do think that these games should be quite a bit cheeper to be more appealing

I really think they need to consider the scope of the game in pricing it rather then what system was it from. Was the original Zelda deep enough for $5 sure but most NES games arn't.

Nintendo shouldn't release inferior versions of their puzzle games on NES and then later release the better edition of the same game with slight alternations again on SNES and N64 just release the best edition of it possible and make it 5-7$ that's all I'm willing to pay for a fully designed puzzle game anyways

they should also stop with all the joke releases like the poor sports games I'd rather have GB virtual console games then see the bottum barrel of NES games Nintendo needs to keep this to classics really not games that have become dated

Speaking of GB games I would like to see Nintendo do something with that backcatalog as well either upgrading them to color and putting them on Wii or upgrading them and making DS collection disks. a Wii virtual console of a few GB tilt sensitive games might even be appropriate

WISH LIST:
    They make a DS cartridge for the DS that can download the Virtual Console games so I can play em on the go! Until they do this btw I will have no intrest in VC and the Wii only the DS.

I doubt they'd include the cutscenes from the remake because that would make the file really big to download

it's too bad really though I'd like to see the cutscenes they did for the remake (which is really more of a port then a remake) I will say though that the port of Chrono Trigger on Playstation was horrible it suffered load times at every menu or change in mode o_o the lag made the game pretty much unplayable so I'm really looking forward to having a playable version on the Wii (or even better on the DS which could handle the cutscenes and not have the awful lag)

Tecmo Bowl (I'd love to play with Bo Jackson again)
    OMG, Bo Jackson was like the best! I would love just handing him the ball and have him go crazy!!

they should also stop with all the joke releases like the poor sports games I'd rather have GB virtual console games then see the bottum barrel of NES games Nintendo needs to keep this to classics really not games that have become dated
    I agree. Whats with "Tennis" and "Baseball" and "Soccer"? "Ice Hockey" was pretty cool though. I would maybe like to see "Kung Fu" on the VC but not for 500 points.
    Out of the NIGHT....

When did I say didnt want VC on the DS? Actually, I'm waiting to see what Nintendo does with the DS/Wii connectivity. If they can deliver VC gaming on the go, then I'm all for it.
    I was just ribbing you since you said you had no intrest in the Wii. My bad.
    I said your attitude sounded like you did not want it or cared.

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider View Post
    I doubt they'd include the cutscenes from the remake because that would make the file really big to download

it's too bad really though I'd like to see the cutscenes they did for the remake (which is really more of a port then a remake) I will say though that the port of Chrono Trigger on Playstation was horrible it suffered load times at every menu or change in mode o_o the lag made the game pretty much unplayable so I'm really looking forward to having a playable version on the Wii (or even better on the DS which could handle the cutscenes and not have the awful lag)
    Actually the DS probably could not handle the cutscenes unless you place them on a certain screen :P one is clocked higher than the PS1 and the other not! Also the PS1 version was amazing and suffered from barely any lag unless you had a scratched disk. And the likely thing to happen is that they give the VC the SNES version and the PS3-PSP version the PS1 version sorry

Actually the DS probably could not handle the cutscenes unless you place them on a certain screen :P one is clocked higher than the PS1 and the other not! Also the PS1 version was amazing and suffered from barely any lag unless you had a scratched disk. And the likely thing to happen is that they give the VC the SNES version and the PS3-PSP version the PS1 version sorry

I borrowed the SNES version from a friend of mine when I was in forth grade and I owned the Playstation version years later before losing it (I think I lent it to someone who moved away because I can't find it now o_o) and I can tell you that the PS1 ports (plural for the ports of Chrono and FF4) were all HORRIBLY laggy ask any reviewer and they will confirm it and I know that its true from personal experience.

maybe if your not used to the SNES version you wouldn't notice the lag but for me the lag became to much of a pain to put up with and I went back to asking if I could borrow the SNES cartrage again.

and yes VC is mostly about unaltered classics so I would expect the VC edition to be the SNES edition which in reality wouldn't be that bad since the game was pretty much perfect on the SNES and the PS1 version had a few inconsequential cutscenes added to it.

I'm guessing by PS3 and PS1 your talking about the origional playstation download service in which case I'm not sure how likly the ports are to appear on that system I'd think Sony would be in a bigger hurry to get things like FF7-9 up on that system then some crummy ports that lagged terribly and had some CGI added in (except Chrono which had animated cutscenes) it all depends on how much SquareEnix supports this service

and yeah the DS could handle the cutscenes on either screen I think mostly because no matter what cutscenes are just video being played back and for that to work for the DS the entire game would be optimized for the system making the video size smaller and formated for the screen as well as recoding some of the game to work with the double screens and all (aka no laggy menus anymore)

in recent times Square has been pretty big on doing remakes for the DS and the GBA and I'm actualy expecting that to continue as time goes on since the DS is becoming more and more of a dominating force

either way though I would really like to get myself my own copy of Chrono Trigger and this time hopefully a non flawed release

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast