Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1

    • Mr. Faranheit
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7,515
    Blog Entries
    2

    Wii overtakes 360 in worldwide sales

    Fun beats power!

    http://www.gamespot.com/news/6178666...ewstop;title;1

    Report: Wii overtakes 360 in international sales

    Financial Times reports that, despite a year head start, Microsoft's console has fallen behind Nintendo's plucky box; PS3 running a distant third.

    By Tor Thorsen, GameSpot Posted Sep 12, 2007 5:42 pm PT

    Today, the Financial Times reported that the three-way race between the next-generation consoles has a new frontrunner. Citing cumulative sales data through the end of July, the British newspaper's Japanese correspondent is claiming that the Nintendo Wii has now sold more units worldwide than the Xbox 360, despite the latter's year-long head start.
    According to the Times, approximately 9 million Wiis were purchased across the globe as of July 31, just barely overtaking the 360's sales of 8.9 million units during the same period. Both platforms were far ahead of the PlayStation 3, which sold only around an estimated 3.7 million units internationally.
    If those numbers seem low, it's because they are for consoles that have been sold, not shipped. Typically, hardware makers tout the number of consoles they have shipped into the retail channels, not the number of actual consoles sold. In July, Microsoft announced it had shipped 11.5 million 360s, short of its self-imposed 12-million-unit goal. In May, Sony said it produced 5.5 million PS3s worldwide, though it has since changed its tracking method to account for consoles sold instead of made. Reps for Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony had not responded to requests for comment on the Times piece as of press time.
    If accurate, the Wii sales milestone is a watershed for Nintendo. Though it has consistently dominated the handheld market, the 9-million-unit figure would mark the first time since the Super Nintendo Entertainment System era that Nintendo can lay claim to the best-selling console of its generation.
    Be controversial

    Be outspoken

    Be outrageous

    Just don't be boring

  2. #2

    • Rides against injustice
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sun Valley,CA
    Posts
    1,085

    Re: Wii overtakes 360 in worldwide sales

    Wow!!
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

  3. #3

    • Disneyland is your land.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    592

    Re: Wii overtakes 360 in worldwide sales

    Its kind of cool that the House of Mario is back on top after two generations of lackluster results -- but Halo 3 hasn't come out yet (which will inevitibly drive sales for the 360.)
    Class of 2005...

  4. #4

    • out & about
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Getting there
    Posts
    1,373

    Re: Wii overtakes 360 in worldwide sales

    Quote Originally Posted by ssmccullough View Post
    Its kind of cool that the House of Mario is back on top after two generations of lackluster results -- but Halo 3 hasn't come out yet (which will inevitibly drive sales for the 360.)
    Im not so sure Halo 3 will drive sales of the 360. I agree that H3 will be a VERY successful game but it is aimed at a highly specific audience of hardcore gamers... most of which I would suspect already have a 360. There might be a small surge in unit sales but I doubt it will be in any way significant enough to regain the #1 spot... especially if Nintendo can keep its production up on new Wiis.

    On another note... I was at the DTD Virgin Megastore and overheard the demo guys taking down a Demo 360 tourney they had. One of the guys asked the other why they dont do Nintendo Wii Demos like this or have in store toureys and the other guy replied, "Cause the Wii sells itself".

    Whether or not thats a fact, Im not sure. But, if thats the impression people are getting then its the reality.
    Last edited by WRDup; 09-15-2007 at 05:54 AM.
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

    WplusK.com
    http://twitter.com/WRDinc

  5. #5

    • 'splosions
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    16.4 miles from Disneyland
    Posts
    796

    Talking Re: Wii overtakes 360 in worldwide sales

    Quote Originally Posted by WRDup View Post
    Im not so sure Halo 3 will drive sales of the 360. I agree that H3 will be a VERY successful game but it is aimed at a highly specific audience of hardcore gamers... most of which I would suspect already have a 360. There might be a small surge in unit sales but I doubt it will be in any way significant enough to regain the #1 spot... especially if Nintendo can keep its production up on new Wiis.

    On another note... I was at the DTD Virgin Megastore and overheard the demo guys taking down a Demo 360 tourney they had. One of the guys asked the other why they dont do Nintendo Wii Demos like this or have in store toureys and the other guy replied, "Cause the Wii sells itself".

    Whether or not thats a fact, Im not sure. But, if thats the impression people are getting then its the reality.
    theres another reason having to do with Big N not wanting the controller attached to anything because that would limit the amount of fun with it. Unfortunately that means they cant do displays or demos in stores because someone would steal the Wiimote.

    unless you were lucky enough to have Nintendo reps come to a local Best Buy and show off there like they did around here

  6. #6

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lakewood, CA
    Posts
    4,539

    Re: Wii overtakes 360 in worldwide sales

    Honestly, I don't even think the Wii can be compared to the other consoles. Based on the sales of the powerhouse traditional games that have come out, it's pretty clear that the markets are completely different. It's the equivalent of saying Honda civics are outselling Ferrari's. They can't be compared.

  7. #7

    • Mr. Faranheit
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7,515
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Wii overtakes 360 in worldwide sales

    Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian View Post
    Honestly, I don't even think the Wii can be compared to the other consoles. Based on the sales of the powerhouse traditional games that have come out, it's pretty clear that the markets are completely different. It's the equivalent of saying Honda civics are outselling Ferrari's. They can't be compared.
    Congratulations on finally understanding what we have all been saying!

    Be controversial

    Be outspoken

    Be outrageous

    Just don't be boring

  8. #8

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lakewood, CA
    Posts
    4,539

    Re: Wii overtakes 360 in worldwide sales

    Quote Originally Posted by justjohn View Post
    Congratulations on finally understanding what we have all been saying!

    Dude, don't make me search through all the threads where people got butt hurt when someone said most Wii owners are "non-gamers"

  9. #9

    • Mr. Faranheit
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7,515
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Wii overtakes 360 in worldwide sales

    Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian View Post
    Dude, don't make me search through all the threads where people got butt hurt when someone said most Wii owners are "non-gamers"
    Go for it...

    Be controversial

    Be outspoken

    Be outrageous

    Just don't be boring

  10. #10

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lakewood, CA
    Posts
    4,539

    Re: Wii overtakes 360 in worldwide sales

    Take your pick from the Wii Fit thread. Where the argument over the definition of a gamer ensued

    Oy.

  11. #11

    • Mr. Faranheit
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7,515
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Wii overtakes 360 in worldwide sales

    Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian View Post
    Take your pick from the Wii Fit thread. Where the argument over the definition of a gamer ensued

    Oy.
    Wow...

    We can both read the same thread and get two completely different things out of it.

    Everyone in that thread was saying that the Wii was made for a new segment of gamer. Whatever your definition of gamer is, the fact that people play with the console makes them gamers.

    Be controversial

    Be outspoken

    Be outrageous

    Just don't be boring

  12. #12

    • Mr. Faranheit
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7,515
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Wii overtakes 360 in worldwide sales

    Face it, digital gaming is going to come in way more flavors than the tradititional outlets. One of the fastest growing segments in the next year is going to be mobile gaming for cell phones. You have KH, MGS and a number of other major titles coming over to cell phones. We are going to see HUGE changes in who the demo is in the near future.
    Be controversial

    Be outspoken

    Be outrageous

    Just don't be boring

  13. #13

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lakewood, CA
    Posts
    4,539

    Re: Wii overtakes 360 in worldwide sales

    I see what you're saying. People who enjoy Brittany Spears can technically be called lovers of music, and kids with homemade exhausts who weave in and out of traffic can be called racers...

    I think there's a difference though. That's neither here nor there. My point has been proven. The average wii game likes wii (minigame) style games. At least at this time...

  14. #14

    • Mr. Faranheit
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7,515
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Wii overtakes 360 in worldwide sales

    Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian View Post
    I see what you're saying. People who enjoy Brittany Spears can technically be called lovers of music, and kids with homemade exhausts who weave in and out of traffic can be called racers...

    I think there's a difference though. That's neither here nor there. My point has been proven. The average wii game likes wii (minigame) style games. At least at this time...
    yes, you are right on all counts.
    Be controversial

    Be outspoken

    Be outrageous

    Just don't be boring

  15. #15

    • Mr. Faranheit
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7,515
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Wii overtakes 360 in worldwide sales

    Hey, just because prime rib is good, doesn't discount how good a Costco hot dog is. You have to appreciate things for what they are.
    Be controversial

    Be outspoken

    Be outrageous

    Just don't be boring

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Disney Channel Worldwide adds a VP
    By ALIASd in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-20-2007, 09:37 AM
  2. Red Carpets Worldwide
    By ALIASd in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-16-2007, 04:43 PM
  3. Pirates : AWE premieres worldwide?
    By idzy in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-18-2007, 05:52 PM
  4. OK then... so what if the HCOE truly was a 'worldwide' celebration?
    By Speedway in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 01-23-2006, 01:03 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •