Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rock Band

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Re: Rock Band

Well, shame on Sony as well for not holding a standard to their controllers.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Well, there's a debate going on about why the Guitar Hero III controllers don't work with the PS3 version of Rock Band... and it has nothing to do with Microsoft.

The GH controllers WERE supposed to be compatible with Rock Band (hell, it was pretty much advertised by Harmonix as such since the game was first announced) on all three formats (360, PS3, and the PS2)... Harmonix says that Sony has the patch already to make the GHIII controllers compatible. Activision says that Harmonix didn't want to pay a licensing fee and that actually Harmonix is holding the patch up. It's a game of "he said, she said" right now.

Added to the fact that you can't use the PS2 controllers at all as well (even with an PS2/PS3 adapter, which then adds considerable amounts of lag)... it sucks. I don't know if the GHII PS2 controllers work out of the box on the PS2 version of Rock Band... I would say it probably does since it's a standard controller.

My thoughts? Activision is probably the one at fault here. Harmonix knows that there are plenty of Guitar Hero controllers out there and will do everything that they can to make it compatible (hence their announcement that they will be since the original game announcement)... Activision will do anything to try to block the momentum that Rock Band has right now (more positive press about Rock Band then there has been about Guitar Hero III)... the XBox controllers just work straight out of the box, probably no way Activision could have blocked that, it's just sad that Sony has probably some weird controller scheme for the PS3 that required a firmware system patch by them to be pushed out to make it work. Harmonix probably didn't expect Activision to have the clout with Sony to block it. That's what I think.

... and yah, Rock Band is hella cool and fun to play. Especially drunk.
    Last edited by Burnt Toast; 01-04-2008 at 10:02 PM.
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Harmonix: Activision squashes Rock Band patch

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/puzzle/r...83944&mode=all

Activision: It's Harmonix's fault

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/puzzle/r...84016&mode=all
    Burnt Toast

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Toast View Post
    Well, there's a debate going on about why the Guitar Hero III controllers don't work with the PS3 version of Rock Band... and it has nothing to do with Microsoft.
    Then why is this battle ONLY on the PS3 and why isn't activision trying to do the same thing on the 360? Its likely because they CAN'T - so the irony is the 'iron fist' of Microsoft forcing vendors to have a baseline - is actually helping the customers.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Then why is this battle ONLY on the PS3 and why isn't activision trying to do the same thing on the 360? Its likely because they CAN'T - so the irony is the 'iron fist' of Microsoft forcing vendors to have a baseline - is actually helping the customers.
    Exactly... 360 controllers are standard USB because they also have to be compatible with Windows. I can plug in a wired XBox 360 controller to my computer and it works (well, with Vista it requires a driver download). I can also plug in the XBox Live Vision camera and it works with Windows... plug-in accessories for the 360 were designed to work with the PC as well because the 360 is so similar to regular PC hardware architecture. That's just a good thing period.

Funny thing is, the PS3 wired controllers are also standard USB as well... so why don't they work? The fault probably lies with Sony as well, probably having some weird hardware architecture scheme with their console.
    Burnt Toast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12