Thread: Call of Duty 4

• Circle of Ancients

Call of Duty 4

I got to play CoD4 at a friends house last night, and I must say I'm quite impressed. I've played previous versions on PC. And while I still prefer first person shooters on a PC more than consoles (the controls are easier for me) I have to say I was quite impressed.

Of course, the fact that I was playing on a HUGE 1080i TV probably made a slight difference as well.

Anybody else played this? What are your thoughts?

• no flash photography...

Re: Call of Duty 4

I played it. i suck. the control is not easy for me. I have trouble using two joy stick knobs just to make him move. My BF is really good at making the guy move though, so I know it's just me.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    I have trouble using two joy stick knobs just to make him move.
    This is why I can't stand Call of Duty. Most games allow you the option of adjusting controls to your preference, so one stick can be forward, backward, left and right. But this series for some reason limits you to driving your character like a tank, one forward and reverse and the other to turn, which I hate. Medal of Honor is much better.

• Disneyland is your land.

I wish I could play the COD4 but everyone is sold out!!! I picked up a copy of Assasin's Creed and it is one beautiful game. The controls are awesome and the graphics are insane....hopefully somebody gets a copy of COD4 though...I'd really like to pick that up.

Mass Effect is only a week away! Woooo!
    Class of 2005...

• Pilot EdForceOne

I don't understand why they haven't just released a key-pad and mouse for console games!!! FPSs suck with controllers... give us a mouse!
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I don't understand why they haven't just released a key-pad and mouse for console games!!! FPSs suck with controllers... give us a mouse!
    Totally agree, and this is why I continue to pretty much buy FPSs for the PC rather than any console that I have. Plus, not having a 360 or PS3, if I want to play online, not so easy on a PS2.

• Lonestar Louisianian

I am just about finished with the single player campaign on CoD4. It has really been fun! The game looks absolutely amazing. Playing on a PC I've no problem with control but I can understand how hard it might be for consoles.
    If you've played previous versions the gameplay is pretty much the same. However with the Modern Warfare angle you get to play with different weapons. There's a couple of levels where you are not running around in FPS but are manning the gun in a copter or gunship. These levels offer a relaxing change of pace and help keep the game from becoming stale.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Totally agree, and this is why I continue to pretty much buy FPSs for the PC rather than any console that I have. Plus, not having a 360 or PS3, if I want to play online, not so easy on a PS2.
    I'm getting better.. and the slower pace of WWII games makes it easier for instance on Medal of Honor.. (totally rocks) but in a game like a HL2.. I don't know how you could even come close to the responsivness you get with a mouse for look control.

The two joystick thing sounds aweful and I'm worried.. may keep me from buying COD4

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Circle of Ancients

^ I was getting used to it by the time I was done, and I only played for maybe 30-45 minutes.

I really don't think the adaptation time of playing FPSs on a console is that big. The general properties are there still.

• Pilot EdForceOne

The difference is the analog controllers simply don't have enough range of motion and do not have the snap response that a mouse has.

With a mouse you don't hold sideways to keep panning you just move the mouse and when you stop moving the mouse it instantly stops moving. A analog stick does not immediately stop.. it feather stops as the controller must return to center to register 'do not move'. This lack of 'snap stop' is huge in a fast pace shooter.

Plus the low range of motion means you must use greater resolution and finer movements.. (which also makes accerlation use harder) surely a skill thing, but makes it harder to control vs with a mouse where you can use larger movements.

The last point is what makes using the analog stick 'click' hard for me as a control button (on the 360's controller). You need to act like a butterfly on the sticks.. but then when you need to click it you need to be forceful. Many scroll wheel mice have this problem too, where the click on the wheel is too stiff meaning you end up moving the wheel to click the button.

But I still have bioshock to play... (trying to finish MoH on expert now) so that should keep me busy

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

If you want to use a mouse, Splitfish makes the FragFX for the PS3. Its a split controller with a mouse acting as the right stick and buttons and a half six axis for the left. No keyboard, but at least you have the mouse.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring