Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Wii is on a roll

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6180617...ewstop;title;2

Report: It's going to be a Wii Christmas

Screen Digest analysis reckons that Nintendo will rule the holiday season, with publisher commitment shifting to the console.

By Emma Boyes, GameSpot UK Posted Oct 9, 2007 7:36 am PT

Ho ho ho--Screen Digest predicts that the Wii is going to have a good Christmas. The analyst firm reports that there are 86 games coming out for Nintendo's console in the fourth quarter, compared to 47 for the Xbox 360, and 38 for the PlayStation 3. Of the Wii games, a quarter are console-exclusive, compared to eight for the 360, and five for the PS3.
    Screen Digest believes that the number of Wii games on the market will surpass the number currently available on the Xbox 360 in early 2008. The industry-analyst company states that this is because, "The Wii is proving attractive to publishers not only because of its rapidly growing installed base, but also thanks to lower development costs and the relative ease of transferring development resources to the platform compared with its counterparts."
    The report predicts that the Wii will be the winner this Christmastime--not only for the reasons above but also due to the release of Super Mario Galaxy. Screen Digest says the Wii will be followed by the 360, which has a well-established user base in the US and has also been buoyed by sales of Halo 3. The PS3, says the report, will come in last because, "Sony's release schedule lacks the firepower to command consumer attention during this crucial trading quarter, and it is difficult to see how the catalogue will drive hardware sales in such a competitive environment."
    Screen Digest analyst Ed Barton commented, "Given the PS3's release schedule this Christmas, it's not a surprise that Sony is focusing on lowering the cost of entry to the PS3 platform to maintain parity with its rivals this Christmas."
    The report also lists the UK as a key territory for game development, saying that it "more than holds its own" against the US and Japan.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Re: Wii is on a roll

Cheap... can just make minigame games and throw it out on the marketplace... yah, of course they'll have more games out. :I

Look at Carnival Games... had horrible reviews, yet selling like hotcakes even though it's just another minigame-fest to add to the other hundred of minigame games.

Give me something with a little bit of substance and then I'll be happy with my Wii... until then my launch console will still continue to glow blue because I haven't bothered to get the last two firmware updates and hasn't been turned on for the last FOUR months. I still need to borrow a friend's copy of Metroid, but that's the only thing that remotely interested me since I bought WarioWare at launch back in like what... January?

Why Smash Brothers Brawl... why must you be delayed?! /wrist
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Toast View Post
    Cheap... can just make minigame games and throw it out on the marketplace... yah, of course they'll have more games out. :I

Look at Carnival Games... had horrible reviews, yet selling like hotcakes even though it's just another minigame-fest to add to the other hundred of minigame games.

Give me something with a little bit of substance and then I'll be happy with my Wii... until then my launch console will still continue to glow blue because I haven't bothered to get the last two firmware updates and hasn't been turned on for the last FOUR months. I still need to borrow a friend's copy of Metroid, but that's the only thing that remotely interested me since I bought WarioWare at launch back in like what... January?

Why Smash Brothers Brawl... why must you be delayed?! /wrist
    +1

•   
    • Shenanigans.

Arenít those mini games what the Wii is all about? I hate when Devs try and cram in Wiimote functionality that has no business being in the game. Let's face it that only Nintendo is going to produce games made ONLY for the Wii, everyone else will make games for all platforms with some Wii functionality forced in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristocat View Post
    I miss David.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginarella View Post
    All I know is that David is a pimp Gryffindor.

• Circle of Ancients

All I know is we love Carnival Games, and obviously so do alot of other people.

The Wii is a casual gamers system with a few hard-core gamer titles sprinkled in ... why is this so hard to understand?

• Minion

I think everyone understands that mediocrity always sells more when it comes to entertainment.

So why compare it to something else? Everytime the Wii is compared to the 360 or the PS3, people are going to buck against it. Honda Civics sell a whole lot more than ferrari's but so what? Stop comparing apples to oranges.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

It would be better to stop comparing outdated views of what digital gaming is. As I've said before, like it or not, the demographic has changed and a Wii is in the same category as a 360 or PS3. Heck, cell phones can be considered gaming devices now and can qualify.

As far as comparing a Civic to a Ferrari, how about a Camry besting an S-Class?

http://www.motortrend.com/features/a...7_toyota_camry

Motor Trend names redesigned Toyota Camry as 2007 Car of the Year
    This year's field of contenders for Car of the Year included:
    Chevrolet Aveo, Chrysler Sebring, Dodge Caliber, Honda Fit, Hyundai Elantra, Hyundai Entourage, Infiniti G35, Jaguar XK, Jeep Compass, Kia Optima, Kia Rondo, Kia Sedona, Lexus ES 350, Lexus LS 460, Mercedes Benz S-Class, Nissan Altima, Nissan Sentra, Nissan Versa, Porsche Cayman, Saturn Aura, Saturn Sky Redline, Suzuki SX4, Toyota Camry, Toyota Yaris, Volvo C70 T5, Volkswagen EOS, and Volkswagen Rabbit
    just because two different cars cost different and have different features, doesn't mean they both aren't cars.
    Last edited by justjohn; 10-11-2007 at 11:40 AM.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by justjohn View Post
    It would be better to stop comparing outdated views of what digital gaming is. As I've said before, like it or not, the demographic has changed and a Wii is in the same category as a 360 or PS3. Heck, cell phones can be considered gaming devices now and can qualify.

As far as comparing a Civic to a Ferrari, how about a Camry besting an S-Class?

http://www.motortrend.com/features/a...7_toyota_camry
    Silly isn't it? Yes a ferrari and a civic are both cars. Can they be compared? Absolutely not. Same goes for videogames IMO. If you do try to compare them, it gets nasty. Like when people say Pop music is better than jazz or classical.

They both share a common root, but that's it.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian View Post
    Silly isn't it? Yes a ferrari and a civic are both cars. Can they be compared? Absolutely not. Same goes for videogames IMO. If you do try to compare them, it gets nasty. Like when people say Pop music is better than jazz or classical.

Right, a Ferrari may cost more, but it sure as heck isn't as usable as a Civic. Have you ever tried taking home a bookcase from Ikea in a Ferrari? Murder I tell ya...
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by justjohn View Post
    Right, a Ferrari may cost more, but it sure as heck isn't as usable as a Civic. Have you ever tried taking home a bookcase from Ikea in a Ferrari? Murder I tell ya...
    Exactly, they can't be compared because they service completely different markets. To deny that they aren't different is silly. We hear all the time that Disneyland is "different" than other theme parks. Is Six Flags a theme park? Yes. Can the two be compared? Not really, they serve different markets.

• 'splosions

Exactly, they can't be compared because they service completely different markets. To deny that they aren't different is silly. We hear all the time that Disneyland is "different" than other theme parks. Is Six Flags a theme park? Yes. Can the two be compared? Not really, they serve different markets.
    but if they both follow a set standard of ethics, i'm talking service here, etc. shouldnt they both be held in the same market that way?

It's not as black and white as you're making it.

besides, the PS3 still has nothing good coming out til MGS4

Soon enough they'll have some more good ones out besides the cheap minigames.Twilight Princess, Elebits, and Metroid are enough to occupy me until then. There's going to be
    • Smash Bros.
    • Soul Caliber
    • Final Fantasy Crystal Bearers
    • I think they may be planning another Dragonquest
    • For any of you that remember and loved this acid trip game for the Sega Saturn, a new verson of Nights will be coming to the Wii soon.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I don't get it. I can totally compare two cars. Just like I can compare two video games.

And people who say pop music is better than jazz or classical are just stubborn. They absolutely have their right to prefer pop music, but it's certainly not better.

But if you ask me if I'd rather have a Ferrari or a Honda... and I can't sell either, I'd rather have the honda.

If you ask me if I'd rather have a wii, x-box 360, or ps3, I'd choose a wii. that's my preference. I'm not saying one is better than the other. It's just what suits me fine.

And I'm a Nintendo Loyalist.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Price is pretty much what drives the Wii, if you're the cheapest, you win.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    And people who say pop music is better than jazz or classical are just stubborn. They absolutely have their right to prefer pop music, but it's certainly not better.
    I absolutely disagree. Most professional musicians, educators, etc. would tell you something similar. There is a common ground that you judge both by. Pop music contains little to none of those core elements. Rather than get in a fight about it, you pass it off as another genre. As a musician, I can see why the Jazz etc. are better, but because the average person doesn't view music in the same light, it's futile to argue such a point. Which is why you agree to disagree and don't compare them at all.

If everything could be compared equally, there would be no need to have different categories.

But if you ask me if I'd rather have a Ferrari or a Honda... and I can't sell either, I'd rather have the honda.
    That makes no sense. They perform and are built for entirely different purposes. You do prove the point that mediocrity is usually more popular than the best of any given category though.

If you ask me if I'd rather have a wii, x-box 360, or ps3, I'd choose a wii. that's my preference. I'm not saying one is better than the other. It's just what suits me fine.
    Exactly, it's a preference. However, when we say that the Wii is selling more than other consoles, that gives the connotation that it's better. That's silly. The PS3 and the 360 are very similar. The Wii is basically a digital board game. It's literally apples and oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    Price is pretty much what drives the Wii, if you're the cheapest, you win.
    Not always. It's about appealing to the lowest common denominator. Dumb anything down enough and you win. True for music, cars, books, movies, and just about anything we consider entertainment. Only a few people have discerning tastes for certain things, so the money is to be made in mediocrity. The average person will take compromise over efficiency for a good price, and they'll take easy instead of challenging for a game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast