Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Wii overtakes 360 in worldwide sales

Fun beats power!

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6178666...ewstop;title;1

Report: Wii overtakes 360 in international sales

Financial Times reports that, despite a year head start, Microsoft's console has fallen behind Nintendo's plucky box; PS3 running a distant third.

By Tor Thorsen, GameSpot Posted Sep 12, 2007 5:42 pm PT

Today, the Financial Times reported that the three-way race between the next-generation consoles has a new frontrunner. Citing cumulative sales data through the end of July, the British newspaper's Japanese correspondent is claiming that the Nintendo Wii has now sold more units worldwide than the Xbox 360, despite the latter's year-long head start.
    According to the Times, approximately 9 million Wiis were purchased across the globe as of July 31, just barely overtaking the 360's sales of 8.9 million units during the same period. Both platforms were far ahead of the PlayStation 3, which sold only around an estimated 3.7 million units internationally.
    If those numbers seem low, it's because they are for consoles that have been sold, not shipped. Typically, hardware makers tout the number of consoles they have shipped into the retail channels, not the number of actual consoles sold. In July, Microsoft announced it had shipped 11.5 million 360s, short of its self-imposed 12-million-unit goal. In May, Sony said it produced 5.5 million PS3s worldwide, though it has since changed its tracking method to account for consoles sold instead of made. Reps for Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony had not responded to requests for comment on the Times piece as of press time.
    If accurate, the Wii sales milestone is a watershed for Nintendo. Though it has consistently dominated the handheld market, the 9-million-unit figure would mark the first time since the Super Nintendo Entertainment System era that Nintendo can lay claim to the best-selling console of its generation.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Rides against injustice

Re: Wii overtakes 360 in worldwide sales

Wow!!
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

• Disneyland is your land.

Its kind of cool that the House of Mario is back on top after two generations of lackluster results -- but Halo 3 hasn't come out yet (which will inevitibly drive sales for the 360.)
    Class of 2005...

• out & about

Quote Originally Posted by ssmccullough View Post
    Its kind of cool that the House of Mario is back on top after two generations of lackluster results -- but Halo 3 hasn't come out yet (which will inevitibly drive sales for the 360.)
    Im not so sure Halo 3 will drive sales of the 360. I agree that H3 will be a VERY successful game but it is aimed at a highly specific audience of hardcore gamers... most of which I would suspect already have a 360. There might be a small surge in unit sales but I doubt it will be in any way significant enough to regain the #1 spot... especially if Nintendo can keep its production up on new Wiis.

On another note... I was at the DTD Virgin Megastore and overheard the demo guys taking down a Demo 360 tourney they had. One of the guys asked the other why they dont do Nintendo Wii Demos like this or have in store toureys and the other guy replied, "Cause the Wii sells itself".

Whether or not thats a fact, Im not sure. But, if thats the impression people are getting then its the reality.
    Last edited by WRDup; 09-15-2007 at 05:54 AM.
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

WplusK.com
    http://twitter.com/WRDinc

• 'splosions

Talking Re: Wii overtakes 360 in worldwide sales

Quote Originally Posted by WRDup View Post
    Im not so sure Halo 3 will drive sales of the 360. I agree that H3 will be a VERY successful game but it is aimed at a highly specific audience of hardcore gamers... most of which I would suspect already have a 360. There might be a small surge in unit sales but I doubt it will be in any way significant enough to regain the #1 spot... especially if Nintendo can keep its production up on new Wiis.

On another note... I was at the DTD Virgin Megastore and overheard the demo guys taking down a Demo 360 tourney they had. One of the guys asked the other why they dont do Nintendo Wii Demos like this or have in store toureys and the other guy replied, "Cause the Wii sells itself".

Whether or not thats a fact, Im not sure. But, if thats the impression people are getting then its the reality.
    theres another reason having to do with Big N not wanting the controller attached to anything because that would limit the amount of fun with it. Unfortunately that means they cant do displays or demos in stores because someone would steal the Wiimote.

unless you were lucky enough to have Nintendo reps come to a local Best Buy and show off there like they did around here

• Minion

Honestly, I don't even think the Wii can be compared to the other consoles. Based on the sales of the powerhouse traditional games that have come out, it's pretty clear that the markets are completely different. It's the equivalent of saying Honda civics are outselling Ferrari's. They can't be compared.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian View Post
    Honestly, I don't even think the Wii can be compared to the other consoles. Based on the sales of the powerhouse traditional games that have come out, it's pretty clear that the markets are completely different. It's the equivalent of saying Honda civics are outselling Ferrari's. They can't be compared.
    Congratulations on finally understanding what we have all been saying!

Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by justjohn View Post
    Congratulations on finally understanding what we have all been saying!

Dude, don't make me search through all the threads where people got butt hurt when someone said most Wii owners are "non-gamers"

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Dude, don't make me search through all the threads where people got butt hurt when someone said most Wii owners are "non-gamers"
    Go for it...

Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Minion

Take your pick from the Wii Fit thread. Where the argument over the definition of a gamer ensued

Oy.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Take your pick from the Wii Fit thread. Where the argument over the definition of a gamer ensued

Oy.
    Wow...

We can both read the same thread and get two completely different things out of it.

Everyone in that thread was saying that the Wii was made for a new segment of gamer. Whatever your definition of gamer is, the fact that people play with the console makes them gamers.

Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Face it, digital gaming is going to come in way more flavors than the tradititional outlets. One of the fastest growing segments in the next year is going to be mobile gaming for cell phones. You have KH, MGS and a number of other major titles coming over to cell phones. We are going to see HUGE changes in who the demo is in the near future.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Minion

I see what you're saying. People who enjoy Brittany Spears can technically be called lovers of music, and kids with homemade exhausts who weave in and out of traffic can be called racers...

I think there's a difference though. That's neither here nor there. My point has been proven. The average wii game likes wii (minigame) style games. At least at this time...

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

I see what you're saying. People who enjoy Brittany Spears can technically be called lovers of music, and kids with homemade exhausts who weave in and out of traffic can be called racers...

I think there's a difference though. That's neither here nor there. My point has been proven. The average wii game likes wii (minigame) style games. At least at this time...
    yes, you are right on all counts.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Hey, just because prime rib is good, doesn't discount how good a Costco hot dog is. You have to appreciate things for what they are.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast