• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Should I sell the Gamecube now that I have Wii?

My boys finally saved up enough money to buy Wii and were lucky enough to find a store that had one! They bought an extra controller and numchuck(sp?) and bought the game Zelda. My question is: Should we now sell back the Gamecube? We have four controllers for it and a bunch of games. That system is set up on a small TV in our family room while the Wii is set up on our big TV in the living room. The only reason I would keep it is so both boys could play different games on different systems at the same time. And if I did sell the system, should I keep two controllers or just bite the bullet and get Wii controllers?

What do you think? Thanks for answering.

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Should I sell the Gamecube now that I have Wii?

Unless you have the wireless controllers for the GameCube, I say no.

The one drawback for the Wii is that the GameCube controller hookups are in a REALLY bad place. We actually don't use the Wii to play our GameCube games. We still have our GameCube hooked up.

Were thinking of eventually getting the wireless controllers.

Plus, you really won't get more than $50 for the GameCube anyway.

• Rides against injustice

I agree Clinks about the GC controller ports on the Wii. When I play my VC downloaded games, I use the Gamecube controller and using the Wavebird is really the only way to go.
    The Gamecube doesnt really have a high resale value anymore. I would just hang on to it unless you find someone who REALLY wants one.
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

• Earth Intruder

You certainly want to hang onto the gamecube games and controllers since the Wii is backwards compatible. But then, who'd want to buy a GC without the games and controllers??

I like the idea of hanging onto the GC and putting it on another TV, then your kids can play different games if they want to.

Unless of course, they're done with the GC games and are never going to play them again... then sell the whole thing (minus one controller -- some of the VC games work on the GC controller I think)
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Minion

I find it hard to part with old systems. Hence the reason why I have kept them all...

What are you looking to gain from selling the GC? You won't get much money.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Donate it to a charity.. make some kids happy.. and have a write-off for next year that you would probably be able to recoup more in tax savings then you could selling it.

Put it to good use.. let some kids who don't have this stuff a chance to have fun

• no flash photography...

off topic, but I read the title as "should I tell the game cube now, that we have a wii"...and I was ...then I re-read it...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Donate it to a charity.. make some kids happy.. and have a write-off for next year that you would probably be able to recoup more in tax savings then you could selling it.

Put it to good use.. let some kids who don't have this stuff a chance to have fun
    Great idea Flynnibus!

There's a videogame charity that participates with this.

www.childsplaycharity.org

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Thanks everyone for your advice. I think I will hold on to the Gamecube. I could only get $25 for it (I thought it might bring more) and this way both kids could play different games at the same time if they wanted to. I was just trying to clean up the house, but it looks like the all the systems stay for now.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    off topic, but I read the title as "should I tell the game cube now, that we have a wii"...and I was ...then I re-read it...
    LMAO, yes, the Gamecube may kill the Wii in a crime of passion. So I wouldn't say anything, but the Gamecube might start to catch on when it sees all those little controllers running around the house. Poor *******.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I love my Game Cube. Even if I did purchase the new Nintendo system, I would still keep the Game Cube, so I can replay many of my Pokemon games. Also I have the Game Boy Player attached to my Game Boy. It allows me to play many Game Boy Advance Games. I sometimes still play the old Animal Crossing.

May 11 - 16, 2015

• Minion

It is always good to keep the old system. We recently had to pay $50 buy an original Nintendo system as my daughter loves to play the original Super Mario game that she discovered on an arcade game at the lake campground we visit yearly. My husband had the system,but lost track of the cables, and we could not find them for sale anywhere.

• ...TWO BITS!

I say keep it. When they're in college, they may want to play it again. That's what's happening now. The guys who still have PS1 and Super Nintendo are playing them again in the dorms. Classic old school.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• So Far E!

We kept ours and gave it to the boys in their room... It's nice because when one wants to play a game and the other has already started playing the Wii they don't fight. However, if it wasn't for that I would say the charity thing is a GREAT idea. But... if you are giving it away I would atleast give one game with it because if the kids getting it can't afford a system, chances are they can't afford games for it either.