Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

New PS3 "Home" feature coming?

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but you can judge for yourself:

Quote Originally Posted by 1up.com
    Word on the Internet travels fast. From a entry at Kotaku detailed an alleged Sony PlayStation 3 feature to be announced next week at GDC called home, to a sleuth-y NeoGAF poster named GoFreak (the poster uncovered the recent SCEE patent for Home, see image), and the subsequent firestorm that emerged when Kotaku's original story hit. There's a panel next week at the Game Developer conference called "The Experience is King: Social Gaming for the Next Generation" with Dave Ranyard (Creative Services Manager, SCEE), Mike Haigh (Studio Director, SCE London Studio), which has gotten even more interesting with the patent's emergence from SCEE.

But what is this potential 'Home?' Kotaku's insider said this:
    "Basically, you get to make an avatar for your console (like a Mii) and this avatar has a room. As you play games and accomplish certain tasks, you will receive items with which to adorn the room that are specific to the game (achievements). The kicker is that this is going to be a new requirement for every PS3 game..."
    Another GAF poster claims:
    "I have a friend who I maybe see once or twice a year who is a graphic artist for Sony in London. Last time I met with him which is going back at least a good 9 months if not more, I had a chat with him about what he was working on. He talked about some sort of abstract world that was part interface, part virtual world. He seemed to be suggesting it would be part of the PS3 interface as opposed to a stand alone game, and he seemed genuinely excited about it. Anyhoo, it was over a few beers with a group of people and while he talked about ideas I struggled to visualise what he was actually involved with, apart from it was abstract and sounded strangely like Animal Crossing (but in my head I had a much more neon / cyberpunk image, not sure if that was because of something he mentioned previously). He also used the word 'avatar' a lot."
    Kotaku lined up a series of quotes from various Phil Harrison interviews before drawing up an outline of the rumor.
    "If you are going to have an avatar which is your representative in a virtual world, it has to stand for more of your personality than some 2-D cartoons. So while I think that millions of people would be happy with cartoony looks, the planet at large probably isn't. And it's an experiment that will be played out very soon, actually." -- Newsweek "We have something big coming up for the PlayStation Network, but I can't say anything about that yet. It has something to do with the Home Button on the SIXAXIS controller, and with the community." -- Next Generation Gamer
    So we move from product based to service based, starting with packaged product augmented by downloadble content. We'll enhance this with social networks, the MySpace experience, this will be a key part of the PlayStation3 going forward. What brings it to life is the voice chat, the text chat, the video, the social features we're building in for the future.
    The dots seem to connect and a too-public email exchange between Kotaku and Dave Karraker seems to confirm Home, but officially, Sony denies the rumor, "We do not comment on rumors or speculation." However, with all of the "insider" information and piecing together of leaks, do we really have a clear picture of what a prospective "Home" service would be? We might not know until next week at GDC.

• Circle of Ancients

Re: New PS3 "Home" feature coming?

Hmmm ... sounds like they are taking a page from the Mii.

This quote I find funny ...

"If you are going to have an avatar which is your representative in a virtual world, it has to stand for more of your personality than some 2-D cartoons. So while I think that millions of people would be happy with cartoony looks, the planet at large probably isn't.
    Yeah, that's why the Wii is greatly outselling the PS3 even though you still can't find a Wii and there seems to be PS3's everywhere.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Yeah, that's why the Wii is greatly outselling the PS3 even though you still can't find a Wii and there seems to be PS3's everywhere.
    Nobody's buying a Wii to play with Mii's though. It's because it's so cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian View Post
    I bought my Wii for the plain and simple fact that it has the virtual console. I agree that the Mii thing is not really what I bought it for, but it is a nice little feature to occupy sometime. The price on the Wii is a great selling point though. I have already bought a 360, and I currently have NO plans to get a PS3. Too much money, and none of the games I have played on it make me want to rush out and buy one. For the amount they go for, I could get a nice new comp for gaming.

• Head Postmaster of Random

In a lay-z boy licking stamps and slaping minions...

oh definately...if i could have either for free even the 360 included...ps3 takes the cake, and i garauntee when blue-ray becomes more common the price will come down and well ps3 will greatly outsell a wii in the long run...but most dont wanna shell 500-600$ for a game system/blue ray/ dvd player ya know? but games and graphics wise...ps3 > wii, 360 is best value atm IMO...just my .02
    "Permane Ser Sentados Por Favor"
    "Watch out for anything that ssssslliittherzzz"
    "Launch control, LV....Go ahead....All video recorders off."

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    I'm glad that you have an interest concerning postal delivery, mousephreak. We've needed better mail service for some time now. Therefore, with the power vested in me it is of great delight that I dub thee, Head Post Office Dude of Random. Arrise and start licking those stamps! We're backed up, and time is money.
    If you won the lottery what would you do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Buy a bunch of monkeys and have them re-enact the Civil War for my amusement.

• Circle of Ancients

Good point SoulQ. Nobody is buying the Wii for the Mii feature.

But do you really think people will start buying the PS3 for the "Home" feature????

Doubtful.

• white and nerdy

... It kind of sounds exciting to me. I have a bunch of Mii's and kind of wish I had more to do with them... I like it that they show up on friends Wiis and that they race each other in Warioware, but The Sony version seems to be quite a lot cooler.

I can only speak for myself, but I bought a Wii before a PS3 because it was cheaper. As soon as I got the money to spare, I'll lay it down for a PS3. I'm excited for it.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Good point SoulQ. Nobody is buying the Wii for the Mii feature.

But do you really think people will start buying the PS3 for the "Home" feature????

Doubtful.
    We'll have to see how they implement this "home" feature. Everyone on the net seems to love their Mii's. However, Nintendo has NO plans to incorporate them in third party games. One EA developer made a statement saying that Nintendo was not giving dev kits out to allow developers to utilize Mii's...

Sony is talking about making this home feature standard across the board. So every game that comes out will be tied in to the new home button. That's a step in the RIGHT direction, while Nintendo is still giving third parties the stiff arm.

The PS3 needs games. If the games were top notch, people would feel less troubled in making a decision to buy a PS3. Unfortunately, their powerhouse titles are coming later this year.

• Nobody's little weasel.

...Nintendo has NO plans to incorporate them in third party games. One EA developer made a statement saying that Nintendo was not giving dev kits out to allow developers to utilize Mii's...
    I think it's another slightly unnecessary, yet slightly reasonable safety precaution on Nintendo's part. With full freedom, Mii's can be put into fighting games, shooting games, and even car-jacking/whore riding/police killing/mob blasting games (not naming any names). If you remember the whole illogical Columbine incident, the culprits were youngsters who had previously modded "Doom" so that the in-game enemies looked like people they know. The nation went in a frenzy. Nintendo is taking steps to prevent these unsubstantiated yet very possible frenzies.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by pizzamousechips View Post
    I think it's another slightly unnecessary, yet slightly reasonable safety precaution on Nintendo's part. With full freedom, Mii's can be put into fighting games, shooting games, and even car-jacking/whore riding/police killing/mob blasting games (not naming any names). If you remember the whole illogical Columbine incident, the culprits were youngsters who had previously modded "Doom" so that the in-game enemies looked like people they know. The nation went in a frenzy. Nintendo is taking steps to prevent these unsubstantiated yet very possible frenzies.
    Nintendo doesn't have those types of games anyway though. Even if that were a concern, I highly doubt generic looking Mii's would be implemented into a context that would warrant such a response.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by pizzamousechips View Post
    I think it's another slightly unnecessary, yet slightly reasonable safety precaution on Nintendo's part. With full freedom, Mii's can be put into fighting games, shooting games, and even car-jacking/whore riding/police killing/mob blasting games (not naming any names).
    That would probably be the most bizarre thing ever.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Certain parties here have been calling the remote-styled gameplay a gimmick.

As far as gimmicks go, the remote has nothing on Mii's. I still can't even figure out WHY.

from what I understand home is supposed to be an odd mixture of Mii's and Xbox360's accomplishement/gamertag system or something were you can both design a representation of yourself and show off your accomplishments through decorations in the room and on your character

I deffinatly think Nintendo needs to play catch up a bit with those features (some of which I had already thought would/should eventualy be added to the Mii system anyways) I wouldn't go as far to say Nintendo won't allow third party's access to the Mii's but clearly they haven't allowed for it up till now and much like online support it's just another thing they really need to push out to development studios (along with MORE development kits in general it seems)

moving back to the PS3 I think it's a wise move, not sure how much it'll sell systems but it will be a nice feature to add and strengthening up their services could go a ways towards getting people to buy it. I'm still not expecting that mirical price drop or sudden DVD turnover just yet I think PS3's got at least another year to stand on it's own legs. I'm also wondering how many of it's big games will actualy see this year, I expect a few of them to arrive for the holidays but for some reason I think we won't see too many of them until 2008 (of course whats on my mind right now is Final Fantasy and 12 was pretty recent anyways)

• Minion

More information about the "Home" feature:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/770/770995p1.html

Quote Originally Posted by IGN.com

March 7, 2007 - After a week of message board speculation and blog drama, Sony Computer Entertainment has confirmed the existence of its proprietary PS3 community service, "Home." Entirely 3D and based around the idea of personal "avatars," Home gives users the ability to walk around a virtual world where they can interact with their fellow gamers, view trophies earned for successful play, and take part in various multimedia activities.

"This is a significant step forward in the area of user community services and emergent entertainment experiences," said Izumi Kawanishi, Corporate Executive and CTO of Software, SCEI. "While the 3d graphics demonstrate the power of the PS3 and the PlayStation Network, the most impressive feature in home is the variety of ways in which multiple consumers, as well as our third-party partners, can experience the next generation of communication by interacting and sharing amongst each other. I feel strongly that this unique blend of community, user-generated content, collaboration and commerce will expand the future of computer entertainment."

Sony will conduct a closed beta test for Home this April before rolling out the full version, which will be free for all those who download it, in the autumn.

More pictures on the IGN website.

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Nintendo doesn't have those types of games anyway though. Even if that were a concern, I highly doubt generic looking Mii's would be implemented into a context that would warrant such a response.
    Research... research. Wii is getting more R-rated titles like Manhunt 2 (which I have only heard is coming out just on the Wii), Mortal Kombat, Grand Theft Auto, etc. etc.

I certainly wouldn't want my Mii to run around in Manhunt 2... but yah. A Mii is just another GamerTag... except that you can't do a lot of stuff that a GamerTag does.
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast