• Minion

360 HD-DVD Add on Price drops

Blu-Ray FTW?

Quote Originally Posted by 1up.com
    It seems like just last year Sony was hyping the new Blu-Ray disc format in PlayStation 3 while Microsoft announced their allegiance with the opposing HD-DVD format (resulting in optional drive for Xbox 360). Actually, what do you know? That was just last year. Nevertheless, we're already receiving the first signs of the finish line in this race.

Kotaku reports a rumor popping up around the net that prices for the 360 HD-DVD add-on are beginning to fall rather sharply. How much? Reports are saying that Wal-Mart is ignoring the regular retail price of $199.99 to sell the drive for a very cheap $130. This is after reports that Blu-Ray movie sales are now surpassing HD-DVD sales after playing catch-up due to a later launch. It's still far too early to announce Blu-Ray as the winner and HD-DVD as dead and gone (though various analysts and studio heads have tried to do just that), but without some momentum in the opposite direction, Sony's choice may end up rolling over Microsoft's. If that does end up being the case, will Microsoft suck it up and offer a Blu-ray drive, too?

Re: 360 HD-DVD Add on Price drops

Its going to have to. They're screwed, Blu Ray has the better studios backing them up and they're advertised more. Have you ever seen an HD-DVD Commercial?

• Minion

I have when I watched an HD-DVD backed studio's DVD movie. It was actually REALLY informative. All I've seen from Blu-Ray's camp is a generic Disney commercial before Peter Pan.

The average person buying a High Def movie must already know about both formats. Everything's still to vague for the average consumer to know yet.

Quote Originally Posted by C-HOX View Post
    Its going to have to. They're screwed, Blu Ray has the better studios backing them up and they're advertised more. Have you ever seen an HD-DVD Commercial?
    Yup - when the move is out on both HD-DVD and BR, but thats the only time. I see more PSP movie commercials than HD-DVD ones.

I can tell you the sales of Blu Ray are KILLING the HD-DVD at the Best Buy where I work. It seems the only time we sell a HD-DVD is when we sell a HD player add-on for the 360 (which is not often), but the Blu Ray movies FLY off the shelf, we sell out of the new movies on Blu Ray each and every Tuesday without fail while the poor HD-DVDs just sit there.

• Disneyland is your land.

Where are these things going for less than $199.99? If anyone has a link I would greatly appreciate it.
    Class of 2005...

• Minion

I would just hold off to be honest with you. I'd feel kind of dumb if I bought an optional device that boosts my console's cost to the same as a higher priced console, only to find out no one supports said device anymore.

I am not going to bother getting the HD-DVD attachment to the 360 since it looks like blu-ray will bethe format to have