Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Pilot EdForceOne

Xbox360 owners buy more games then PS3/Wii Owners

An interesting stat thrown out in one of the usual monthly sales stories...

Meanwhile, the Xbox 360 is taking strong lead in the number of games sold. The Xbox 360 has six titles in the top 10 for February -- including the No. 1 title -- while Wii has three and PS3 none (PS2 title "Guitar Hero" took the final spot). Additionally, Xbox 360 owners buy far more games than the owners of other consoles at a rate of 5.4 games per 360 owner. That rate falls to 2.3 for the PS3 and 2.8 for the Wii.[
    That's an interesting normalizing stat. How does this match up to your experiences?

Personally.. I only have 3 games for my xbox360.. still waiting for something interesting to buy! But now that GuitarHerosII is coming.. that might be the next purchase

Full Story
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070402/...media_wii_dc_1

• white and nerdy

Re: Xbox360 owners buy more games then PS3/Wii Owners

Makes sense seeing how the 360 has been out more than a year and the other two have been about.. what.. less than half a year?

More time = more games = more games to buy.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Circle of Ancients

^ Bingo.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee View Post
    Exactly (and the full article talks about the time frame factor). This isn't shocking news whatsoever. The Ps3 and the Xbox360 don't come with a game either, so the numbers are probably a bit of a misrepresentation too.

Also, when it says "Xbox 360 owners buy far more games than the owners of other consoles at a rate of 5.4 games per 360 owner. That rate falls to 2.3 for the PS3 and 2.8 for the Wii." , does it mention a time period? Because I certainly don't see one. Does that mean, that Xbox owners own, on average, 5.4 games for their Xbox? (i.e. take the number of game units sold and divide by the number of xboxes owned?). Well since the Xbox has been out longer..... DUH that number is going to be higher.

Personally, I have purchased 4 games for my Wii since I got it in February (not including Wii Sports), and 8 used games for the Gamecube for my Wii (since I never had a gamecube).
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Circle of Ancients

Yeah, we have 8 games for our Wii (including wii sports) so we are definately above the average, but I'm sure alot of people just have Wii Sports and Zelda and that's it.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Yes, but time isn't the only factor. It's gotta have stuff people are willing to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog View Post
    Does that mean, that Xbox owners own, on average, 5.4 games for their Xbox? (i.e. take the number of game units sold and divide by the number of xboxes owned?). Well since the Xbox has been out longer..... DUH that number is going to be higher.
    While the time in market factor is significant.. I don't think its as 'dominating' as most of you make. If you look at the xbox's sales.. you see their monthly average is quite steady (approx 230k units/month). It's not like they put out 2 million units in the first 3 months and have been riding that since.

In looking for numbers on this discussion, I found another interesting article. It plots monthly sales for all the systems. Check it out here

http://videogamecharts.com/page3.html
    http://forum.pcvsconsole.com/viewthread.php?tid=11067

found the link from here
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060611-7030.html

I think the PS2 sales show that price point is still a huge factor. They know there are titles out there to play now.. and the steep discount makes it so affordable and attractive.

• Disneyland is your land.

I own like eight 360 titles and my friend owns many more.

Bottom line is that if Microsoft can continue this trend, many publishers and developers can look at the data and it could convince them to bring more games (especially PS3 exclusives) to the 360.
    Class of 2005...

Makes sense seeing how the 360 has been out more than a year and the other two have been about.. what.. less than half a year?

Well ya - and also the price of the 360 games are no longer JUST 59.99. Some games are going down in price and some now just start off lower.

My experience from selling all 3 of thee units most people buy 1 or 2 games when getting the PS3 or 360, and most people buy 1 game when buying the Wii since it comes with a "game" and many of the people buying the Wii are not your typical "gamers".

• Senior Minion

I'm reading this and wondering ... adults buy the systems ... but adults also control what games are purchsed as well.

My point being (and I'm assuming here) that the 360 has more adult oriented games - therefore more adults purchasing the system and games. Whereas I see PS3 and Wii with more focus on kids/teenagers who don't have a lot/any money to spend - and who at times might have to justify to their parents why they should spend $50 on a game.

We have a Wii and a 360 at my apartment, but there are just a lot more games to play for the 360 right now.. and the Wii might have people catching up on Gamecube games and downloadable games

Disney: true inspiration!

I would also think the lack of backwards compatible games on the 360 is another factor in play here.

When you buy a PS3 you can still play your PS2 games and The Wii plays the Gamecube games AND you can download older games. The 360 you have to get lucky your xbox game is on the list - and then you still have to download the patch for it, and that does you no good if you do not have the internet that still many peopel either chose not to have or simply can not get.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by prince_david View Post
    We have a Wii and a 360 at my apartment, but there are just a lot more games to play for the 360 right now.. and the Wii might have people catching up on Gamecube games and downloadable games
    Ohhhhh yeah that's the other factor I totally forgot -- the download factor. I wonder if that (or backwards compatibility titles) counted towards the total number of games purchased.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Yeah, we have 8 games for our Wii (including wii sports) so we are definately above the average, but I'm sure alot of people just have Wii Sports and Zelda and that's it.
    Same here, I have Wii Sports, Wii Play, Rayman, Elebits, Zelda, & Wario Ware. I'll get Tiger Woods when I have the extra cash and a few others. I'd have to ask my b/f how many games he has for his 360. He's had it since Dec. '05 and I've only had my Wii for almost 2 mths.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDude View Post
    and then you still have to download the patch for it, and that does you no good if you do not have the internet that still many peopel either chose not to have or simply can not get.
    Buying these next gen consoles and not adding internet is almost not an option anymore. Yes, while not everyone will, it will become more and more the exception to NOT have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog View Post
    Ohhhhh yeah that's the other factor I totally forgot -- the download factor. I wonder if that (or backwards compatibility titles) counted towards the total number of games purchased.
    I think that totally is a factor for the wii.. more so that the "cheap" (I use that loosely) VC games diffuse the need to take the risk and spend money on the full priced games. Low entry cost = low risk.. and while people may end up spending more and get less overall.. the VC games are a known and low entry cost.. which makes them attractive to most people.

I'd be REAL curious to see how nintendo handles 3rd party publishers and their access to put content up there... because eventually this will become a friction point of competition between nintendo and their publishers. (as it can be for other vendors too)

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Buying these next gen consoles and not adding internet is almost not an option anymore. Yes, while not everyone will, it will become more and more the exception to NOT have it.
    Not as much as you would think. I deal with LOTS of people who simply do not have the option for high-speed where they live. And many just do not want high-speed internet for various reasons such as not going online that often. So it is not a must-have option even for next-gen systems, not everybody is a hard-core gamer or somebody that wants to take advantage of online play.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast