Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question A bad word on VMK?

Okay I'll preface this whole thing by saying that this topic is likely to upset some people. If you are one of those people, well, I can't apologize for being who and what I am, so please don't bother saying nasty stuff to me. The topic at hand is... Being gay on VMK.

Now I know VMK isn't meant to be a place where sexuality is an issue. But can you honestly say that you haven't seen someone talking about being "taken" or one of the hundreds of "boys meet girls" rooms and their variations? Personally, I'm not even the least bit interested in finding a "date" on VMK, but let's face it... There are lots of people who are.

That said... I don't think it's unfair to expect to be able to be who you are both on VMK and off, and for some people, especially teenagers, this is an easy way to make friends who are in a similar situation to theirs and who also share an interest.

Apparently, however, VMK doesn't necessarily feel the same way. I don't know if anyone has noticed, but in the last couple days (very surprisingly to me) a couple of "gay" rooms popped up on VMK. Funny thing is that they were made up of about 90% straight girls, 7% bashers, and 3% actual "gays". And guess what happened? The bashers complained.

Now at this point there may be one or two people (or one or two hundred?) who want to do some complaining. Fine. Feel free. My point is that this was a room that was open to everyone, but designated as being "gay friendly". So what harm did it do?

The ultimate result, though, was that the haters started filing complaints about the room, going so far as to openly admit that they would say anything to have any and all gays banned from VMK. Someone even started and anti-gay room.

Now I thought that it was against VMK policy to allow that kind of thing. But while the room I was in (where there was absolutely nothing inappropriate going on) was getting warned against adult behaviour and the like, the other room (to the best of my knowledge) went on unchecked.

So what's the deal? Is it really the sentiment of the majority that gays shouldn't be allowed on VMK? Because it's starting to look that way when people are losing their stuff and being banned because they were "gross and sick" (VMK staff member's words). If that's the case, maybe the real life parks need to reconsider the whole "gay days" celebrations too.

Any and all comments are welcome (public and private), but try to keep it at least a little bit respectful. Okay?

• Paint the Roses Red

Re: A bad word on VMK?

Sadly, VMK's system of justice (upholding rules and punishing rule breakers) can't be perfect. Sometimes, people will get banned for something they did not do; in this case, those people should use contact us, explain, and hopefully get their name cleared. Keep in mind, VMK just made a new value that allows not even one 'relationship room'; therefore, we can tell they do not discriminate against a certain sexuality, but are just trying to stop inappropriate behaviour. I also heard there was some 'adult' behaviour going on in some of those rooms and virtual 'throwing of chairs'; if this is true, then it was the actions happening in the room, not the sexuality of the people inside of it.

Oh, as a new member, you would not know the following: some previous threads, concerning similar matters, were closed because they got out of hand. Just a warning.
    Last edited by Lady_Ivory_Rocks; 03-13-2007 at 06:34 PM.

Well I can only comment on the two rooms I spent time in last night, and I can say with absolute certainty that the most volatile bit of conversation involved someone laughing at the comment that there were so many girls in what was supposed to be a "boys" room. Not exactly soap opera-esque in it's intensity is it? That said, I don't doubt that the potential for things to get out of hand in these rooms is pretty high. And I fully accept that VMK needs to keep a tight reign on that particular problem. This is, after all, for the younger set, and they certainly don't need any more exposure to violent or sexual behaviour than they already get on most TV programs.

Thanks for the warning. If this thread were to get out of hand I would happily accept it being closed and deleted. It was never my intention to cause a riot, simply to reaffirm that there are open minded people on VMK (and here) just as there are out in the rest of the world.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I think with the new values VMK are putting into place, they are telling everyone, no matter what kind of relationship you prefer, is not something that will be tolerated in game.

It is something that is supposed to be geared towards teenagers and children, I think they should leave out any reference to "any" relationship as I don't believe that particular outlet is appropriate.

• I was deleted.

I've posted this before just yesterday in another thread, but I think it still fits.

Yes, it is a family site. But here's the real shocker for you - it's also a Disney site. Disney has many fans of all kinds which creates a diverse following just like the community we have here on MiceChat.

While it's fine to discuss it, please keep in mind that while you are allowed to have an opinion, personal attacks or discussions which hurt other members aren't allowed.

And for the record - I have been in rooms in VMK called, Broke Back Mountain that multiple VMK staff members have been in and said it was okay. As long as members aren't trying to do sexual things in VMK or communicate outside of VMK, it is okay. They are just meeting and talking.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

I happen to believe that a game designed for kids is one of those places where a "don't ask, don't tell" policy is most appropriate. Besides, from time to time, I got the sense that some of the boys meet boys types weren't even gays, they were just idiots trying to creep out people who are creeped out by all things gay. When you think about it, I'd be surprised if many, if any, gay people were into that taken junk. If I'm wrong, feel free to tell me. I thought the taken junk was mostly done by a bunch of immature kids goofing off, and of the few friends and family of mine who are gay, by the time they were mature enough to understand and think of themselves as gay, they were more mature than the VMK taken crowd.
    Fight On! Beat the Red Wolves!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

• Why can't you tune a fish

I have an 8 year old that plays VMK. I am sure there are others out there that age as well. My 5 year old plays, but she does not read well enough that she can interpert dictionary dancing.

I know that my 8 year old knows that a man and a woman need to get together and "do somthing on purpose" to have kids. That came from her saying she did not want to become pregnant and so was staying away from boys so it would not happen by accident. I had to explain that there are certain definate steps you have to take in order to become pregnant, and playing Pokemon with your classmate is not one of them.

Any way, the point of this is, as you can see, my 8 year old is in "learning mode" right now, and is also intellegent enough to pick up in things being said on VMK. I find it hard to believe she is an isolated case. Right now I limit her VMK time, and pretty much hover when she is on. I don't want her learining about sexuality - either homo, hetero , bi, or any other flavor from a on-line world. So to that end, I think all of this stuff should go away.

Taken does not bother me as much, even gay taken is not too bad, as long as the taken (of any variety) is not in your face. I think its patently absurd and a waste of time and wonder about the social skills of people who participate in it, but from a parenting standpoint, my 8 year old understands dating. She is not dating of course, but she understands it. She has her little "crushes" on kids in her class, usualy because they are good at kickball or some other activity, but thats about it. As a parent if two people were to say "we are taken" on VMK, my 8 year old would understand that they are supposed to be dating. But when it gets into "gloving" and other assorted things, it starts going down that slippery slope.

in my opinion, the best way to prevent it from going to far, is to prevent it altogether. It's a virtual world, but it's not a COMPLETE virtual world, it's a select Disney-fied segment. As such they can sanitize it and block gay dating rooms, straight dating rooms, baby rooms, and any other rooms where things could get out of hand from the subject matter being discussed. There are a whole bunch of other rooms that could also be made that I don't think anybody wants to see in VMK but are also representitive or "real life" - "kids with no duh duh" room "kids with no mummy" room. "kids who mummy drinks bear" room, I could go on and on. Again all real life situations that some kids (unfortunately) must go though, but there really is no need for them in VMK. Have staff close those as well and any that are of a "relationship" nature.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• 1stOfficial Rider on Nemo

Smile Re: A bad word on VMK?

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    I have an 8 year old that plays VMK. I am sure there are others out there that age as well. My 5 year old plays, but she does not read well enough that she can interpert dictionary dancing.

I know that my 8 year old knows that a man and a woman need to get together and "do somthing on purpose" to have kids. That came from her saying she did not want to become pregnant and so was staying away from boys so it would not happen by accident. I had to explain that there are certain definate steps you have to take in order to become pregnant, and playing Pokemon with your classmate is not one of them.

Any way, the point of this is, as you can see, my 8 year old is in "learning mode" right now, and is also intellegent enough to pick up in things being said on VMK. I find it hard to believe she is an isolated case. Right now I limit her VMK time, and pretty much hover when she is on. I don't want her learining about sexuality - either homo, hetero , bi, or any other flavor from a on-line world. So to that end, I think all of this stuff should go away.

Taken does not bother me as much, even gay taken is not too bad, as long as the taken (of any variety) is not in your face. I think its patently absurd and a waste of time and wonder about the social skills of people who participate in it, but from a parenting standpoint, my 8 year old understands dating. She is not dating of course, but she understands it. She has her little "crushes" on kids in her class, usualy because they are good at kickball or some other activity, but thats about it. As a parent if two people were to say "we are taken" on VMK, my 8 year old would understand that they are supposed to be dating. But when it gets into "gloving" and other assorted things, it starts going down that slippery slope.

in my opinion, the best way to prevent it from going to far, is to prevent it altogether. It's a virtual world, but it's not a COMPLETE virtual world, it's a select Disney-fied segment. As such they can sanitize it and block gay dating rooms, straight dating rooms, baby rooms, and any other rooms where things could get out of hand from the subject matter being discussed. There are a whole bunch of other rooms that could also be made that I don't think anybody wants to see in VMK but are also representitive or "real life" - "kids with no duh duh" room "kids with no mummy" room. "kids who mummy drinks bear" room, I could go on and on. Again all real life situations that some kids (unfortunately) must go though, but there really is no need for them in VMK. Have staff close those as well and any that are of a "relationship" nature.

-dave
    I agree with dave. I play VMK and so do my 7 and 9 year old kids and I would rather they learn about relationships of any kind, at home and not on VMK. Yeti

Thumbs up Re: A bad word on VMK?

Wow, what a great group we have here. I know a big element in play is the fact that there are are parents replying to this, and (at least to my mind) that certainly has a bearing on the level of sensibility being displayed.

Personally I agree with pretty much everything being said here. The whole "taken" thing is pretty ridiculous (though from experience I knew my own preferences long before the concept of dating every came up, but I could just be the exception there), and VMK is definitely not the place to be trying to have any kind of "relationship" related discussions. Making friends on VMK is one of the highlights, but that's all it should be about, FRIENDS. Right? And, unfortunately, there are always going to be people who either can't or won't respect the rules, so they (VMK) has to take increasingly more drastic actions.

As for the comment about people coming into rooms and faking it just to annoy other people... The first time I saw that happening I was actually so surprised that I couldn't figure out a single thing to say. It was some girl, and she made a point of telling everyone, after the fact of course, that she only pretended to be gay when she was on VMK because otherwise she was bored. I think she needs to find something else to occupy her time.

There's really only one issue that's still bugging me now. Why would a VMK staff member (I'm assuming only the staff can have "VMK_" in front of their name) approach a player and tell them that they're gross and sick? Would that not be a violation of the house rules? Staff could, of course, be exempt, but that doesn't seem to be a sensible exemption.

Last thing (I promise) is that I want to thank everyone, not only for their responses, but for being so nice about the whole thing. I know that VMK has a lot of kids and teens, and sometimes they might run off at the mouth a bit, saying nasty things to people that they don't like, but sometimes it's easy to forget that that's all it is. A teen mouthing off. It really is nice to see that it isn't everyone trying to impose their personal standards of what's "acceptable" on to VMK. Now if only they'd release the EPCOT furniture I'd be perfectly content.

• Goodbye VMK.

i dont mind dictionary dancing, you?
    and so, the princess must leave her kingdom on May 21st, 2008. </3

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by VMKPrincess View Post
    i dont mind dictionary dancing, you?

I don't mind it at all, if it is not used for the wrong reasons.

For example, I had a room called "beach he.add" for a while. It was a Typhoon Lagoon room with castle walls on the sand. I was working on a game along the lines of taking a beachead on D-day, entering from the surf and having bunkers to advance through. Problem was the room is too small, castle walls are too big, and the concept sort of went over most peoples head (I guess they don't know what a beachead is)

My point is, beach and he.add was not "bad" there at all.

Now you want to call someone a "beach" or say things for other reasons, then I have a problem with that.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• ForEverLiveStrong

yeah there seems to be no more boy meet boy room or gir meet girl rooms
    Thanks VMK STAFF!

___ HOST_ForEverLiveStrong

_______ JK LOL

• Goodbye VMK.

Is that good for you or bad..?

• I was deleted.

Phonedave brings in a nice perspective to this issue too.

I would like to add that my experiences in the past with "gay taken rooms" were VERY low key. They never had anything with the words listed in the Values update in them and they didn't inform you of what sort of room you were in. If you were smart enough, you'd figure it out. It took the average kid about 10 minutes, but I only saw one stick around long enough to do so. The room was never on the popular list and was often set to friends only. I will agree that children should learn these things in the home with their family - not online in a virtual form.

It really should be interesting to see how this upgrade in VMK Values affects VMK. I do remember a MiceChatter posting how Lily (I believe it was her) said she didn't like taken or something along those lines. But at least now when we're staning in Main Street and a young girl goes to up anoter VMK player, says she is taken by him (although he says no and I have a girl of my own who is your age) and minutes later when she finally listens to him and she gets upset that he is going after young girls and it's gross that older people play VMK .... well, none of that can technically happen.

• Goodbye VMK.

These kids should know what they should and shouldn't be saying on vmk, i mean goodness!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast