Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1

    • Rides against injustice
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sun Valley,CA
    Posts
    1,087

    PSP drops in price

    http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3158440

    This will probably help boost sales since the difference pricewise between a PSP and DS isnt as large. I wonder if Nintendo will follow suit and drop the price of the DS?

    Here's a link from the orginal story yesterday
    http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3158431

    I found this line interesting:
    Last month, we reported that major retailers were considering pulling the system from store shelves if there wasn't a price drop
    Why would they pull it? Its not like its bombing.
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

  2. #2

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    22,687

    Re: PSP drops in price

    What's the new price? I can't access the article from work.

    As for why they would drop it, not enough room with all the cool DS stuff.


  3. #3

    • Rides against injustice
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sun Valley,CA
    Posts
    1,087

    Re: PSP drops in price

    Oops, probably shouldve put that in the topic line!! New MSRP of $169.99
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

  4. #4

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Just around the riverbend
    Posts
    8,057

    Re: PSP drops in price

    Quote Originally Posted by Zorro825 View Post
    Oops, probably shouldve put that in the topic line!! New MSRP of $169.99
    Still not low enough for me to go buy it ... I'll stick with my DS!


  5. #5

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    823

    Re: PSP drops in price

    Quote Originally Posted by Zorro825 View Post
    Why would they pull it? Its not like its bombing.
    1up.com often says things that make me laugh, this would be one of them.

    I do think the $30 drop is a good move that will make sales of the PSP spike - now if they had a wider range of games that would be even better.

  6. #6

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lakewood, CA
    Posts
    4,539

    Re: PSP drops in price

    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDude View Post
    I do think the $30 drop is a good move that will make sales of the PSP spike - now if they had a wider range of games that would be even better.
    A lot of people say this, but it really doesn't make any sense. The PSP has a much broader range of genres than the DS, and there are more higher rated PSP games than DS games despite launching later and the DS getting multiple new titles a month.

    If you're going for quantity over quality, than the DS wins, but most of the games hover in 5.0 range of scores.

  7. #7

    • Huh?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    6,808

    Re: PSP drops in price

    So, does this affect all packs? Including that one with the game and movie released not too long ago?
    -Tim

  8. #8

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lakewood, CA
    Posts
    4,539

    Re: PSP drops in price

    Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum View Post
    So, does this affect all packs? Including that one with the game and movie released not too long ago?
    That pack was exclusive to the first Million sold. Their's the value pack or the PSP. No more unless you live in another country.

  9. #9

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    823

    Re: PSP drops in price

    Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum View Post
    So, does this affect all packs? Including that one with the game and movie released not too long ago?
    That pack was for the holiday only - so what is left in the stores now is it. I talked to the Sony rep yesterday when he came in where I work and he confirmed this. It was the same thing last year - holiday pack only. Soulquarian is thinking about a different pack that came out when the PSP first came out (32mb card, earphones, case, etc). But to answer your question if the proce drop was on that entertainment pack - our system (Best Buy) has it for $219 now, but we have been sold out of it for a few weeks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    A lot of people say this, but it really doesn't make any sense. The PSP has a much broader range of genres than the DS, and there are more higher rated PSP games than DS games despite launching later and the DS getting multiple new titles a month.

    If you're going for quantity over quality, than the DS wins, but most of the games hover in 5.0 range of scores.
    The PSP does not have a wide range of game genres - almost all of the games out are for males in thier mid teens thru mid 20s. There is not much for young kids or girls and older players. My sony rep even admits the lack of choices for these groups. Go to your local store and look at the PSP games - most are racing games, war games or sports games.

    And I never commented on the rating or quality of games - because each person will like different things. A 5 star rating means nothing to many people. So there is really no need to go there. And I also never compared it to the selection of games on the DS.

  10. #10

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lakewood, CA
    Posts
    4,539

    Re: PSP drops in price

    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDude View Post
    The PSP does not have a wide range of game genres - almost all of the games out are for males in thier mid teens thru mid 20s. There is not much for young kids or girls and older players. My sony rep even admits the lack of choices for these groups. Go to your local store and look at the PSP games - most are racing games, war games or sports games.
    Genre for genre, there are more PSP games rated 8.0 or higher. There are certainly lots of action/racing types of games on the system, but that doesn't discredit the fact that there are still lots of great games that aren't in thoe genres.

    And I never commented on the rating or quality of games - because each person will like different things. A 5 star rating means nothing to many people. So there is really no need to go there. And I also never compared it to the selection of games on the DS.
    That's true, but seeing as most people have not played the hundreds of games available on each system, they're great indicators of what a game may be like.

    I always wonder how people can say the PSP doesn't have good games when they haven't played a fraction of the ones that are available. They must be going by reviews right?

    Nope. Per IGN Reviews, the PSP has 63 games rated 8.0 or higher.

    The DS has has 53 games...

  11. #11

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    823

    Re: PSP drops in price

    Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian View Post
    Genre for genre, there are more PSP games rated 8.0 or higher. There are certainly lots of action/racing types of games on the system, but that doesn't discredit the fact that there are still lots of great games that aren't in thoe genres.



    That's true, but seeing as most people have not played the hundreds of games available on each system, they're great indicators of what a game may be like.

    I always wonder how people can say the PSP doesn't have good games when they haven't played a fraction of the ones that are available. They must be going by reviews right?

    Nope. Per IGN Reviews, the PSP has 63 games rated 8.0 or higher.

    The DS has has 53 games...

    Please note you are the *only* one in this thread who is talking about who has better games. Why do you keep going back to a point nobody else but yourself is talking about? What is your point with this? Nobody in this thread ever said anything about the PSP games not having high ratings - nobody.

    The only thing I said was about selection - and that the PSP does not have a wide selection of games covering as many genres - meaning MOST of the games are aimed for males in thier mid-teens thru mid-20s. And heck, I did not even compare it to any other system as you acted like I did. The selection is a fact you did not dispute and this is a fact backed up by a Sony rep that visits most of the retail stores in the East county of San Diego.

  12. #12

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lakewood, CA
    Posts
    4,539

    Re: PSP drops in price

    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDude View Post
    Please note you are the *only* one in this thread who is talking about who has better games. Why do you keep going back to a point nobody else but yourself is talking about? What is your point with this? Nobody in this thread ever said anything about the PSP games not having high ratings - nobody.
    Because people by consoles for the games?

    The only thing I said was about selection - and that the PSP does not have a wide selection of games covering as many genres - meaning MOST of the games are aimed for males in thier mid-teens thru mid-20s. And heck, I did not even compare it to any other system as you acted like I did. The selection is a fact you did not dispute and this is a fact backed up by a Sony rep that visits most of the retail stores in the East county of San Diego.
    Dude... take a look at the lineup... The PSP has more genres than the DS, and does many of them better.

  13. #13

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    823

    Re: PSP drops in price

    Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian View Post
    Dude... take a look at the lineup... The PSP has more genres than the DS, and does many of them better.
    Dude - there you go again. I never compared it to the DS. Lets try this for once... lets have you reply to what I am talking about.

    It is a cold hard fact the PSP is aimed for males in thier mid-teens thru mid 20s. The PSP has very few games aimed for people outside of that group. This is not something Sony denies either.

    Are you going to say Sony itself is incorrect now?

  14. #14

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lakewood, CA
    Posts
    4,539

    Re: PSP drops in price

    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDude View Post
    Dude - there you go again. I never compared it to the DS. Lets try this for once... lets have you reply to what I am talking about.

    It is a cold hard fact the PSP is aimed for males in thier mid-teens thru mid 20s. The PSP has very few games aimed for people outside of that group. This is not something Sony denies either.

    Are you going to say Sony itself is incorrect now?
    Your Sony rep from San Diego must be... look at the lineup.

    I'll even help you out.

    Games not "aimed" at the young male demographic:
    1) LocoRoco
    2) Lumines I
    3) Lumines II
    4) Lemmings
    5) Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords
    6) Carol Vorderman's Sodoku
    7) Crash Bandicoot
    8) Ape Escape: On The Loose
    9) Daxter
    10) Super Monkey Ball Adventure
    11) Scooby Doo: Who's Watching You
    12) Open Season
    13) Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
    14) Neopets: Petpet adventures - The Wand of Wishing
    15) Namco Musuem Battle Collection
    16) Midway Arcade Classics
    17) Sega Genesis Collection
    18) Activision Hits
    19) Mind Quiz
    20) Gitaroo Man Lives
    21) Ape Escape Academy
    22) Pinball Hall of Fame
    23) Puzzle Challenge: Crosswords and More!
    24) Capcom Puzzle World
    25) Sonic Rivals
    26) Gripsift
    27) Cars
    28) Every Extend Extra
    29) Platypus
    30) Thrillville
    31) The Sims
    32) The Sims 2
    33) Hot Shots Golf 2
    34) Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee
    35) Worms: Open Warfare
    36) Virtual Tennis 3
    37) WTF: Work Time Fun
    38) Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure
    39) Chicken Little
    40) Ultimate Board Game Collection
    41) 7 Wonders
    42) EA Replay
    43) Mercury Meltdown
    44) Mercury Meltdown Remix
    45) Exit
    46) Bubble Bobble Evolution
    47) Bust a Move Deluxe
    48) Puzzle Scape
    49) Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters
    50) Legend of Heroes III: Song of the Ocean

Similar Threads

  1. More PS3 Price flopping around - Sony annouces price drops for Japan and new model
    By flynnibus in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-18-2007, 05:23 AM
  2. Paramount drops Blu-ray
    By Barbossa in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-27-2007, 02:53 PM
  3. 360 HD-DVD Add on Price drops
    By Soulquarian in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-23-2007, 11:31 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •