Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

When will Sony learn?

Sure, they will bring it out for $400 here, but you just lost access to all of the PS2 titles. What a joke! They got rid of one of the major reasons for buying a PS3.

One of the worst kept secrets in the games industry has finally been officially announced. After a flurry of rumours and leaks that a new 40GB SKU of the PlayStation 3 would be coming, Sony has finally confirmed the speculation is, in fact, no longer speculation.
    The new 40GB version will debut in the UK on October 10 and is "no longer backwards compatible with PlayStation 2 titles," according to Sony. It will also only sport two USB slots instead of four and will ditch the multimemory card port--although this can be added on with an accessory. The 40GB version will go on sale at a price point of 299 (about $610).

The 40GB PS3 in the wild.

In a statement, Sony said of the lack of backwards compatibility that it reflected, "both the reduced emphasis placed on this feature amongst later purchasers of PS3, as well as the availability of a more extensive lineup of PS3-specific titles."
    When asked about PSOne games, Sony told GameSpot, "the backwards compatibility of PSOne titles is achieved through software and the vast majority of PSOne titles are backwards compatible with the new PS3." Sony did not return calls to comment by press time on why PlayStation 2 compatibility--which has always been handled with software in European PS3s--could not be achieved with the new model as well.
    That's not all UK Sony fans are getting for the holidays. Sony also announced a price drop on the standard 60GB version, which will continue to be sold alongside the new model. The current Starter Pack, which boasted a 60GB PS3, two first-party games, and two Sixaxis controllers, will be discontinued.
    It will be replaced by the new Value Pack, which will feature a backwards compatible 60GB PS3, one Sixaxis wireless controller, two first-party titles, and will cost 349 (about $712)--a 76 (about $155) price drop from the current price of 425 (about $868).
    "As we approach our very first PlayStation Christmas, it is satisfying to be able to offer UK consumers the choice of two PlayStation 3 packages both now representing remarkable value," commented Ray Maguire, managing director of Sony Computer Entertainment UK.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Minion

Re: When will Sony learn?

Quote Originally Posted by justjohn View Post
    Sure, they will bring it out for $400 here, but you just lost access to all of the PS2 titles. What a joke! They got rid of one of the major reasons for buying a PS3.
    It's pretty sad that's one of the main reasons to buy a PS3. I remember this time last year, so optimistic, so hopeful, so fangirlish for Sony. :[

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Modern Folly View Post
    It's pretty sad that's one of the main reasons to buy a PS3. I remember this time last year, so optimistic, so hopeful, so fangirlish for Sony. :[
    Well, unfortunately, the powerhouse games still aren't here and the selection that has been out is pretty weak. Anything third party that I was interested in, I already bought for 360.

Most games are also more enjoyable with the rumble feature in the controller (that I will have to buy next year). The PS3 controllers feel dead after so many years of having rumble as standard.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

From a post on playstation.com forums.

Hey guys, it's really simple how removing PS2 BC saves money: The 80GB PS3 with software emulation still uses a PS2 graphics card on the actual motherboard of the system. The software is only emulation the PS2 CPU (better known as the Emotion Engine). So now they have completely removed ALL PS2 chips from the PS3.

So essentially the 60GB PS3 has the PS2 CPU as well as the PS2 GPU. I hope this clears it up for everbody cuz there has been confusion on this issue everywhere (N4G, Kotaku, IGN, etc)
    If this is true, it also means there isn't a chance of EVER getting backward compatibility. They could have at least sold it as an upgrade to cover the costs.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

I don't know if this is true or not, but someone told me one of the newer PS3 models will not play blue-rays.

What a jip that it's not backward though. That's always a top consideration of mine when thinking about buying a next gen system. It was a huge reason I went ahead and bought a Wii. I don't throw away all the old games I love just because I have a fancy new system with one to four worthy titles.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by justjohn View Post
    Well, unfortunately, the powerhouse games still aren't here and the selection that has been out is pretty weak. Anything third party that I was interested in, I already bought for 360.

Most games are also more enjoyable with the rumble feature in the controller (that I will have to buy next year). The PS3 controllers feel dead after so many years of having rumble as standard.
    The only exclusive title (out of many) that I remember yet to be released is MGS4, pretty depressing. I remember an interview with Jack Tretton in which he said that he felt that the rumble feature added nothing to the gaming experience. What a tool.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cerpin taxt View Post
    I don't know if this is true or not, but someone told me one of the newer PS3 models will not play blue-rays.

What a jip that it's not backward though. That's always a top consideration of mine when thinking about buying a next gen system. It was a huge reason I went ahead and bought a Wii. I don't throw away all the old games I love just because I have a fancy new system with one to four worthy titles.
    I doubt its true. The main reason is for Blu-Ray is space. If they made a PS3 that didn't use Blu=Ray, they would make it obsolete once REALLY large games start coming out...

Wait a minute, they've already obsoleted two systems in the first year of launch!

"both the reduced emphasis placed on this feature amongst later purchasers of PS3, as well as the availability of a more extensive lineup of PS3-specific titles."
    Ok...

I may be able to see this as a reason...
    When asked about PSOne games, Sony told GameSpot, "the backwards compatibility of PSOne titles is achieved through software and the vast majority of PSOne titles are backwards compatible with the new PS3."
    but then why make it backwards compatable to the PS1? It has to do with the hardware...

Without the graphics card, it can't run the games.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

The only exclusive title (out of many) that I remember yet to be released is MGS4, pretty depressing. I remember an interview with Jack Tretton in which he said that he felt that the rumble feature added nothing to the gaming experience. What a tool.
    I think if they say it enough, they may be able to convince people. From my personal experience, it adds A LOT to the experience.

MGS4 is one of the few games I am actually looking forward to. Ratchet and Clank also, but as great as that game is, I don't want to pay $60 bucks for it.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

GameDaily BIZ also contacted SCEE spokesman Nick Sharples who told us, "We have made clear on many occasions that our priority is on developing innovative new features and services for PS3 and not on backwards compatibility. The 40GB model no longer contains any elements of the PS2 chip set which powered backwards compatibility in previous models, and is therefore only compatible with PS one titles."
    http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=17683

BC is done. Thank GOD I bought a 60GB. My PS2 just fried out and I would hate to have to buy another one or throw my games away.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

There's also Eldar Scrolls and the 2 plannd Final Fantasy titles for us RPG nerds. But Eldar Scrolls is the only one out right now. So I can wait awhile for the price to keep dropping. But if important features on it keep dropping too, and if all they have to sell are the inferior models, then forget it. Final Fantasy and blue ray are the biggest reasons I really want one. Get rid of the blue ray, the backward compatibily and everything else and I'm not going to pay $400 just for 3 or 4 games.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by cerpin taxt View Post
    There's also Eldar Scrolls and the 2 plannd Final Fantasy titles for us RPG nerds. But Eldar Scrolls is the only one out right now. So I can wait awhile for the price to keep dropping. But if important features on it keep dropping too, and if all they have to sell are the inferior models, then forget it. Final Fantasy and blue ray are the biggest reasons I really want one. Get rid of the blue ray, the backward compatibily and everything else and I'm not going to pay $400 just for 3 or 4 games.
    How could I forget about the FFXIII series. Well two games aren't going to sell me this system, and without the backwards compatibility? Forget it.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Still leaves me out, I don't play RPG's...
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

gaaack!
    OK, IS IT A PRICE ADJUSTMENT OR A CLEARANCE THIS TIME? I HOPE THEY GET THEIR STORY STRAIGHT!

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6181252...ewstop;title;1

For those who either don't want the stripped-down 40GB PS3 or simply can't wait until November 2, SCEA also announced it is cutting the price of its 80GB model to just $499 in the US. (The 80GB console is not currently available in Europe.) Though the PS3 remains the most expensive game console on the market, today's announcement puts both models within reach of the $349 Xbox 360 Pro and the $449 Xbox 360 Elite.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Minion

lol, I read that this morning. I'm a little closer to picking one up, but still gonna wait a little more.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian View Post
    lol, I read that this morning. I'm a little closer to picking one up, but still gonna wait a little more.
    Don't do it! Biggest waste of money I've ever made for now.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast