Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32
  1. #16

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lakewood, CA
    Posts
    4,539
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ness
    They already released exact emulations of those and more Sonic games for GameCube in Sonic Mega Collection.
    And a great collection too for just twenty bucks! Now if only they release a portable version...

  2. #17

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,857
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    Not likely. It has just been reported that Sony has sold the most systems ever in one generation...



    And another article in the most recent issue of Home Media Retailing (the main magazine of Blockbuster, Hollywood, Gamestop, and EB Games) said that a nation wide survey concluded that the Sony PSP is the hottest new item among retailers. Consumers who were going to buy a handheld in the near future were most likely to buy a PSP (44%). The Nintendo DS came in at 33%, with the Nokia N-Gage holding a ridiculous 4%.

    Another article shows that the UMD format is breaking records, as two movies have sold over 100,000 copies. More and more studios are supporting the format, and if the DVD/UMD bundle catches on, expect even higher sales.

    The fact that Nintendos "PSP killer" is simply a smaller version of its "Advance" generation is not a good sign. Either. The Christmas season should be an interesting one to say the least.
    well amount isn't everything you need to remeber that you also have an amount of profit per system sold and Sony intialy launched at a loss I believe (just not as big a loss as the Xbox has been all throughout it's life)


    it should also be noted that Nintendo is one of the biggest publishers around and produces more games then almost any other game company around (as opposed to Sony and Microsoft which are very small as far as publishers go)



    I have never once heard the GBA Micro refered to as a PSP killer

    it could also be noted that the DS is owning the PSP globably and has now overtaken the PSP for sales this year in japan (it won last year too but that doesn't count much in that the PSP just didn't have much back then)

    then we can remeber that most developers are japanese companies and thus they will side first with whichever system is the most popular in japan


    it could also be noted that the PSP has very much in common with another famous handheld known as the Game Gear

    when I was a kid every Game Gear looked way better then the Gameboy and yet for some odd reason the Gameboy won out

    why is that?


    the system with the most games will probably end up as the victor

    the DS is building up huge amounts of steam with developers as they turn from the GBA to the DS

    the PSP is a little bit more hesitant which is probably why we arn't seeing that many games (we'll eventualy probably get a few ports though along with a couple of origional) this is mostly because developing for the PSP costs more then what companies are used to spending on developing handheld games


    of course Movies will do well for the PSP that's all there is but can UMD last against DVD and other types of movie storage if there's nothing else on the PSP

  3. #18

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lakewood, CA
    Posts
    4,539
    Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    well amount isn't everything you need to remeber that you also have an amount of profit per system sold and Sony intialy launched at a loss I believe (just not as big a loss as the Xbox has been all throughout it's life)


    it should also be noted that Nintendo is one of the biggest publishers around and produces more games then almost any other game company around (as opposed to Sony and Microsoft which are very small as far as publishers go)



    I have never once heard the GBA Micro refered to as a PSP killer

    it could also be noted that the DS is owning the PSP globably and has now overtaken the PSP for sales this year in japan (it won last year too but that doesn't count much in that the PSP just didn't have much back then)

    then we can remeber that most developers are japanese companies and thus they will side first with whichever system is the most popular in japan


    it could also be noted that the PSP has very much in common with another famous handheld known as the Game Gear

    when I was a kid every Game Gear looked way better then the Gameboy and yet for some odd reason the Gameboy won out

    why is that?


    the system with the most games will probably end up as the victor

    the DS is building up huge amounts of steam with developers as they turn from the GBA to the DS

    the PSP is a little bit more hesitant which is probably why we arn't seeing that many games (we'll eventualy probably get a few ports though along with a couple of origional) this is mostly because developing for the PSP costs more then what companies are used to spending on developing handheld games


    of course Movies will do well for the PSP that's all there is but can UMD last against DVD and other types of movie storage if there's nothing else on the PSP
    All is not true with what you say. In Japan, the PSP has surpassed sales of the DS for months. According to Enterbrain Inc. which is a main publisher of Japenese gaming magazines (think of it as the Japenese Ziff Davis), the DS still remains the most popular due to the fact that it was released nearly 6 months before the PSP, but sales figures have shown the PSP is beating the DS monthly by almost 80,000 units.

    February portable console sales figures:
    PSP sales: 195,000 ~ DS sales: 121,000
    March:
    PSP sales: 202,000 ~ DS sales: 136,000

    Overall, the Nintendo DS is still ahead as the Japanese own 1.8 million DSes and 1.09 million PSPs. But anaylists believe that the PSP will overtake the DS as the UMD media format becomes more and more accepted in the Japanese market. You may have already heard about the "hardcore porn" movies being sold by a major Japanese studio...

    And while Nintendo is a great publisher and all of its first party titles are top-notch that is also their crutch. Third party support is laughable at best. While it has games like Resident Evil on its side, it lost its primary third party developer when Rare became part of the Microsoft family.

    In the past few weeks though, Nintendo has beaten Sony pretty badle thanks to Nintendogs, however, I do not see such a game being so popular in the states.

    I believe that the rule of Nintendo of the handheld market will be similar to that of the console wars past. Nintendo will cease to be the leader because gamers have grown up. I bought a Gameboy Advance SP, and all I bought were the mario ports and Kingdom Heart: Chain of Memories. However, with the PSP I can upload my own videos (I have ride throughs of my favorite Disneyland attractions, and I have the Incredibles ready to be transferred once I get a bigger memory card), play my favorite mp3's, and display my E3 photos in one sleek package. So even if the games are expensive and hard to come by, I still have many more uses for my PSP...

    One distinct advantage over the Nintendo DS is the ability to rent PSP games at video stores.

    I think once the price drops during the Christmas rush, the numbers will begin to slide more towards the PSP.
    Last edited by Soulquarian; 06-04-2005 at 10:27 PM.

  4. #19

    • Santa Barbara, CA
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,624
    Screw that junk, gimme an Intellivision II and I'll kick your Lock and Chase butts. Intellivision is ripe for a BIG comeback as soon as they fix Sub Hunt.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

    [FONT=Arial Narrow]

  5. #20

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,857
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    All is not true with what you say. In Japan, the PSP has surpassed sales of the DS for months. According to Enterbrain Inc. which is a main publisher of Japenese gaming magazines (think of it as the Japenese Ziff Davis), the DS still remains the most popular due to the fact that it was released nearly 6 months before the PSP, but sales figures have shown the PSP is beating the DS monthly by almost 80,000 units.

    February portable console sales figures:
    PSP sales: 195,000 ~ DS sales: 121,000
    March:
    PSP sales: 202,000 ~ DS sales: 136,000

    Overall, the Nintendo DS is still ahead as the Japanese own 1.8 million DSes and 1.09 million PSPs. But anaylists believe that the PSP will overtake the DS as the UMD media format becomes more and more accepted in the Japanese market. You may have already heard about the "hardcore porn" movies being sold by a major Japanese studio...

    And while Nintendo is a great publisher and all of its first party titles are top-notch that is also their crutch. Third party support is laughable at best. While it has games like Resident Evil on its side, it lost its primary third party developer when Rare became part of the Microsoft family.

    I believe that the rule of Nintendo of the handheld market will be similar to that of the console wars past. Nintendo will cease to be the leader because gamers have grown up. I bought a Gameboy Advance SP, and all I bought were the mario ports and Kingdom Heart: Chain of Memories. However, with the PSP I can upload my own videos (I have ride throughs of my favorite Disneyland attractions, and I have the Incredibles ready to be transferred once I get a bigger memory card), play my favorite mp3's, and display my E3 photos in one sleek package. So even if the games are expensive and hard to come by, I still have many more uses for my PSP...

    One distinct advantage over the Nintendo DS is the ability to rent PSP games at video stores.

    I think once the price drops during the Christmas rush, the numbers will begin to slide more towards the PSP.
    interesting I've been watching the hardware sales and this week
    http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=5086


    I'd also like to point out that Rare was not a third party but a second party Rare was OWNED by Nintendo until they sold it to Microsoft for a rather large price

    after selling Rare Nintendo bought Retro studios which produces the Metriod Prime series (well bought them fully, Retro was already a second party but they have since been turned into a fully integrated part of Nintendo much like HAL labs has been for a long time)

    it should also be noted that Nintendo's second party system attributed much to the failure of the N64. basicaly Nintendo figured they'd do everything themselves and use second parties as their own pawns as well pretty much kicking third parties in the teeth by subjecting them to a regerous testing program to see if their games were "good enough" to be released on their system

    Nintendo's approach now is to create a system that is the easiest and cheapest to develope for which is actualy what has led to the success of the Gameboy historicaly as well as the triumph of the PS over the N64


    I find the PSP's music feature to be a bit bleh, Apples already saying the Ipod will die out to cellphones eventualy and I can believe that, my cell phone will last longer then the PSP does of course almost anything can outlast a PSP

    I don't quite get the use of looking at digital pictures everywere

    the video is a good idea but it's much to draining on battery life


    the PSP would be a great gaming system if it'd get good games and have a decent battery life but sadly it's not getting either for a while yet (they only announce more movies these days)

    I can also point out that while PSP games are rentable in japan the DS gets free content if your in a gaming store something Nintendo really SHOULD bring over to america (along with the Play Yan but I hear they're considering that)


    I think both systems will slash prices for the christmas season in all liklyhood but I think the DS will have the edge with what is looking like a HUGE amount of killer apps along with other third party releases and the launch of their free online service


    it can also be noted that there are many other facets to the handheld market that your not considering, will the more "mature" market even buy handhelds in mass?

    I cerntainly have found myself with less interest in a handheld as I no longer go on long car rides without driving myself and for some odd reason I keep falling asleep on planes :P (not to mention that the PSP wouldn't last a flight from Washington to Florida or any of the other places I go on planes)

  6. #21

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lakewood, CA
    Posts
    4,539
    Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    interesting I've been watching the hardware sales and this week
    http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=5086


    I'd also like to point out that Rare was not a third party but a second party Rare was OWNED by Nintendo until they sold it to Microsoft for a rather large price

    after selling Rare Nintendo bought Retro studios which produces the Metriod Prime series (well bought them fully, Retro was already a second party but they have since been turned into a fully integrated part of Nintendo much like HAL labs has been for a long time)

    it should also be noted that Nintendo's second party system attributed much to the failure of the N64. basicaly Nintendo figured they'd do everything themselves and use second parties as their own pawns as well pretty much kicking third parties in the teeth by subjecting them to a regerous testing program to see if their games were "good enough" to be released on their system

    Nintendo's approach now is to create a system that is the easiest and cheapest to develope for which is actualy what has led to the success of the Gameboy historicaly as well as the triumph of the PS over the N64


    I find the PSP's music feature to be a bit bleh, Apples already saying the Ipod will die out to cellphones eventualy and I can believe that, my cell phone will last longer then the PSP does of course almost anything can outlast a PSP

    I don't quite get the use of looking at digital pictures everywere

    the video is a good idea but it's much to draining on battery life


    the PSP would be a great gaming system if it'd get good games and have a decent battery life but sadly it's not getting either for a while yet (they only announce more movies these days)

    I can also point out that while PSP games are rentable in japan the DS gets free content if your in a gaming store something Nintendo really SHOULD bring over to america (along with the Play Yan but I hear they're considering that)


    I think both systems will slash prices for the christmas season in all liklyhood but I think the DS will have the edge with what is looking like a HUGE amount of killer apps along with other third party releases and the launch of their free online service


    it can also be noted that there are many other facets to the handheld market that your not considering, will the more "mature" market even buy handhelds in mass?

    I cerntainly have found myself with less interest in a handheld as I no longer go on long car rides without driving myself and for some odd reason I keep falling asleep on planes :P (not to mention that the PSP wouldn't last a flight from Washington to Florida or any of the other places I go on planes)
    If you're watching movies on a memory card, the PSP can last for up to 6 hours. And the PSP lasts longer than most portable DVD and Laptop batteries, giving the traveler the added bonus of a small convient package and longer battery life. Honestly, I've never had any issues with my PSP. The picture viewer is perfect for showing people cool pics of events (E3) among other things. And the JPEG viewer allows a person to view more than just pictures. I have succesfully downloaded magazines, comics, and a few books. I also have friends who have turned their PSP's into emulators. The possibilities are infinite with the PSP as far as mutlimedia goes. And the fact that you can download free programs that will rip DVDs to your hard drive, compress them, and allow them to be viewed on the PSP gives you an alternative to buying UMDs until the DVD/UMD bundles start. I downloaded the Mickey Mouse in Living Color Walt Disney Treasure onto my PSP, and watched my favorite cartoons while waiting for the gates to open on May 5th.

    I own an Ipod and it's true that the PSP holds no match to a dedicated music player, but it's still a good extra, and files sound very clear on the PSP.

    You can also rent PSP games at any Blockbuster, and soon you may be able to rent UMDs well.

    As far as games go, I love Ridge Racer, and the "ports" are often better than their console counter parts. THUG Remix has more features and more maps than the console versions. NBA Street and NFL street boast more game modes than the originals too.

    And if any system is going to have killer apps, it's Sony. With Burnout Revenge, SOCOM, Grand Theft Auto, and Gran Turismo coming soon, it will be a blowout. The market has changed, the reason why Nintendo has dominated the Handheld market is because all the competitors released "kid" systems. The Sony PSP is changing the way videogames and consoles are being looked at, and it is getting more and more widely known in the states.

    I travel a lot and I find the PSP not only offers better gaming, graphics, functionality, but convience as well. The DS is more of a novelty item, and the whole touch screen is under utilized by most games. There are some good games coming for the DS though. The surgical game was very promising, but gamers (who are at average 16-33) will gravitate towards more mature games. And those games are on the PSP.

  7. #22

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,857
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    If you're watching movies on a memory card, the PSP can last for up to 6 hours. And the PSP lasts longer than most portable DVD and Laptop batteries, giving the traveler the added bonus of a small convient package and longer battery life. Honestly, I've never had any issues with my PSP. The picture viewer is perfect for showing people cool pics of events (E3) among other things. And the JPEG viewer allows a person to view more than just pictures. I have succesfully downloaded magazines, comics, and a few books. I also have friends who have turned their PSP's into emulators. The possibilities are infinite with the PSP as far as mutlimedia goes. And the fact that you can download free programs that will rip DVDs to your hard drive, compress them, and allow them to be viewed on the PSP gives you an alternative to buying UMDs until the DVD/UMD bundles start. I downloaded the Mickey Mouse in Living Color Walt Disney Treasure onto my PSP, and watched my favorite cartoons while waiting for the gates to open on May 5th.

    I own an Ipod and it's true that the PSP holds no match to a dedicated music player, but it's still a good extra, and files sound very clear on the PSP.

    You can also rent PSP games at any Blockbuster, and soon you may be able to rent UMDs well.

    As far as games go, I love Ridge Racer, and the "ports" are often better than their console counter parts. THUG Remix has more features and more maps than the console versions. NBA Street and NFL street boast more game modes than the originals too.

    And if any system is going to have killer apps, it's Sony. With Burnout Revenge, SOCOM, Grand Theft Auto, and Gran Turismo coming soon, it will be a blowout. The market has changed, the reason why Nintendo has dominated the Handheld market is because all the competitors released "kid" systems. The Sony PSP is changing the way videogames and consoles are being looked at, and it is getting more and more widely known in the states.

    I travel a lot and I find the PSP not only offers better gaming, graphics, functionality, but convience as well. The DS is more of a novelty item, and the whole touch screen is under utilized by most games. There are some good games coming for the DS though. The surgical game was very promising, but gamers (who are at average 16-33) will gravitate towards more mature games. And those games are on the PSP.

    I don't know that your casual human is smart enough to edit their own media (hence why I have doubts about Nintendo's play yan which does many of the same things but also requires you to handle most media tweaking yourself)


    I dissagree on the "kid" system idea, Nintendo has recently determined that it will spread out into other areas of gaming as well as creating games for "non gamers" in an attempt to increase the appeal of their systems even further (it should be noted that non gaming games like Brain Games and Nintendogs are huge hits in japan and Electroplankton is another "non gamer" game on the way)

    I don't see were Nintendo has really been kiddy at all it's more of a thing Microsoft and Sony say that really hasn't been proven

    Grand Theft Auto certainly will be a contender though, I've played Grand Turismo but I've found most versions of it a bit overrated and bland (I like the ability to sabatoge my opponents)


    the DS is still getting the main bulk of the games right now

    admitedly many of thema re GBA++ ports but if you've seen Nintendo's E3 lineup then there are many good things coming there way and many company's are really starting to push the systems limits and figure out how to develope good games for it

    a completly origional Mario Brothers is on the way (final a non port sidescroller) wise move it'll have much retro appeal with older gamers and appeal to younger ones if you ask me

    I could go on and on about different games that are coming

    I've heard Castlevainia will be good

    Nintendo is doing a pretty good job as of late in it's outreach to all ages (the only kiddie thing I've seen them do was trying to force Windwaker into a rated E for everyone deal but they're now turning it around with the new Zelda which will be much more mature)

    yes there is some desire for "mature" games but who's to say the DS won't have them

    I don't mind mature games but it's not an immediate requirement that every game I play have sex and hidious gore in it (it should be noted that much of the work to bring FPS to the home console was done by Nintendo first :P)


    you also have to remeber that most development studios like handheld games to have about half the developers working on a game then what they'll give a console game, many developers are not looking forward to paying tons on handheld games when they're trained to the low expense market it's always been

    the N64 was MUCH more powerful then the Playstation but the playstation won because it had the most games and it got the most games because it was EASIER to program for then the N64 and the Saturn (which were both extremely hard to develope for)

    the PSP has the edge with graphics but all the other features arn't really that great if you ask me (admitedly the movie playback is better then a laptop probably one of the reasons you don't see much actual laptop gaming or movie playing)

    the PSP's battery life is still much to short for a handheld which has long been designed for a kind of casual recharging (thrown out the window witht he PSP if you forget to recharge it while your on a trip then your bound to loose use of it really fast)

    the durability is another knock against it considering how much of a beating systems take just by putting them in your pocket and taking them back out (it has such a beautiful screen that when I played one I became horribly afraid of scratching such a thing and it's plastic does take scratches easily from what I've seen)

    the DS is a but more ruggidized I could probably play hacky sack or whatever with it and then still open it up and run some actual games on it


    the DS won't neccisarily use EVERY feature in EVERY game it gets different games will use different aspects of the system so that more variety can be had on the system (some games will be voice activated others will use the dual feature others using the touch screen others the wireless some will use only the 3D ability's and of course some will use all of the above)


    the free online will probably really do great for the system too, Nintendo has said all first party games will be free completly and they will be launching the free online Animal Crossing and Mario Kart this year (both killer aps)


    we can go back and forth on this for a long time

    truth is right now the DS is owning the PSP in japan as it gets game after game over there and these games will soon be hitting the states putting the DS's lineup ahead of the PSPs at least for a little while

    we'll never know how good either is until I generaly would say a year after launch (I always buy a year after launch because at this point you can tell what games it'll have and you can see the real potential)

    it's also worth pointing out that the DS is called a third pillar not an actual GBA replacement (nintendo has said this for a long time)

    yes likly it is a test of some sort just like the Virtual Boy (but so far the DS is doing far better then the Virtual Boy)

  8. #23

    • New Dog on the Block
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Back in the Light Realm
    Posts
    65
    Well, I work at EB, so let me say...
    The X-BOX 360 will be wicked awesome! Definetly pre-order that one.
    The Playstation 3 will be good, but expect the first shipment to have a lot of problems. And why does the controller look like a Bat-a-rang?
    The Nintendo Revolution is still shrouded in secrecy, anything you read is speculation. The only thing that has been announced for sure is that it will be able to play all Nintendo games ever produced, even some that were never originally released in the US (Final Fantasy 3 anyone?). The most likely method is download from a Nintendo protected website.
    The GBA micro is a gimmick. This is the third GBA, move on.
    I just finished Kingdom Hearts 2 and now I WANT A MICKEY!

  9. #24

    • I was deleted.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    13,187
    Oh my. You have really been getting into a heated discussion here now haven't you? I am probably not as hard core as most of you are so you should just consider me an up-and-coming gamer. Personally I love my Nintendo. My only consoles are my NES and Cube. I also have the GBA and GBA SP.

    I am a very competitive person and so I like to play games where I can win. I am also not a fan of most stategy games so I tend to play more Mario and Mario-like games.

    As far as the new consoles are concernded I just heard from an X-box and PS fan that the new X-Box doesn't look that good and appears to be quite cheap. I guess we shall have to see about that one. On the other hand I am excited to play older Nintendo games again. That is one reason why I love my NES because I can still play Super Mario Bros 2 & 3. I just wish I still had others like Zelda to play also.

  10. #25

    • Que que no-tu-rah.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    232
    Peronally I have no interest in Xbox 306 or PS3. I haven't heard or seen one thing that gets me excited about them. The Revolution on the the other hand has me drooling, even without knowing what's so revolutionary about it.

    Aside from being able to play most of Nintendo's library of console games on the Revolution, the attitude of Nintendo is what attracts me to the system. They seem to be passionate about video games and want to broaden our notion of what games are and can be. It's all very exciting.

    Then you see games like ElectroPlankton and Nintendogs being released for the DS. Games which are innovative that reach new kinds of gamers while entertaining current gamers - exactly what the Revolution is supposed to do too. It all sounds so exciting to me!
    What if the Hokey-Pokey really is what it's all about?

  11. #26

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lakewood, CA
    Posts
    4,539
    Quote Originally Posted by yensid98
    Peronally I have no interest in Xbox 306 or PS3. I haven't heard or seen one thing that gets me excited about them. The Revolution on the the other hand has me drooling, even without knowing what's so revolutionary about it.

    Aside from being able to play most of Nintendo's library of console games on the Revolution, the attitude of Nintendo is what attracts me to the system. They seem to be passionate about video games and want to broaden our notion of what games are and can be. It's all very exciting.

    Then you see games like ElectroPlankton and Nintendogs being released for the DS. Games which are innovative that reach new kinds of gamers while entertaining current gamers - exactly what the Revolution is supposed to do too. It all sounds so exciting to me!
    Sounds like Giga Pets for the 2000's....

    Nintendo's attitude can be described as behind the times. For example, for the longest time Nintendo has been the most innovative game company in the market. However, each generation it seems to get a little further and further behind in the industry race...

    The Nintendo Revolution's greatest plus, is the fact that it plays all retro games... Not saying much when the main reason people want to buy your system is because they can play games from the NES and SNES...

    You can always count on a new Mario Party, Mario Kart, Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, Mario Goes to the Dentist, etc. But how long has it been since we've had a mario game as good as Mario 64? We haven't.

    The Nintendo DS's gimmicks are running out. Game Magazines and television shows are all questioning what's next for the system, and many have stated that even though the system itself is unique, the lack of games that actually utilize its technology are few and far in between. Nintendogs will be a good game to introduce to new gamers, but unless something changes, Sony is going to snatch a lot of Nintendo's fire.
    Last edited by Soulquarian; 06-09-2005 at 03:55 PM.

  12. #27

    • is confuzzled.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    Sounds like Giga Pets for the 2000's....
    How do you figure? :confused:

  13. #28

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lakewood, CA
    Posts
    4,539
    Quote Originally Posted by disneyland dude
    How do you figure? :confused:
    Nintendogs is a game where you raise dogs. It's currently the reason why the Nintendo DS is outselling the PSP in Japan, and it's basically the Giga Pet thing in a new format.

  14. #29

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,857
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    Sounds like Giga Pets for the 2000's....

    Nintendo's attitude can be described as behind the times. For example, for the longest time Nintendo has been the most innovative game company in the market. However, each generation it seems to get a little further and further behind in the industry race...

    The Nintendo Revolution's greatest plus, is the fact that it plays all retro games... Not saying much when the main reason people want to buy your system is because they can play games from the NES and SNES...

    You can always count on a new Mario Party, Mario Kart, Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, Mario Goes to the Dentist, etc. But how long has it been since we've had a mario game as good as Mario 64? We haven't.

    The Nintendo DS's gimmicks are running out. Game Magazines and television shows are all questioning what's next for the system, and many have stated that even though the system itself is unique, the lack of games that actually utilize its technology are few and far in between. Nintendogs will be a good game to introduce to new gamers, but unless something changes, Sony is going to snatch a lot of Nintendo's fire.
    http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=5145
    yet another week and the DS is still selling over the PSP

    strangly enough while Nintendo gets further behind as you put it they still manage to introduce the most features that are then copied by the competitors

    only microsoft has shown real initiative in bringing new things to the table for gaming and if the Xbox360 is any indication then Microsoft is now out of ideas. Nintendo is doing much more then just the backwords compatiblitity so far we only know that the system looks good will be small, have wireless controlers, free internet gaming service and downloadable backwords compatibility (all these things being announced early to build up hype while not giving away anything stealable) don't count the Revolution out until you know what the heck it is.

    While I too am annoyed by the Mario spinoffs (except Mario Kart which is just too origional to complain about never been dissapointed with Mario Kart) you can't deny the fact that they sell, Mario Party is a huge family franchise and it requires low developement time but sells in high volumes (it doesn't appeal the hardcore person but casual gamers love these quick and fun mini games, on portables they have the similar franchise Wario Ware which gets much praise from different companies)


    I don't see how these "gimmicks" as you call them are wearing out at E3 we saw even more uses for them (voice activation is becoming more used the dual screen concept is of course there but not always a focal point, analog emulation and mouse emulation for FPS is becoming more prevelant as well) I don't see how the DS will run out of steam it can play both standard games that we've seen for years and years bizzare games that haven't been seen before AND it can turn things like FPS which are quite awkward on handhelds into something a bit more plausable (the PSP isn't good at FPS without dual analog controls)

    with the DS's weaker hardware developers are able to make more games faster and are able to try more ideas out with it (the DS has better gameplay support for more genre's then the PSP, point and click adventures and FPS are much better controled on the DS due to it's mouse like touch screen)


    oh and btw right now in japan Nintendogs isn't the #1 pusher of DS sales (it was a few weeks ago) now it's Brain Games which has actualy been selling to even older people who ussualy don't play games at all (just like Nintendogs sells more to girls which is another market that doesn't generaly play games)


    seems to me that Nintendo is doing the right things in concentraiting on community and broadening things out from the typical hardcore market that gaming has been in the past

    I enjoy this because it gives me good variety in what I can buy I'm not stuck with all violent or all cutsy or all FPS or all RPG I can play many different things

    the DS is a much better focased gaming machine then the PSP in that respect

    it's also stronger in portability with longer battery life, higher durabilitity and lack of load times meaning I can pick it up and play it whenever handle it fairly roughly and not worry too much about battery life (all good for when your really gaming on the go)

  15. #30

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lakewood, CA
    Posts
    4,539
    Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=5145
    yet another week and the DS is still selling over the PSP

    strangly enough while Nintendo gets further behind as you put it they still manage to introduce the most features that are then copied by the competitors

    only microsoft has shown real initiative in bringing new things to the table for gaming and if the Xbox360 is any indication then Microsoft is now out of ideas. Nintendo is doing much more then just the backwords compatiblitity so far we only know that the system looks good will be small, have wireless controlers, free internet gaming service and downloadable backwords compatibility (all these things being announced early to build up hype while not giving away anything stealable) don't count the Revolution out until you know what the heck it is.

    While I too am annoyed by the Mario spinoffs (except Mario Kart which is just too origional to complain about never been dissapointed with Mario Kart) you can't deny the fact that they sell, Mario Party is a huge family franchise and it requires low developement time but sells in high volumes (it doesn't appeal the hardcore person but casual gamers love these quick and fun mini games, on portables they have the similar franchise Wario Ware which gets much praise from different companies)


    I don't see how these "gimmicks" as you call them are wearing out at E3 we saw even more uses for them (voice activation is becoming more used the dual screen concept is of course there but not always a focal point, analog emulation and mouse emulation for FPS is becoming more prevelant as well) I don't see how the DS will run out of steam it can play both standard games that we've seen for years and years bizzare games that haven't been seen before AND it can turn things like FPS which are quite awkward on handhelds into something a bit more plausable (the PSP isn't good at FPS without dual analog controls)

    with the DS's weaker hardware developers are able to make more games faster and are able to try more ideas out with it (the DS has better gameplay support for more genre's then the PSP, point and click adventures and FPS are much better controled on the DS due to it's mouse like touch screen)


    oh and btw right now in japan Nintendogs isn't the #1 pusher of DS sales (it was a few weeks ago) now it's Brain Games which has actualy been selling to even older people who ussualy don't play games at all (just like Nintendogs sells more to girls which is another market that doesn't generaly play games)


    seems to me that Nintendo is doing the right things in concentraiting on community and broadening things out from the typical hardcore market that gaming has been in the past

    I enjoy this because it gives me good variety in what I can buy I'm not stuck with all violent or all cutsy or all FPS or all RPG I can play many different things

    the DS is a much better focased gaming machine then the PSP in that respect

    it's also stronger in portability with longer battery life, higher durabilitity and lack of load times meaning I can pick it up and play it whenever handle it fairly roughly and not worry too much about battery life (all good for when your really gaming on the go)
    LOL, Nintendo does well in Japan, not the states. Most Gaming magazines rate the DS as below the PSP. Don't believe read your current issue of Gamepro. Need more proof? Watch Techtv. More than that you say? Read EGM. They all say that the DS isn't as great as everyone sounds. While it may have the potential to have great games, it doesn't, and for all the features that the handheld has, very few games use them...

    Wireless controllers? Everyone's doing that. Internet? Wasn't it Nintendo that said gamers don't want to play games online? Nintendo is just a kid friendyl company, that milks its franchises to the bone, and calls "gimmicks" originality.

    You can give the numbers all you want for Japan's market, but we live in America, and the market here is different than theirs. The DS is a much better gaming machine?

    You talk about how much the DS is better at playing FPS than the PSP, but you haven't even played any yourself, and the new SOCOM for PSP was one of the best handheld games at the trade show!

    The only advantage that the DS has is price, clam-shell design, and battery life. But you hold on to that Nintendo fanboy-ism... it's admirable.

    So let's see, what major videogame editorial websites say the PSP is better than the DS:

    ign
    G4TV.com
    Gamepro

    Just google Nintendo DS vs. Sony PSP and you'll see a clear winner...
    Last edited by Soulquarian; 06-11-2005 at 04:23 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How Much Energy to Game Systems use - ALOT
    By sir clinksalot in forum The Tech Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-20-2008, 02:56 PM
  2. rank game systems any kind
    By cosmic_man in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-05-2008, 09:16 AM
  3. Disney opening a game studio to develop for Nintendo systems
    By Jspider in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-08-2006, 08:52 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2006, 07:30 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-04-2006, 06:56 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •