Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• A Pirate's Life for Me

03/05/07 - Yavn Speaks

3/5 – This week, new prizes are added to the EPCOT Quest, HOST_Hula makes over a lucky VMK'ers guest room and Yavn plans a visit to the Far East! Plus, the scoop on the Green Space Suit, Yeti and more!
    Welcome to March! VMK is going 'Green' this month – what does that mean? Well, all through the month of March we'll be talking about the environment and how you can make a difference and help save the planet. We'll also show you how The Walt Disney Company is making the Disney Parks and Resorts more Earth friendly, plus we'll have cool tips on how you can 'Think Green' too!

Lost in Green Space!
    Did you all pick up your Green Space Vest this weekend? It was on sale in the Emporium over the weekend – but you'll be able to complete the outfit with Green Space Pants, Shoes and a Helmet – they'll all be on sale too in the next few weeks.

The Green Space Vest will make your friends 'green' with envy. :-)
    This Friday, look for the Green Space Pants! Be sure to check the Community Calendar for exact details, just remember this gear is on sale for a limited time! Just swing by the Emporium Specials and pick them up Friday through Sunday.

You Asked For It! You Got It!
    Judging by the sheer number of Quests completed and your feedback for the EPCOT Quest and EPCOT Guest Room, the Quest has been a huge success. As a special thanks to all our players we're going to make completing the remaining 2 EPCOT Quests even sweeter!
    Starting today we're adding NEW PRIZES for the third EPCOT Quest (that Quest launched today) and the fourth EPCOT Quest (it will kick off on March 12th). For EPCOT Quest 3, how about a Single Use Treasure Detector Magic Pin in addition to that Guest Room?

Single Use Treasure Detector Magic Pin, one of two new prizes you get when you complete the EPCOT Quest.
    And for EPCOT Quest 4 – a Single Use Dancing Inferno Magic Pin! Again, you'll still get the Epcot Guest room for completing the Quest (and these additional prizes!). Just remember that you have until March 31st to complete all the EPCOT Quests and these extra prizes are only for the third and fourth EPCOT Quests.

Treasure Keys
    Last week we talked a bit about Magic, this week I'd like to chat about the Pirates Treasure Room and the Treasure Keys. As you know, there are 3 treasure chests in the Treasure Room – Gold, Silver and Bronze. Of course to open each chest you need a Gold, Silver or Bronze key and to get them you will need to play the Pirates of the Caribbean game. You can play either Capture The Flag, or the Ship Battle game, every time you win 3 games, you'll win a key.

The Bronze Treasure Key.
    The key you win depends on the difficulty level you play (level 1 for Bronze, Level 2 for Silver and Level 3 for Gold). Now here's where it gets interesting! Once you've won a key, head on over to the correct chest in the Treasure Room and try it out. When you open the chest one of 2 things will happen: the chest will be empty, or the chest will have something cool inside!
    Let me repeat that – you may find treasure (like a Pirate Throne, a Cannon Wall, or even a Single Use Coral Magic Pin), or you may find the chest has already been ransacked and is empty. For those of you who regularly play Pirates and have all the prizes, keep playing as you may discover some different prizes very soon!

Room Makeover Update
    Last week HOST_Hula took over the Room Makeover reigns and added a dash of green in honor of 'Think Green' month. Over to you Hula!

HOST_Hula
    Aloha all! Wow, tonight was totally fun! I got to surf around the Virtual Magic Kingdom checking for Guest Rooms to makeover. I met some really nice players while on my search for the perfect room to makeover 'tropical style.'
    I came ashore on a lovely little Mad Hatter room owned by Eragon_rocks. Eragon_rocks was sitting by herself, looking for some friends to chill with. It looked like Eragon_rocks could use some help sprucin' up her room - HOST_Hula to the rescue!
    Eragon_rocks told me her favorite colors are green and black, and that she likes fountains and fun tropical stuff! Sounds a lot like my style! So I put in some pretty pirate thrones (nice and comfy for friends to chill in) to add a touch of style. I added some fountains to provide a tranquil area for visitors to hang out around.
    Eragon_rocks also wanted some music to replace her organ, so I put in two fancy green and black pirate player pianos!

The Mad Hatter room before…

…and after the sand was washed away.
    When I was all done, the room was certified chilly! If you see this room on the list, be sure to surf on in and chill for a while! Eragon_rocks will welcome you with her totally warm Aloha spirit. And to you Eragon_rocks, Mahalo for letting me makeover your room!
    -HOST_Hula

Party in Club 33?
    Have you won tickets to a Club 33 Party? HOST_Phinny hosted our first Club 33 Party last weekend, don't worry though, more are on the way. Keep on eye on the Community Calendar for details on our next event and how you can win tickets! Of course there's always my way… Win the title of Best Guest Room and you can have your own party with your very own host!
    Yavn Goes East!
    Whew, the last few weeks have been a crazy time here at VMK HQ. We've been putting the finishing touches on some new stuff that I'll be talking about next week (improvements for Host Rooms, and VMK Pass anyone?). But I'm most excited about a trip we'll be taking back East in a few weeks. No, not to Walt Disney World, I'm talking the Far East, to Hong Kong Disneyland and Tokyo Disneyland.

Yavn's going to Hong Kong Disneyland.
    Why? Well, VMK is not about any single Magic Kingdom, it's a mix of all of them and we try to make sure we spend as much time as we can in the other Parks – I'm planning on taking lots of pictures and I'll come back with a full report! Now do they have Churros in Hong Kong??? Ok, I'll take a Giza Dog instead!

Yeti Tells All!
    Alright then, that about wraps it up for this week, one last thing before I go - starting this week our good friend Yeti will be starting his new job as VMK Game Counselor! That's right, 'The King of Q&A' will now be specializing in answering game related questions.

The Yeti, who we fondly call Mr. Know-It-All around the office, will now be serving up VMK game play tips.
    Yeti will be talking about frequently asked questions and offer tips on how you can get the most out of VMK. Got a game question or topic for the Yeti? Drop him a line at through the Contact Us tool. Until next week...
    See you In VMK!
    Yavn
    Blackbird sitting in the dead of night
    Take these broken sings and learn to fly
    All your life
    You were only waiting for this moment to arise

"Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls... Disneyland proudly presents our spectacular festival pageant of nighttime magic and imagination in thousands of sparkling lights and electro-syntho-magnetic musical sounds -- The Main Street Electrical Parade!"

• you can't scare me :D

Re: 3/05/07 Yavn Speaks

OMFG! (sorry) i stopped at Single Use Dancing Inferno Magic

will continue reading
    formally known as:
    SkateboardP

• Banned User

Re: 3/05/07 Yavn Speaks

Awesome! A Single use inferno!

• 333: I'm only half evil!!

Blog Entries

Re: 03/05/07 Yavn Speaks

can't wait for that one time use inferno!!
    AP Holder.
    Stay at home mom of 4 - Austin, Tyler, Sierra and Ashlyn.

• Just_Jim in VMK

Post 3/5/2007 Yavn Speaks

Edit.
    Last edited by JimbobJimbo; 03-06-2007 at 04:50 AM.
    --Just_Jim

• Wish I was in WDW..

I am so excited for the single use inferno!!!

• Jambo!

Re: 3/5/2007 Yavn Speaks

Edit
    Last edited by goofgeek; 03-05-2007 at 05:18 PM.

• Banned User

Mod Note:
    Merged 2 Yavn says threads together...

• Bionic Village Babe/RCMC

i am ecstatic !!

Bionic Village Babe of the RCMC
    "Wisdom is knowing what you don't know" - Socrates

• Disney Dreams

This is the BEST yavn speaks I've read since the release of the Epcot rooms one
    Lovin' the inferno and treasure magic and pirates prizes and epcot rooms, and... just all of it!!!!!!!!

- more reason to celebrate the end of finals! ( at the end of this week ;-) )

• Just_Jim in VMK

I really don't see the point in one time use magic other than for the keys to the treasure chests and the treasure detector magic. I mean wow I can do inferno one time big Woot.
    --Just_Jim

• FallOut? where..!?

Wowie!
    the oc freak. <3*

I would be an absolute fan of 1 time use magic if they changed it in one of two ways: 1) Remove the time limit for use - It can only be used one time, it is clearly marked differently than the full power version, and it can't be traded, so why force people to use it within a certain time frame? Let people buy or win it and choose to keep and display it for as long as they want before they use it. 2) Make it available all the time, either as a prize for a game similar to the pirate keys, or in a shop. When I first heard they were offering 1 time use bat magic, I thought "Great, now people that couldn't afford regular bat magic can get it to finish the green car quest or any other quest that involves using that particular magic." I guess I was right in some respect. As long as you had already gotten to that portion of the quest, or would have within 30 days of the last day it was for sale.
    I just have never understood the expiration portion of single use magic. I know Yavn explained it by saying people never use their magic pins, but I don't believe that is true. I see people using magic all the time. The magic pins are my favorite pins and I use them regularly. If anything, I think the single use pins keep people from using magic, especially if their availability is limited. Since the pin can only be used once, I think people want to save it for some kind of special occasion, rather than a regular pin which can be used over and over again.
    However, I am excited about the fact that this will give many players who do not and probably never will have inferno a chance to show off that pin and perform the spell. I may be repeating a lot of what I just said, but I am going to paste a suggestion I made a few months ago concerning single use magic pins. I would like to get everyone's feedback and discuss the pros and cons of my idea.
    I have been mixed on my reaction to the 1 time use magic since it first appeared. I think it is a good idea to make magic more affordable for new players, especially so it can be used in quests that require it. On the other hand, I think that the time limit for use, coupled with the fact that the bat magic was only sold for a limited time make it kind of silly. I think the coral magic is a silly magic anyway, but the 1 time use makes it even sillier. When I get them, I feel like since I can only use it once, that I need to save it for a special occasion. Then, the deadline approaches and I end up just using it for no reason at all. I use all of my other magic whenever I can because they are my favorite pins, so I didn't need 1 time use to get me to use them more.
    I think 1 time use treasure detector is a good idea because it keeps a few people who might have an unlimited pin from getting more and more rare items while others get nothing.
    I think the best use for 1 time use magic is to allow new players who don't have access to all of the magic to have a lanyard full of magic pins. To achieve this goal, I propose that VMK tear down the Spell Room and replace it with a new shop: the Magic Shop. This shop would sell 1 time use of every magic pin (yes, even inferno) and could be used to sell the other full use magic pins like Bat and Snowman when they are available. The price for all of the 1 time use magic would be 200 credits, and they would be available year-round.
    This is the best of both worlds for all players.
    The players who are just starting and don't have rare or can't seem to trade for it could buy the magic and feel a little pride in their lanyard.
    Players who already have the unlimited magic would not lose any pride or prestige in their pins as they would if the unlimited pins were sold or made more available. The unlimited pins would be as rare and valuable as ever.
    I think that treasure detector could even be sold in the shop as a 1 time use pin because every time you use it is a gamble. People get nothing sometimes, other times they get lots of credits or a rare item.
    Also, this shop would have the same effect as the spell room, because players would be able to "test out" the magic pins before they try to trade for an unlimited version. Obviously, the spell room is free and this shop would cost credits, but I have two arguments to support the change. First, the free magic in the spell room only allows you to use it in 1 place. I have always found it quite disappointing to only be able to use the magic at the top of the staircase. The 1 time use Magic Shop would allow players to test out the magic where ever they want. As far as the cost is concerned, 200 credits is less than you earn just by clicking on the NPC's and mixing and playing a mix every day. There is no need to play any minigames or have any special skills to get this amount of credits. I think that is a small price to pay for the opportunity to use a magic like inferno that many players would otherwise never get a chance to try. There is a difference between taking a bag of magic up the staircase and actually having a pin you can wear and display and use when you want, where you want.
    Now that you have bothered to read my rambling, incoherent post, what does everyone think?
    Last edited by grayman; 03-06-2007 at 11:16 AM.

• Just_Jim in VMK

Quote Originally Posted by grayman View Post
    Magic Shop. This shop would sell 1 time use of every magic pin (yes, even inferno) and could be used to sell the other magic pins like Bat and Snowman when they are available. The price for all of the 1 time use magic would be 200 credits, and they would be available year-round.
    I must say that I totally support this. Actually I was thinking about posting this very same idea . A Magic Shop would be a good thing and like grayman said sell all of the one time use magics year-round.
    --Just_Jim

So do you guys think that the single use inferno and treasure magic will soon be available in the chests from the keys you get from pirates, as Yavns kinda hinting that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast