• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Need Help with Custom Scenery

Hello. Awhile back ago I tried downloading custom scenery for RCT3, but once I downloaded it I had trouble getting it in the right folders etc. Once I went on the game I saw the folder with all the custom art, but whenever I tried placing something or just opening the folder. The game would shut down.

If anyone can help me out with what I am doing wrong and step by step process. That would be great!

also. I forgot where the Custom Scenery is and if anyone has any links for custom scenery. It would be greatly appreciated.

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Re: Need Help with Custom Scenery

Quote Originally Posted by KrItTeR View Post
    Hello. Awhile back ago I tried downloading custom scenery for RCT3, but once I downloaded it I had trouble getting it in the right folders etc. Once I went on the game I saw the folder with all the custom art, but whenever I tried placing something or just opening the folder. The game would shut down.

If anyone can help me out with what I am doing wrong and step by step process. That would be great!

also. I forgot where the Custom Scenery is and if anyone has any links for custom scenery. It would be greatly appreciated.

When you save the files.. make sure they are in C/programfiles/atari/rct3/style/themed

once it is there, open up the file and make sure that there is no other file inside of it with the same name, if so, drag that file to 'themed' and delete the original one.

If the game finds that same file anywhere else in the game folders, it will shut down.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

thank you very much!

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

I can't find the folder...

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

go to:

mycomputer/C:/ProgramFiles/Atari/Rollercoastertycoon3/style/themed

and place it there.

Check and read every file to make sure you didn't by pass it

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

OK. So I saved it in the themed folder. Am I supposed to take the objects out of the folder and put them by the theme named folders or do I just keep the folder with all of the Custom scenery in it?

Where do I find the scenery in the game?

• Down Pluto!

You keep the folder the way it is. Unless there is a sub folder of the same name - then only move the sub folder there.

The structure should be the main new theme folder in the \style\themed folder - and the new theme folder in its root should not contain another folder of the same name, it should only have folders of the objects and several .ovl files.

There are some scenery packs that when you unzip them have a folder that contains what you need - and some have just the folders and files you need.

For example: an imaginary scenery pack called cool scenery is down loaded and unzipped.

If it is just a folder labeled cool scenery, and inside contains a folder named cool scenery that itself has sub folders and some xxxx.ovl files. The folder that gets copied into the \style\themed folder must contain only the scenery subfolders and .ovl files - you only need the inside folder - not the additional one that it was wrapped in. This hangs up many people.

For an example of how the scenery folders are supposed to look, see the structure of the other scenery folders.

To find them in the game - they appear in the scenery "themes" along with all the others. Check in the Walls, the trees&shrubs, the path items, and misc scenery. there can be new items in any of those places from a new scenery pack.
    Last edited by Sambo; 11-19-2007 at 11:13 PM.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Thanks Sambo. I'm new to the whole Custom Scenery shin dig. So I may ask alot of questions.