Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Scammer beware. Facts on how to keep your stuff safe!

Definition: A confidence game or other fraudulent scheme, esp. for making a quick profit; swindle.

From the 12/18/06 Newsletter:
    "If you are in a trade with someone and they say they have entered furniture in but it remains invisible due to a bug – DO NOT believe them. This is a scam, and you should report them!"
    From The 12/9/07 Newsletter:
    Protect Your Personal Info!
    VMK Staff will never ask you for your password or initiate contact with a player outside of the game, so don't respond to any individual posing as a VMK Staff member in e-mail or on a message board.
    Many times scammers posing as VMK Staff will promise special access or an invitation to a special program in exchange for a player's login information. Be smart and don't fall prey to these foul villains! VMK will only contact you if you've sent in an inquiry through Contact Us.
    We take scamming very seriously, and anyone caught attempting to scam a player through impersonation of a VMK Staff member in order to exploit a player will have all their accounts banned permanently from VMK.

Scamming = Theft!
    Scamming is equal to theft and a violation of the VMK Values. If you scam someone in VMK, this will lead to your account being automatically and permanently banned. Having your parents send in a request using Contact Us to get your account re-activated won't work, because if you can't play by the rules and follow the VMK Values, we don't want you in the game.
    Don't let yourself get scammed. As the old saying goes, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Don't "loan" your stuff and if a room owner refuses to show you their "Cute or Boot" prize or rare item, or you feel they don't really have the prize, leave the room. There are lots of other games to play and things to do in VMK!

Typical Scams
    • "Invisible Furniture" entered in trade.
    • Code that gives you an item, only if you don't have it, thus tricking you to trade your item away
    • Other party's item taken out right before you click "Accept"
    • Third party website asking for your log-in & password, saying they will give you codes for your account
    • When trading codes, code given to you is fake
    • Someone asking you to "borrow" your items
    • Scammer saying that a pin that isn't rare is a rare pin in disguise
    • When trading more than 15 items (trade limit), other party waits until most of your things are traded, and leaves without giving you your item
    • Staff Impersonation
    Scam Preventions

• Your password is for YOU to know, and no one to find out
    • Don't trust anyone you don't know in real life
    • If the trade is too good to be true, it probably is.. DONT TAKE IT!!
    • Example: You trading: 50K credits. Their offer: stitch, Minnie, inferno
    • If they try to force you to do it. Don't
    • Example: Aww come on I'm your friend.. Please!
    • If they are your friend.. Watch, They may not be a "True" friend
    • When your trading.. and press accept, make sure all the items are there.
    • KEEP YOUR INFORMATION SAFE!!!
    • Don't tell anyone your password/username. Even From your Best Friend!
    • Beware of "Free Rooms".
    • Beware of Staff Impersonation
    • MAKE SURE your kiosk is blocked off If your making it for a trade room purpose.
    • When trading with credits, I would advise you NOT TO
    • If you are trading credits, make sure its blocked off for other people.
    If You're Scammed
    • Contact VMK via the 'Help' button
    • Contact VMK via 'Contact Us'
    • If you remember the scammer's name, report them

Quotes:

See The Following People's Quotes Below
    • WDWGirl - Describes Being Ripped Off and Satisfying trades
    • Marebear0620 -Describes The "Can I Borrow This?" Trick
    • WDWGirl's Response To Marebear0620's Post. -Concluding That friends may betray You.
    A NOTE FROM WDWGirl:

Quote Originally Posted by WDWGirl View Post
    Great tips - it's true that people will try to scam you by forcing you to trade. It's very common to hear, "Oh come on, please please" about a million times until you're persuaded into trading, but think about it. Any trade is fair if both parties are happy, and if you're not happy about the trade, then it's not very fair, is it? If you think you're gonna regret a trade, you probably will, so it's best to just leave the trade window and back away from the situation. I've made many trades in my time as a VMK player, and I've been satisfied with about 90% of them. I always try to make sure that neither party is being completely ripped off, but there are alot of scammers out there, and probably every 1 of 4 trades has a scammer involved of the trades I've ( almost ) had. You just gotta watch out and be careful.
    A NOTE FROM Marebear0620:
    Quote Originally Posted by marebear0620 View Post
    Another way to prevent a scam is to avoid the old:

"Can I borrow this?" trick. At least 80% of the times they will [if they are your friend] take the item, delete you, then run off to wherever they go to. Or if they aren't your friend they will probably disappear or say "dc" then leave, etc. If someone asks you that question say No!

EXAMPLE:
    I had fallen for this trick when I was playing the game for probably... 6 months? Or whenever tron month was because tron was for sale and I got scammed for a princess tiara.

(off topic: When was tron month?)
    WDWGirls's Response:
    Another side note on this:
    This is very true! People try to "borrow" items, and then run off with them! Lately I've heard rumors that to keep themselves from being banned for stealing, they'll steal items on a mule account and transfer them to a main account - so the next time you see them, you won't know because their title will be different! Sneaky, huh? The things people do to steal VIRTUAL items...
    Beware of scammers.. They attack without notice. Try to protect your stuff by the information i told you above.

Hope this helps prevent scams.
    Sleepy

** Note. The things I added Will Be in BOLD and the things i took out will be in STRIKE In peoples threads "Quotes" Rather its being off topic or I'm adding something **
    Last edited by Cold_Summers; 12-19-2007 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Tips Added. Bolded. More added

• Minion

Re: Scammer beware. Facts on how to keep your stuff safe!

Thx Sleepy, That Was Very Helpful!

• Minion

Np flame. Hope this helps not getting scammed

• Ding! Fries are done!

Great facts!

• Disney Dreams

Great tips - it's true that people will try to scam you by forcing you to trade. It's very common to hear, "Oh come on, please please" about a million times until you're persuaded into trading, but think about it. Any trade is fair if both parties are happy, and if you're not happy about the trade, then it's not very fair, is it? If you think you're gonna regret a trade, you probably will, so it's best to just leave the trade window and back away from the situation. I've made many trades in my time as a VMK player, and I've been satisified with about 90% of them. I always try to make sure that neither party is being completely ripped off, but there are alot of scammers out there, and probably every 1 of 4 trades has a scammer involved of the trades I've ( almost ) had. You just gotta watch out and be careful.

• Release the Magic in you!

Thank you For the Tips Guys!
    VMK was a good memory, won't be forgotten. But just because a games gone does not mean I am

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by 4455356 View Post
    Thank you For the Tips Guys!
    Great tips - it's true that people will try to scam you by forcing you to trade. It's very common to hear, "Oh come on, please please" about a million times until you're persuaded into trading, but think about it. Any trade is fair if both parties are happy, and if you're not happy about the trade, then it's not very fair, is it? If you think you're gonna regret a trade, you probably will, so it's best to just leave the trade window and back away from the situation. I've made many trades in my time as a VMK player, and I've been satisified with about 90% of them. I always try to make sure that neither party is being completely ripped off, but there are alot of scammers out there, and probably every 1 of 4 trades has a scammer involved of the trades I've ( almost ) had. You just gotta watch out and be careful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonwatcher04 View Post
    Great facts!
    Hope it helps

Also thanks for the tips WDWGirl

• Minion

Smile Re: Scammer beware. Facts on how to keep your stuff safe!

Bump.

• Disney Dreams

Wow. Thanks for posting my tips! And thanks for posting your own - their all great!

• Minion

Wow. Thanks for posting my tips! And thanks for posting your own - their all great!
    Yup I hope you dont mind. If you do i will be happy enough to take them away

Like i said, I hope this prevents scams, And prevent your stuff being stolen!
    Have a great day,
    Sleepy

• Minion

>>>>>>>>>>>>>...bump

• Minion

Bump ^^

• marebear_marebear

"Can I borrow this?" trick. At least 80% of the times they will [if they are your friend] take the item, delete you, then run off to wherever they go to. Or if they aren't your friend they will probably disappear or say "dc" then leave, etc. If someone asks you that question say No!

I had fallen for this trick when I was playing the game for probably... 6 months? Or whenever tron month was because tron was for sale and I got scammed for a princess tiara.

• Disney Dreams

This is very true! People try to "borrow" items, and then run off with them! Lately I've heard rumors that to keep themselves from being banned for stealing, they'll steal items on a mule account and transfer them to a main account - so the next time you see them, you won't know because their title will be different! Sneaky, huh? The things people do to steal VIRTUAL items...

• Minion

That is very true.. Its sad seeing FRIENDS Betray You.
    And sorry Lol i have to laugh about the virtual items..

Great thought!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast