Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• I am dragon hear me roar!

Where were you when...?

It's always interesting to look back on the things that change our world. I answered this question somewhere else earlier today and it got me curious so I'll pose the question here...

Where were you during 9/11?

Myself, I was actually living in New York at the time. And I was scheduled to do a music video shoot in the vicinity of the towers. However the shoot was pushed back 2 weeks so I went back to California to spend time with my sister. My aunt called early in the morning thinking I was still in NY and told me to turn on the TV. I turned it on just in time to see the second plane hit. Sadly, 2 of my friends (one of which one of my roommates) were killed in the event.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Re: Where were you when...?

My Mom woke me up the morning of just about 5 minutes before 6am PST to tell me that a plane had crashed into one of the towers of the World Trade Center - a 'horrible accident' as it was being reported on KTLA Morning News - out of Hollywood, CA.

So, I was lying there watching this unfold....and then as I lay there, I watched a live feed of the 2nd plane hit the 2nd tower! I got chills as I realized that this was no longer an accident.

The day unfolded to the Pentagon attack and attempted but failed attempt on the White House.

What we came to find out is that the pilot of the plane that was hijacked and crashed into the Pentagon was piloted by Charles Burlingame. He was the older brother of my parents high school friend - Brad Burlingame.....Charles went to Anaheim High School, and that's how my Dad knew him, aside of being buddies with his younger brother.

Two years ago I spoke to a man that was in our office giving us demonstrations and classes on company security. During lunch, I learned that he was in the 2nd tower on the 42nd floor when the first tower was hit.

Bizarre. I'll never forget that day.

• Purple Crates ♥

I was working at The Nature Company in a mall near me. I was going into work and was flipping through radio stations. I came across one that had a live feed from the Today Show and they were talking about it.

Got to work and we got a little 'emergency TV' we sold and shortly after we got it working saw the next plane hit.

I'm lucky in that no one I know directly was there at all, but there was an executive for The Discovery Channel stores that was killed in the plane that crashed in the field.

The mall was a ghost town. Stores started closing and so did we and we went home and like everyone else, watched CNN the rest of the day.

My store ended up closing that Christmas season, a few days before Christmas. I miss working there.

• 333: I'm only half evil!!

Blog Entries

I was sitting at home with Austin, 4 years old, and Tyler, who was 7 months old at the time. Scott had just gone to work and I called him when I saw the news on TV. He was in the Army Reserves and later that year he found out he was to be deployed. His re-enlistment date was actually right before he was to leave. He ended up not re-enlisting. A lot had happened prior in that year so he needed to be home.
    AP Holder.
    Stay at home mom of 4 - Austin, Tyler, Sierra and Ashlyn.

• Senior Minion

Truly this is a day that none of us will forget. In the mornings I like to shower and have the radio on, so when the planes hit I was in the shower getting ready for work. I recall the announcer breaking in saying that a plane had crashed into the WTC, and I personally couldn't believe it. As the announcer kept going on he then said there was another plane - at this point I was in shock at what was going on.

I kept getting ready for work, and part of my commute is going through Downtown L.A. and I recall lots of people heading out of the area, there was also tight security around the high rise buildings as they were being evacuated.

When I finally got to work I found out they also hit Pentagon. Since at the time I worked in West L.A. near the Federal building and Memorial Cemetery my boss had us go home.

• Yes?

I was already at work when it happened. I worked at a bank and was in the drive-through, secluded from the rest of the bank, when one of the managers came back and told us something about a plane crashing into a building in New York but we didn't know the severity or impact of it at the time. I remember not getting to see any of the footage until I went to lunch, we had a TV on in the lobby with the news. I just remember thinking it was so surreal and like a disaster movie. I called my dad and he wanted to know where my daughter was because I was at work. I told him not to worry, she was with my MIL at her house. He was really concerned about it and most things never bothered him. Then one of our regular commercial customers was all freaked out because her sister woked at the Pentagon and they couldn't get in touch with her. They eventually did the next day and she wasn't anywhere near the impact site luckily.

It's interesting, each generation seems to have one of these major events that they will always remember where they were when it happened. For my mom, it was the Kennedy assasination. For me, it is the Challenger Shuttle explosion and 9/11. For this current generation it is 9/11.
    Quote Originally Posted by larasound View Post
    am I the burrito man?

• Hola

Well my mom's friend works in the twin towers, she had worked on the eighth floor but she was on a break at the time when the plane was coming down and was on the fourth floor and managed to get out. For me that day... I Can't remeber sadly

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

My family had just woken up and was having breakfast.

My honey had signed up the week before in the National Guard, he was deployed to NYC almost immediately. Those men they showed in uniform on the subways, that was my boyfriend. He said he had never seen such patriotism like he experienced while he was there.

• Smile, It's Free!

Weirdly I can remember quite vividly what i was doing. Well I had just started secondary school a few days eariler and on the way home in the car (20mins @ about 3pm) journey we had the radio on and heard this is all going on. When we got to my brother's childminder we went inside and saw the pictures, and then the 2nd plane arrived. It felt us speechless.

The week before 9/11, my wife and two kids took a trip to her mom's place in Florida. I am a systems admin and worked for the government and was in the middle of an upgrade so i could not go with them. They came back on 9/10 at about midnight. Their connecting flight was at the New Jersey airport where the terrorists hijacked the planes. They were probably in the airport the same time my family was. They were quite delayed, don't remember why, and we finally got home at 2:00am 9/11. We were pretty tired so i just took a day off on 9/11. Then i remember turning on the news in the morning like i always do and saw it as it happened. I kept talking to my partners at work to update them.

The thing i remember most about the day itself, besides Christmas, that was the most quietest day i can recall. No planes flying, hardly any traffic on the roads. Seemed like everyone was home watching it unfurl.

• Minion

Ah.. 9/11. Sad Sad Day. I Was A Little Kid Back Then. I Was In Pre-K When This Happened. My Mom/Dad Took Me Out Of The School To Watch This Sad Sad Thing Happen I Was Crying For HOURS! Why Do Ppl Have To Be So MEAN! AND GREADY! AND GOOD FOR NOTHING! LOL Now.. I dont even remember the towers. only pictures. and movies. thats the only way i really get to see them. I dont remember that long ago but i know it was a sad day. and people cried and cried And So Did I. My Cuz. dad, Got To See it up close. bc he works in NYC, in a big building i could just dream about it. what happened.. to ALL those people This Day Is The Day That Alot Of PpL Died From Stupid Bombers!.

• The Darkness to Light

Asleep. That's right. I slept through 9-11.
    WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

• Banned User

Am i late?

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy
    42nd floor
    Is there anything important about that floor?

I was in 6th grade at that time. I was just waking up to go to school and it was right after the first plane hit. I wore an american flag T-shirt that day to show my support.
    Thats all i could remember.

• Haha. Mud is great :] <3

i was actually in the shower... (at the time i lived in new york) IT WAS SO SCARY! I DIDNT KNOW WHAT TO DO. i quickly called my mom, because she was out with some friends. i was so scared! out of my mind! i didnt know what happened until a little after. we evacuated our house, and quickly hopped in the car. we drove around for a while, and of course, by the time we get there, everything was blocked off, we could not see much from the angle we were at, and of course we were very far away. it was scary, and ever since i never liked the date of 9/11. i didnt go to school last tuesday, and probably never will on 9/11. it was scary, not knowing what would happen, where they would go next. i'll always remember the feeling i had. my uncle was in the plane, and sadly died. i'll always remember him and that day. peace to the world.
    ----Heather
    vmk name: Heather_Princess

I was watching the Today Show and they were speculating about the first plane being an accidental hit , when the view showed the second plane hitting. Ghastly.

My dau and her kids were living in NYC at the time and it took forever to find out if they were okay.

Dreams
    Last edited by SweetestDreams; 09-26-2007 at 11:50 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast