• Stitch <3

Turn right, go straight, take a left. Keep going. Keep going. Duck! Turn around, right. Found me! :)

I need help with social ( I dont know if americians know about this)

Ok so i need to make a newspaper of any thing that happened between the 1700-1830. I picked the tension in upper canada, with the family compact. Sorry if your americans dont know about this.

Anyways, for anyone who does know about this, i was wondering what i could add to my news article. It seems very short and, boring. I'm writing an article the William Lyon Mackenzie would have written in his news paper; The Conolnial Advocate.

Reformers Reform

Our precious money is not being used for our needs and wants. We have an Elected Assembly to state our needs but the Family Compact gets there way instead. We want our kids the go to public schools, but the Family Compact was in favour of private schools under the control of the Anglican Church, and they got what they wanted. They are stealing our money and refusing to give what we want. The pioneers need roads but the Family Compact wanted canals to transport there goods, so they convinced the government to build the Rideau, Welland, and St.Lawrence canals.
    We ordinary people do not matter; we are simply people giving our money to them. The government and the Compact have special connections. The Elected Assembly has no say in our money and we elected them. We picked those people to tell the government what we need, but they simply donít care, only the Compact matters. We need to show that we wonít take this for any longer. We need to get our needs not pointless wants. The legislative Council and the Executive Council should be elected, not appointed. We should have a say of where our money goes.

As you can see its very short and sounds... Not like a newspaper, any advise?

• FallOut? where..!?

Re: I need help with social ( I dont know if americians know about this)

Hmm..well we had to do a Broadcasting Project for Media awhile ago. I'll edit if I think of anything. But, you might also want to post this in the Teen Scene section if you are old enough.
    the oc freak. <3*

• Stitch &lt;3

Turn right, go straight, take a left. Keep going. Keep going. Duck! Turn around, right. Found me! :)

Oh ok, thanks.

I dont really know much about the topic, but if you follow these rules for writing a newspaper article
    • What is the story about?
    • Who is involved?
    • Where does the story take place?
    • When does it happen?
    • Why did it happen?
    Then you can basically research all the information you would need to write a newspaper article, you could also make up quotes people may have said on the matter, eye witnesses etc. Dunno if this will help or not.

Would the fears about American Repulicanism seeping in, be good to throw in? Maybe a hint at a rally to take place, the one WLM got jailed for, be useful? Mentioning the Crown Reserves? Would the late-loyalists settling there have affected his stand? Naming names of supporters like Charles Duncombe, or Rolph, or Egmond? or The main English gent Bond Head and others he wrote scathing things about : attacks on leading Tories such as William Allan, the Boulton family, and George Gurnett ? Alluding to his Seventh Report on Grievences? There is an interesting geneological website http://www.samuel.lount.org/ to peek at. Or http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/transactio...lion1837.shtml. Or
    http://www.biographi.ca/EN/ShowBio.asp?BioId=38684.

I am suspecting you aren't writing a news article so much as writing an editorial that WLM would have written for his controversial paper?

SweetestDreams
    Last edited by SweetestDreams; 03-27-2007 at 11:00 PM. Reason: addition

• Stitch &lt;3

Quote Originally Posted by SweetestDreams View Post
    Would the fears about American Repulicanism seeping in, be good to throw in? Maybe a hint at a rally to take place, the one WLM got jailed for, be useful? Mentioning the Crown Reserves? Would the late-loyalists settling there have affected his stand? Naming names of supporters like Charles Duncombe, or Rolph, or Egmond? or The main English gent Bond Head and others he wrote scathing things about : attacks on leading Tories such as William Allan, the Boulton family, and George Gurnett ? Alluding to his Seventh Report on Grievences? There is an interesting geneological website http://www.samuel.lount.org/ to peek at. Or http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/transactio...lion1837.shtml. Or
    http://www.biographi.ca/EN/ShowBio.asp?BioId=38684.

I am suspecting you aren't writing a news article so much as writing an editorial that WLM would have written for his controversial paper?

SweetestDreams
    Well the Colonial Advocate was a newspaper by william lyon mackenzie, a reformer he felt the family compact was stealing there money, and so i was writting something that may have appeared in his newspaper. And i highly doubt i can add anything about American Repulicanism. This is all about upper and lower canada that we have been learning about, we learned one thing about america and that was they were no longer apart of britian and british in quebec had to leave to stop the americans which created the quebec act. Any whio, thank you both.

• boo.

haha, I am doing a historical newspaper for the year 1912 right now
    I think the teachers are using the idea of making newspapers as the new poster.

^Thankye Con!! ^

Sounds like newspaper articles are the "in" thing'

And i highly doubt i can add anything about American Repulicanism. Lol, they were astir about all the Americans coming up and settling and undermining or diluting the English Canadian control.
    One article I saw in wikipedia noted this:
    As it had before the War of 1812, the government of Upper Canada continued to fear what it suspected might be a growing interest in American republicanism within the province. Reasons for this must be sought in the patterns of settlement across the province in the last half-century. Although the British had originally hoped that an orderly settlement in Upper Canada would inspire the former American colonies to abandon their democratic form of government, demographic realities intervened. After an initial group of about 7,000 United Empire Loyalists were thinly settled across the province in the mid-1780s, a far larger number of American settlers came after the American Revoultion were attracted by the cheap land grants offered by Lieutenant-Governor John Graves Simcoeto promote land settlement. Although these settlers, known as "late-Loyalists," were required to take an oath of allegiance to the British Crown in order to obtain land, their fundamental political allegiances were always considered dubious. By 1812 this had become acutely problematic since the American settlers outnumbered the original Loyalists by more than ten to one. It was this reality that led American legislators to speculate that bringing Upper Canada into the American fold would be a "mere matter of marching." After the War of 1812 the government took active steps to prevent Americans from taking an oath of allegiance thereby making them ineligible to obtain land grants.

I thought it was kind of interesting. It may not be relevant to what you wish to do though.

By the way, thanks for posting about this as it was fun to read up on something new.

SweetestDreams
    Last edited by SweetestDreams; 03-30-2007 at 10:24 PM. Reason: addition