• white and nerdy

News and Video Games... The Problem

Video Games are in the news more and more it seems. Just the other day I saw a news broadcast about how playing video games actually improves your eyesight, however, this piece of news was secondary to the anchors dislike of games. He actually started the news piece with "We all know that Video games are worthless wastes of time, however..."

I mean COME ON!!!

All they talk about are losers wasting their time, living in moms basement, or other worthless base stuff.

When can we get a neutral news story on gaming or gamers?
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Knight that says Nee!!

Re: News and Video Games... The Problem

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee View Post
    Video Games are in the news more and more it seems. Just the other day I saw a news broadcast about how playing video games actually improves your eyesight, however, this piece of news was secondary to the anchors dislike of games. He actually started the news piece with "We all know that Video games are worthless wastes of time, however..."

I mean COME ON!!!

All they talk about are losers wasting their time, living in moms basement, or other worthless base stuff.

I am probably dating my self so badly here but I played Everquest back when you could only play by sitting in the same room with the other players and you had to really look them in the eye and talk to them and interact and all that. Back then it was called "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons."

But in all seriousness, I started in the Role Playing Game hobby around 1977 and played all through the 80s. Well technically me and some other old farts STILL get together now and again to play, but anyway...my point that I am rambleing towards (it's 430 am) is that the same kinds of stuff was said about my generation and those games, so it doesn't surprise me that avid computer gamers are getting the same stuff now. I have my own views on computer games, and not all my opinions are possative I will admit, but one of them is NOT that all gamers today are shut ins with no life ect.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee View Post

I mean COME ON!!!

I think the G4 panel on Violence in Videogames said it best.

Some people just didn't grow up with videogames and they just won't get it. Every generation looks at what the younger one does with disapproval. It used to be comic books. You just have to wait for that older generation to die off.

(I'm paraphrasing, but that's pretty much what one panelist said)

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian View Post
    I think the G4 panel on Violence in Videogames said it best.

Some people just didn't grow up with videogames and they just won't get it. Every generation looks at what the younger one does with disapproval. It used to be comic books. You just have to wait for that older generation to die off.

(I'm paraphrasing, but that's pretty much what one panelist said)
    Yes, you don't hear people (Now) going.

Oh those losers with their MOVIES.
    or RECORD PLAYERS!!
    and the TV

Of course everyone knows that reading books, or watching movies makes you go insane.

It's just idiots grasping for straws.
    "We have to be right sometime!"

• Knight that says Nee!!

Well, back in my day we had to walk to the Mozart concert in the snow!!! Up hill both ways!! My dad hated Mozart with his fancy modern violin strattas but me and my friends loved it.

• Disneyland is your land.

I think a major problem with the Video Game industry as a whole is that it is still looked upon by those outside of it as a "kids forum." What these people don't realize is that video games have evolved into mainstream entertainment, no different from movies, television, music, internet, etc, and that audiences from every age demographic are buying games these days.

Plus video games do have a huge benefit -- Artificial Intelligence. Game developers and hardware makers are pushing technologies that may have not ever been pushed without video games. Hell, the Military now uses Video Games to train soldiers (and have been using simulators for quite sometime). Sorry I'll stop preaching to the quoir here, but I believe the problem with the media and Video Games is just a perception issue.
    Class of 2005...