Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Pilot EdForceOne

More PS3 Price flopping around - Sony annouces price drops for Japan and new model

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071009/tc_nm/sony_ps3_dc_3

Sony to cut PS3 prices in Japan and offer new model

56 minutes ago

TOKYO (Reuters) - Sony Corp said it would cut the price of its PlayStation 3 game console by 10 percent in Japan and launch a new model, in a bid to ignite demand in the run-up to the critical year-end shopping season.
    ADVERTISEMENT
    Click here to find out more!

The move follows a similar announcement from Sony on its European game operations last week as the Tokyo-based electronics and entertainment conglomerate plays catchup with Nintendo Co Ltd's hot-selling Wii.

The PS3 has lagged the Wii in sales since the devices were launched late last year due to the Sony machine's high price and scarcity of strong game titles.

Following the late afternoon announcement, shares in Nintendo lost gains and closed lower.

Sony said on Tuesday it would lower the price of the PS3 with a 20 gigabyte (GB) hard disk drive to 44,980 yen ($384) from 49,980 yen on October 17.

It will also start selling its 60 GB model at 54,980 yen. Sony has not so far suggested a price for the 60 GB model, but it currently retails for around 60,000 yen.

Besides the price cuts, Sony, which competes with Microsoft Corp and Nintendo in the videogame industry, plans to launch a new PS3 with a 40 GB hard drive at 39,980 yen in Japan on November 11.

That is still 60 percent higher than the 25,000 yen price tag for the Wii.

Although the price of the 40 GB model will undercut the 20 GB machine by 5,000 yen, or 11 percent, the new 40 GB set lacks some functions that the 20 GB model offers, including compatibility with game software designed for the PlayStation 2.

Lowering prices will likely help drive PS3 sales in Japan, but the machine's competitiveness still falls short of that of the Wii, analysts said.

"As underlined by the delay in the "Gran Turismo" launch, there has been only limited progress in addressing the problem of software shortage," Mizuho Investors Securities analyst Etsuko Tamura said.

Sony last month postponed the launch of "Gran Turismo 5 Prologue," the latest installment of Sony's popular in-house racing game, to December 13 from October.

Prior to the announcement, shares in Sony closed up 0.5 percent at 5,820 yen, while Nintendo shares, which closed on the Osaka Securities Exchange after the announcement, ended down 0.5 percent at 62,700 yen.
    More monkey movement - less action! Sony is floundering here.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Re: More PS3 Price flopping around - Sony annouces price drops for Japan and new mode

So it's going to be less than $20 cheaper(on a $400 system that's not a huge savings), but they're cutting the memory in half, am I right? But the 20GB model will get some of the important features back. Why the hell did they not just make the 40GB model right in the first place and cut its price down to $300. I might actually consider buying one then.

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Re: More PS3 Price flopping around - Sony annouces price drops for Japan and new mode

... because the people at Sony is too busy worrying about Blu-Ray and how they can ruin the "PlayStation" brand that they worked so hard to establish.

It just seems they have no clue what they are doing anymore. The loads of political infighting among Sony divisions (which lead to the whole "PlayStation now means Blu-Ray and movies, not Games!" mentality over there) doesn't help either.
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

• Circle of Ancients

This is idiotic.

Backwards compatability is one of the major selling points for ANY console anymore. By having twice as much memory and a lower price than the 20gb they are doing something right. But taking away backwards compatability is idiotic.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    This is idiotic.

Backwards compatability is one of the major selling points for ANY console anymore. By having twice as much memory and a lower price than the 20gb they are doing something right. But taking away backwards compatability is idiotic.
    Seriously. I've owned a ps3 for a few months and I don't have one game for it -- I play Ps1/Ps2 games on it and use it as a media/bluray player (including downloadable ps3 demos and hi-def trailers). If it wasn't backwards compatible I never would have bought it.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Pilot EdForceOne

Yup.. the writing was on the wall when they introduced the new hardware in Europe.. now you are starting to see it spread.

Here's some follow-up articles. I didn't think the chip removal removed ALL backwards compatibility, just reduced it.. but this gamespot article infers it removes all compatibility.

Sony announces PS3 price drop, 40GB SKU, new colour for Japan
    Following announcements made in Europe and Australia, island nation will be getting a similar deal, along with new ceramic white hue for the next-gen console.
    By Emma Boyes, GameSpot UK
    Posted Oct 9, 2007 2:43 am PT

Sony's holiday strategy plans for Japan have been revealed, and they appear to be similar to those in Europe and Australia. The Japanese will be getting the brand-new 40GB PlayStation 3 model on November 11, the first anniversary of the PS3 in the region. Prices for the 20GB and 60GB models will be reduced on October 17.

The new model, which had been rumoured for several weeks before its official announcement, is two USB ports short of the 60GB premium model. It also lacks a memory card slot and is not backward compatible with PlayStation 2 games.

In Japan, the 40GB model will cost 39,980 (approx. $341), and will come in a choice of two different colours: standard black and the new ceramic white. On November 11--the same day the 40GB model goes on sale--the Dual Shock 3 controller will also become available.

The Dual Shock 3 was announced by Kaz Hirai at this year's Tokyo Game Show, and the new controller will feature both motion-sensing controls and a rumble function. The new wireless controller will cost 5,500 ($47) and will also be available in black and ceramic white.

The first 200,000 people who buy a PlayStation 3 in Japan after October 17 will receive a free copy of the Spider-Man 3 Blu-ray movie.

Just before the launch of the new SKU, Sony will be dropping the price of the 20GB and 60GB versions of the console, both of which are still on sale in Japan. The new prices will come into effect on October 17 and will be 44,980 ($383) for the 20GB version, and 54,980 ($469) for the 60GB model--a 5,000 ($43) drop for each.
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/6180614...ewstop;title;7

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Pilot EdForceOne

And the inevidible rumors about this hardware making it to the states. A $399 price point would be very interesting though!!

40GB PS3 hitting NA Nov. 2?

Source: Showbiz trade The Hollywood Reporter.

What we heard: After weeks of rumors, leaks, and nondenials of its nonexistence, the 40GB PlayStation 3 officially unveiled last week. However, while reports about the new stripped-down console had come from all over the globe--including US and Australian retailers--Sony has confirmed its release only in Europe and the UK.

Now, though, it appears US and Canadian gamers may be able to finally mark their calendars. Today, the Hollywood Reporter, one of the most widely read and influential entertainment-focused dailies on the planet, is reporting the 40GB will arrive on North American shores in less than a month. The Reporter quotes an "industry source" as saying, "We're hearing November 2" and confirmed the date with a "buyer for a major game retailer."

Unsurprisingly, the Reporter also says the console will have the same stripped-down form factor as the European 40GB PS3, with just two USB ports, no memory card readers, and the still-baffling lack of software-based backward compatibility. However, as rumored, the console will be $399, $200 cheaper than the $599 80GB PS3 Sony currently manufactures for the NA market. (The 60GB model has been discontinued, though some units are still lingering on retailer shelves.)

Though still considerably more than the $249 Wii or $279 Xbox 360 Core, the new price point puts the PS3 in the same ballpark as the $349 Xbox 360 Pro and the $449 Xbox 360 Elite. It will also become the cheapest player of Blu-ray Disc media on the market, helping Sony's ongoing efforts to promote the high-definition format. Indeed, the $399 40GB PS3 will be more affordable than any 360 equipped with the console's $179 HD DVD player add-on, though still more expensive than some stand-alone HD DVD players, which cost as little as $299.

The official story: Sony had not responded to comments on the Reporter report as of press time.

Bogus or not bogus?: Given the Reporter's reputation and the fact the console has already been announced for Europe, this is almost certainly not bogus.
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_bl...ewstop;title;6

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Circle of Ancients

I would not buy any product without backwards compatability.

To me (and I don't think I'm alone in this), backwards compatability is more important than Blu-Ray especially when the "HD-Wars" don't have a clear winner.

Blu-Ray could very well turn out to be the next Beta-Max.

Now if they sold a lesser version with no Blu-Ray and charged less, they might have me.

• Shenanigans.

VIVA Xbox 360! It's hard to find a reason to want a PS3. Heavenly Sword and War Hawk are really good (so I hear), but not a system seller to me. You can get a PS3 used for much cheaper than the price cut mentions and STILL they are sitting around. I really think with Xbox live's superior online experience and the systems backward compatibility (with any game that has sold over 500,000, roughly 400 titles), along with the price, Xbox is the only way to go. It might break every 6 months, but hey, they fix it for free and it gives you some time to enjoy life's other pleasures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristocat View Post
    I miss David.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginarella View Post
    All I know is that David is a pimp Gryffindor.

I don't like most of the X-box games though. I just want PS3 to be cheaper and backward compatible. They need to hurry up with the Square-Enix titles too.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by cerpin taxt View Post
    I don't like most of the X-box games though. I just want PS3 to be cheaper and backward compatible. They need to hurry up with the Square-Enix titles too.
    Looking at the catalog of games though, the PS3 doesn't have very many "exclusive" games. Most games that are coming out for the PS3 are also coming out for the PS2 ... and who doesn't have a PS2?

The Xbox has more exclusive games, they have the multi-platform games and their online play is MUCH easier to use than the PS3.

Of course, they both wish they could be as good as the Wii.

• This space for rent

If they'd get some more exclusive games that I'm interested in on it, I'd take the plunge and get a PS3 alot sooner. I do have hope for them, and am looking forward to the PSP/ PS3 connectivity as it progresses, since I just picked up a PSP. The backward compatibility issue on the PS3 doesn't really matter to me, since I traded in my PS2 and the few games I had for it for credit on my PSP purchase.

• Shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    The Xbox has more exclusive games, they have the multi-platform games and their online play is MUCH easier to use than the PS3.
    ^ This man is always right, except about that little Wii thing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristocat View Post
    I miss David.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginarella View Post
    All I know is that David is a pimp Gryffindor.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by larasound View Post
    ^ This man is always right, except about that little Wii thing!
    Shhhh, you weren't supposed to tell anybody about my little Wii ...

And for always right ... I SO wish.

• Earth Intruder

Feh, there are good games for all of the systems (and lots of good games in the pipeline for ALL systems). The complete online play stuff for the Ps3 (and the ps3 "home" feature) hasn't been implemented yet so I'm not sure how one can "review" the online play versus the Xbox.

I'm sounding like a broken record, but I like the ps3 for the bluray, the backwards compatibility (catching up on ps1/2 games for $5-20 per used is nice), the media storage capabilities, the dvd upscaling via HDMI (I no longer have a regular DVD player), all that stuff. I wouldn't consider the Ps3 if I didn't have an HD television, or if I had already owned a Ps2. It will be a nice added bonus when the good games come out in the next year.

I decided against the Xbox because of the limited media features, that I'm not into their exclusive titles, and the titles I like on the Xbox (i.e. Oblivion, Bioshock, etc.) are all on the PC. Also I wanted a Hi-def player for my HD set and HD-DVD (an EXTRA $200 or whatever) seems like it is dying a slow death.

The Wii is about the fun games, period, and I'm loving it too.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast