Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: I am done with RCT3!!!

I hear ya DW. I had some troubles with RCT3 as well. However, since switching to my new computer (Dual Core, 2GB RAM, 256 Video Card, Vista) things have been great. I still love RCT3 and play it almost every day. Fishbulb almost lives in RCT3. I do agree that RCT2 was less system intensive and had a larger set of expansion items, but I'm still a RCT3 boy. If Chris Sawyer and Atari could just work out their differences and get another pack or two out for this title. I'd be even happier.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Skyway 73

I'm not sure if you guys knew this but Roller Coaster Tycoon three was not developed by the original game designer. Chris Saywer is his name I beleive. From what I understand, he was concentrating more on his railroad tycoon series and other projects. I think 3 would of been alot better if had worked on this one.

• Still lost in Neverland

Then how come he is the one suing Atari for non payment of Royalties on RCT3, his game? His name is also all over the box. He might have left a lot of it up to Frontier to program, but it's still his baby. Frontier is the one that screwed up with cheap graphics handlers on orders from Atari to get the game out in time for the Holidays. I hope he takes the idea and goes to someone else and we get something even better, and running better someday.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• DL Fanatic

Sequoia National Park, CA (trying to get to Orange County)

I like RCT 3. I would be happier if I knew how to make the rides I want to w/o the "stuttering" that goes through on the rides though.
    Best interview answer: My biggest weakness is my honesty...I can never remember my lies!

• Minion

As far as my understanding, Chris Sawyer had very little to do with RCT3.

I have to say, I love RCT2 so much better. RCT3 just seems so much harder for me. Some of the graphics (like the reflections in the water) are pretty incredible and I love how they added nighttime but there's just so much about the game that I don't like. It's not very user friendly to me. For instance, building paths always seems like such a nightmare. I believe if I had never played RCT at all before playing the third one, the game would make a lot more sense to me, but after playing RCT2 for hours and hours and hours, RCT3 and it's control panels are just way too confusing for me.

RCT2 is by far the best.

There are two factors to consider. One is your computer and the other is scenery and extra stuff you put in the game. I don't know what your RAM size is, or if you have Pentium 3 or 4 and what MGZ they run at. Also a very good Graphics card is needed, and plenty of hard disc space. I also depends on whether you are building a Park to actually play in and manage or share with others, or whether you are just building a Park or Ride to video and then share the video with others.

While building the Park you may want to check the options section and use the Custom setting to turn of shadows, reduce the detail levels down to barely above minimum, turn of water reflections and turn off trees outside fence. This will not be as pretty to look at but the Park will run smoother. When you are done, you can make the videos and turn on the shadows, water reflection and set the detail levels up again. Leave the trees outside the fence off though. Depending on how much detail you have, how many trees, benches, shrubs and building walls will depend on how jerky the game runs. A medium sized Park with 3 or 4 coasters should run fine with nice landscaping and other things that are necessary to make the Park look nice and the operations run smoothly. The larger the Park, and the more rides and scenery, the more powerful your computer has to be, and even that doesn't guarantee anything.

If you start adding Custom Scenery which can be downloaded from various RCT3 fan sites or the Atari Forums, that can slow the game down even more, and certain items, if shadows are turned on will cause the game to crash. Save the game with a new name every so often so in case the latest one crossed some boundary you can go back and load in the previous version and try something different.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I am of the personal belief that RCT3 just entirely skipped on the genius of RCT. Here was this game, with such a simple look and style that because this hit at a time when graphics rule the day.

I find the control panel on RCT3 to be so much easier to use than any previous version of RCT. And the fact that you can change the camera view rules so that the camera will stay where ever you point it when you release the mouse to be a big added bonus when building a complicated building or ride. That and the ease of putting of roofs by using the CTL button after placing the first roof pane really solves a lot of problems with roofing going all over the place. As much as RCT3 can be frustrating, it is so much better in the final product that it far outdoes the previous versions. And you can ride the ride and even make a video of it. And using the "Attraction Sequencer Camera" you can make wonderful videos by flying over and through the Park.

From what I understand as well, this is a Chris Sawyer game no matter what you heard. He designed the game, and let Frontier do most of the programming. If you look on the credits page near the end of the instruction book he is listed under the Frontier group along with David Braben as Executive Producers and under the copyright information on page 111 it says RollerCoasterTycoonIII c 2004 Chris Sawyer; Programming c 2004 Frontier Developments Ltd. It's his baby as is all the RCT Games. That's why he is the one suing Atari, not Frontier. Frontier is at fault for the cheap graphics program they installed in order to meet Atari's demand to have the game in stores by Christmas. SInce Atari is the one calling the shots, once the law suit from Chris was filed, they stopped all support of the game. That leaves Frontier holding the bag. They would love to update the mistakes, but without the financial backing from Atari, they can't. The do have there own RCT3 support forum up now and it's pretty good. The Atari Forum are still up and the Custom Scenery and technical forums are still going as strong as they can, but I think it's run by fans now instead of Atari itself. They just don't care anymore.

Thank You Poisonedapples

I stopped playing it long ago

I think RCT2 is the most fun to play, since it's got a nice balance of simplicity, ease of interface, and the ability to make HUGE parks and fill/run them smoothly.

RCT3 has a few small things that really, really bother me. I love the game, but the interface and operation of rides just drives me crazy half the time.
    • The track building interface is awful in regards to matching terrain. You can't see highlighted ground where track is going over like in the 2D games, and you can't change terrain without completely exiting the ride construction window, then returning and hoping you adjusted enough. Sucks on custom terrain coasters.
    • The stupid turnstile/ticket system for rides screws capacity. No matter how well your ride is designed for blocks, multiple trains, load/unload stations, or any factor, you're limited to just over 1000/hr. That's a really high figure too, whereas in RCT2 if you designed things well you could have an amazing first-class ride that people flocked to like crazy, and gave 4000+ rides an hour.
    • Water rides kept from the first series just don't translate. The stupid river boat ride is worthless, since it suddenly moves super fast unlike RCT2, and can't have boats backed up out of the station. It's not at all like the rides in the real world that people would want to duplicate, and doesn't work well with capacity or theming.
    I love the graphics of RCT3, and the different peeps, and the pools and animals, but those basic interface and game design issues bother me soooooo much sometimes. RCT2 converted straight to 3D would've been much better IMO.

when the car reaches a certain point during test mode, it crashes. I always get some stupid RCT3 EXE error message.
    Make sure you're updated, there was some huge error with the extended coaster when Wild came out, and it required a patch to fix major slowdowns and crashes whenever using that coaster.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I don't need the updates anymore since I am burning my last RCT3 DVD's right now. After that, I'm going to finish work on my RCT2 parks . Frontier needs to school, review the first two RCT's, and understand what a good game really is .

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
    I think RCT2 is the most fun to play, since it's got a nice balance of simplicity, ease of interface, and the ability to make HUGE parks and fill/run them smoothly.

RCT3 has a few small things that really, really bother me. I love the game, but the interface and operation of rides just drives me crazy half the time.
    • The track building interface is awful in regards to matching terrain. You can't see highlighted ground where track is going over like in the 2D games, and you can't change terrain without completely exiting the ride construction window, then returning and hoping you adjusted enough. Sucks on custom terrain coasters.
    • The stupid turnstile/ticket system for rides screws capacity. No matter how well your ride is designed for blocks, multiple trains, load/unload stations, or any factor, you're limited to just over 1000/hr. That's a really high figure too, whereas in RCT2 if you designed things well you could have an amazing first-class ride that people flocked to like crazy, and gave 4000+ rides an hour.
    • Water rides kept from the first series just don't translate. The stupid river boat ride is worthless, since it suddenly moves super fast unlike RCT2, and can't have boats backed up out of the station. It's not at all like the rides in the real world that people would want to duplicate, and doesn't work well with capacity or theming.
    I love the graphics of RCT3, and the different peeps, and the pools and animals, but those basic interface and game design issues bother me soooooo much sometimes. RCT2 converted straight to 3D would've been much better IMO.

Make sure you're updated, there was some huge error with the extended coaster when Wild came out, and it required a patch to fix major slowdowns and crashes whenever using that coaster.
    I totally agree with you. I always found the paths extremely difficult to create as well, especially on hilly terrain. To me, the game seems more like an expansion to Sim Theme Park and not Roller Coaster Tycoon.

• Really!?

I hated Sim Theme Park.... and RCT3 reminded me too much of that game

I have RCT3 but i haven't played it in over a year
    i still play RCT2, that game is just perfect.

i love most of the new features of the new game, but like everyone has said.... it's just not very user friendly.

My IDEAL RCT game would be the RCT2 interface & graphics (maybe with a few adjustments) including the pre-positioned 4 corner camera angles
    Night & Day transitions, Fireworks, and the ability to walk around your park from a guests perspective
    thats all i want, keep everything else
    This chamber has no windows and no doors!!!! ....better take the stairs.

I hear ya DW. I had some troubles with RCT3 as well. However, since switching to my new computer (Dual Core, 2GB RAM, 256 Video Card, Vista) things have been great.
    Sorry if this is a stupid stupid question. But I never got to play RCT2 as our pc could not cope, we now have a new pc with Vista and I went to buy RCT3 and the guy in the shop told me it wouldn't work with Vista. Is he wrong (I hope so)

Sandie

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

Well, this is going to be risky, but I have Vista on my laptop and I run RCT3 on it just fine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast