• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

Firework Show Recording

Hey guys. I'm new to RCT3, but not the series. I picked up RCT3 Gold with some graduation money (would have gotten platinum if Best Buy had it at the time, or at least would have thought about it), and I finally got around to making a fireworks show. I was wondering what the best way to record the show to share would be. It's set to Drink Up Me Hearties from AWE's soundtrack, but I wasn't sure what the best way to go about sharing it would be. I know you can save the show itself and share it, but I don't know if that's better than recording in terms of feedback.

Thanks for any and all help.

• Still lost in Neverland

Re: Firework Show Recording

You can set up the camera view where you want it for the best view of the show, or use the built in cam view for fireworks. When you have tested it and made any adjustments, start the show and then press CT:+SHIFT+F11 and the recording will start. You have to press CTL+SHIFT+F11 at the end to stop the recording process. Be aware that no sound will record, just the video. And it will take hours to record. Then you have to use Movie Maker to edit the video, add the soundtrack, sync it all up and save it as a video. Then you can upload it to google video or You Tube. Then you can import either of those videos right into this thread when you are all done.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Out of curiosity, where does it save to and as what, so I know what to look for?

Thanks a million. It will be uploaded sometime this weekend, I promise.

mydocuments/my videos/rct3

It will save each video you make as movie 0001 and then each movie after that will increase by one number. You should rename them as you make them to be more descriptive of what movie it actually is. Each new movie you make will continue with the number after whatever number is smaller unless you rename them all, then it will start over with the numbering.

Same thing if you push F10 to take still pictures of your park. (Note if you have a group of peeps you created and you have made one the leader, that leader peep has a camera and will take pictures of the group automatically in front of any photo spot stand you place in the Park. You can also force the lead peep to take a picture anywhere by pressing a certain key combination but I forget what it is. Also if you have a coaster with a photo spot on the ride, each of the peeps you created will have their picture taken if they ride that coaster). All still pictures are saved in

mydocuments/mypictures/rct3

A hint for better pictures of your park. Rename a peep David Walsh and then press CTL+U and all the icons and menus disappear leaving you an uncluttered picture of the park. When you are done, press CTL+U again and the icons and menus come back. Great for using coaster cam to make movies from on the ride and you are working in Scenario Editor. You have to move fast. Click on the ride you want to ride. Open the main menu by clicking on the hat icon. The last icon on the left is the coaster cam icon. The ride must be open or in test mode. Click on the coater cam icon. Then press CTL+U and the set of menus that stays there in scenario editor will disappear. When the bars come down press the recording key combination of CTL+SHIFT+F11 and the recording on the ride will start. Again, it's going to take awhile to make the video, and again no sound. When the coaster or ride pulls back in to the station and comes to a stop, press the CTL+SHIFT+F11 again and the recording will stop. Then press CTL+U again to bring back the menues and the pop up menu that appears in the lower right corner every time you move the mouse while coaster cam is on (and that's why you have the CTL+U thing to get rid of that) but you need it to exit coaster cam by clicking on the white circle with the X in it. Another hint is that while on the ride, and make sure the icons and menus are hidden, if you press down both mouse buttons and hold them down, you can move the camera view up, down, left and right. During recording the movements are very slow as you are only seeing one frame at a time, so move slow and leave the final position on the screen for at least 5 minutes in real time, or else when you play back the video the change of view will go by so fast you won't see it. This might take some testing and practice before using it for a final video. Another hint is use the tools icon and then click on the Key button to change the key presses to make things happen. I changed the start and stop movie from CTL+SHIFT+F11 to just F11 and it makes it much easier that trying to press 3 keys at the same time when you are in a rush to catch something on video.

If you need info on the hidden Flying Camera to make flyovers of your Park, let me know. One of the threads here has a post by me of my Neverland Park. In that post is a video of the flyover of the Neverland Park. If you watch that one it will show you what a final flyover video looks like after using movie maker and Nero to make the final move with sound. The video is low res because of Google Video reducing the bit rate, but if you see the video on the DVD's I have made of my Parks and rides, they are in hi res and you can see what amazing videos the game is capable of making if you have the time and patience to make them. It's a lot of work, but the end result is worth it.

If you want to PM me about things do it. I will be more than happy to help in any way I can. The DVD's I have are 2 in number and they are free for the asking.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Thank you so very much. I made the video and am uploading it to Youtube right now. I went with the freelook camera because the auto camera wasn't capturing enough of the sky action for my tastes. However, depending on feedback, I might rerecord it with the autocam and then cut it with the second view point.

Thank you so much for all of your help.

That was the one thing I didn't like about the auto camera either. With the freelook camera view you can move it wherever you want. Be sure to post the link or post the actual you tube video right here in the thread so we can see it.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Okay. Some of the action is still cut off, but...it's the best I have for now. If nothing else, consider it as a first draft of a first attempt at a fireworks show.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rV_e7-Bn27s"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rV_e7-Bn27s" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Well, thank you very much. I have never been able to get the hang of the mixmaster in making a firworks show and timing it to music. That's a very good video. There is nothing wrong with a few of the tips going out of frame. Makes it look more real. I think you did a great job and it looks neat. Now for another hint for your next try.

Watch your video again and watch the night sky in the background. See those sharp jumps where the time jumps about 4 to 6 hours ahead? Go to the Tools Icon on the left side. Click on the graphics again. Click on the LOD box and this opens up a bunch of other settings. The first are slide bars that allow you to set the detail level of different things like peeps, paths, texture, and so on. Those should be set to almost the far right side, not quite maximum but close to it. The other set of slides next to each subject will make the detail more apparent even at great distances from the subject, so those should also be set to near maxium (the slide bar all the way, almost, to the right). Then find the drop down menu labeled Day to Night Transistion and change the setting in the drop down menu to blended. This will make that sharp jump disappear and the transition will be nice and smooth. These small changes will make the video look so much sharper and that blended transition is really great.

You are off to a great start and I am impressed with what you have done for a first fireworks show. I think you have the knack for this and just need to learn more about the way the game operates and all the things you can do to teak things just a bit. But really, you did good.

You made me blush at the end.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Thanks for all the comments and help. I noticed the thing about the night sky and it was bugging me. Glad to hear that there is a way to fix this. I'm also open to any and all suggestions you may have to offer on how to run the game to its fullest potential possible for me.

I'm still learning the tips and tricks with the Mixmaster application. Although I hate to admit this openly, I was about halfway through the show before I learned that you could go up and get additional rows in Mixmaster (By the way, if anyone knows, how many rows can you have in the application or does it depend on the number of bases?). On top of that slight hiccup, I still have to get better with the jet editor, and have a LOT to learn with the laser editor. And then, of course, there's the Advanced Fireworks Editor, but I'll wait to play around with that.

I'm skipping the scenario play for the time being and have started to work on my first RCT3 park, Creaky Grove Adventure Park. It's based off an old RCT2 park that I made, but I've long since deleted that file, so I'm starting over from scratch. All I have right now is the monorail to and from the hotel (hotel and hotel monorail station have not been constructed, but the one that goes to the park has), the ticket booths, and the beginning of the entrance building. I'll be making a thread for it in a day or two, if anyone's interested.

Thanks once again, Lost Boy.

One thing to keep in mind about RCT3 is that it can be twitchy at times. I would recommend on this new Park you are building that you save it a lot, adding a number after each save. Then if you go back and try to load the latest version in and it fails, you can always go back one and start from there.

If you are building this new Park using the sandbox mode (or whatever they call it) you should stop and start again using the Scenario Editor. It's more like the sandboxes from RCT and RCT2 than the actual sandbox included in RCT3. Using the Scenario Editor just means that everything is available the minute you open the blank land. You can also make unlimited money, free rides and then just concentrate on building your park. You can change the weather, the background, the day and night changes and lots of other thiings. There is a menu of options that appears down the right side of the screen that you can use to first set things up. That's why you need to rename a guest to David Walsh and use the CTL+U to make that set of icons go away for good clean pictures of the Park and also on Coaster Cam. If you start fooling around with the flying camera all this stuff goes away when you actually press the record button, and you have to stop the recording by using the key combo that you have for start/stop recording. And save the game in the scenario menu before you start recording because the scenario menu does not reappear after the recording has stopped and the flying camera control panel is closed. Only the original icons and menu bar across the top reappear. (Also save the flight path in the control panel for the flying camera before you start filming. It saves only the flight path in a separate place and if something goes wrong and you have to shut down and start over you can always bring the flight path back in.)

When you are finished building the park, adding the rides and stores, etc. you just save it and then work on making the video. If you want you can offer the scenario as an upload, but I just make videos, add the sound and stuff and then use Nero to burn the project to a DVD and make that available to people sort of like a promo video for a new Park. I don't like playing the scenarios either. I just want to build my own Park and have fun.

Make sure you have added all the Patches that are in the Thread at the very top of this thread. Monorail Man is an expert on RCT3 as he was one of the Beta Testers on the game before it came out.

Do you have the Expansion Pacs, Soaked and Wild? If not, there are patches that you can add to the basic game that will give you some of the things that these pacs have. Like more types of ducks and a Pelican and some neat underwater creatures like sharks, sting rays and fish. Also with the patches installed you can tunnel rides through high mountains and underground. The patches also make the game run smoother as a lot of the bugs from the original release are corrected.

There is also tons of Custom Scenery available on the Atari Forums for RCT3 which is mostly run by fans now as Atari no longer supports the game. But, and this is a big but, you have to be very careful installing and using Custom Scenery. Your system may run out of RAM space if you use to much and then the game will not open again. So keep the use of CS down to something realistic. My Harry Potter Theme Park is a huge Park, with the land set to the maximum size, and a lot of normal scenary and very little Custom Scenery, and though it takes forever to open, and runs very jerky in the game mode, the videos come out perfect and it looks amazing. The DVD on this one Park runs over an hour but I wanted to show everything I could jam into one DVD. I have a post on this RCT3 Thread that tell you whats on it and how to get one.

Hope this makes sense too you. And have fun building the new Park.
    Last edited by Lost Boy; 05-26-2007 at 11:08 AM.

Thank You Poisonedapples

I have Soaked, but not Wild. I installed the patch for RCT3 Gold Retail to Update 1.

Thanks for all of the advice. I'll keep the things in mind. Especially the saving often. About the graphical tweaks, thank you so much. You were a lifesaver. There were things that were annoying me to no end in my game and I didn't know how to fix them (such as flowers turning 2D or track supports disappearing as I zoom out...now it's fixed.)

As for the scenario thing, I did make it in a custom scenario, except for thinking back on it, I probably shouldn't have saved the scenario and started playing and building the park like that....sigh.

As for custom scenery, although there is some really good stuff floating around, I think I'm shying away from it for the time being. The laptop that I'm playing the game on (the only thing I have to run the game on) needs to last me for college, so I don't want to go too overboard on the scenery.

I'm going to rewatch the fireworks display and see whether or not the tweaks made a difference. If they did, I'll re-upload the video, possibly with multiple views.

Thanks once again for all the help. I'll be in this forum throughout the summer with updates on my park and whatever else I've been up to.

Glad to be of help. And since you are using a laptop, you do need keep the CS down as they do take up a lot of ram when loading in. Also from what I have been able to figure out, RCT3 does a lousy job of giving back memory space that it no longer uses. That's one of the reasons for a lot of problems, but also keep in mind that Frontier was rushed by Atari to get this game out for the Holiday season and they cheaped out on the graphics handler withing the game. That's why after a certain amount of rides, scenery and peeps, that game starts to slow down and run jerky. I was hoping that a Patch would have come along to fix that but then the whole law suit brought everything to a screeching halt. Chris Sawyer has stated that he is finished with RCT in any way shape or form. He will no longer work on any new version or create anything to do with it. He is burned out from working on three versions and wants nothing more to do with it. So that is why the fans and really brilliant game people have taken over the CS portion of things to keep the game fresh and alive as best they can.

I am glad the graphics hints fixed thing up for you. I don't think you will much difference in the Fireworks show, except for the sky transition as the camera is pretty much at a good distance and doesn't move away. The sky think will be the big difference.

I forgot to meniton that in the graphics toolbox be sure to make the Shadows Dynamic. That gives more movement and depth to them. Also when you make the detail show better on trees they will move more in the wind, which is kind of cool to watch. It's up to you of course, if you like this or not. If not you can always change back.

I will be looking forward to pictures of your Park and any updates you decide to do on the fireworks show.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Okay...interesting problem regarding the sky. My fireworks show is so long that as far as gametime goes, it runs for a solid two or three days (can't remember which one off the top of my head). The problem with this is that even if I lock my sandbox game in nighttime mode, with the new blended transition, it does a really fast day to night transition out of nowhere, looking even weirder than the glitchy sky.

I hadn't thought about that as usually I only use locked night when I want a specific ride to be dark when videoing it using coaster cam. The overall blend doesn't affect something inside a building or mountain all that much. But you are right. I went outside in one of my parks and locked night and watched it. It works within a Park while moving around, but I guess in a fireworks show it does look strange. I think there are a couple of other choices in that day/night drop down menu. You might want to try something else. If nothing looks good, then I guess you just have to leave it normal as that is a less distracting look during a night show. Sorry about that, I didn't think about that little bit of light that shows during the transition phase. Weird huh?

Thank You Poisonedapples

No reason to apologize. I admit it is a bit weird, especially since I have it locked in night mode anyways. Thank you for all of your help, though. I'll keep the nighttime thing in mind when doing some other videos and stuff. The other option was cycle, but that did sort of the same thing as blend when outside, except it lasted longer. I like the blend in terms of transitioning day to night, but as for how it works with the fireworks show, it appears to be a bit more troublesome than the normal mode. Thanks for the tip, though.