Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

PS3's are EVERYWHERE

Went and did some holiday shopping this morning (Best Buy, Circuit City and Target) and each store had a plethora of PS3's.

From what I have seen, most were the new $399 version with no backwards compatability for the PS2. Yet of course there were no Wii's and most everybody was looking at the 360's.

Also, the Rock-Band for the 360's were all gone, but the PS3 versions had TONS left.

I know for me personally, I would NEVER buy a PS3 with no backwards compatability.

I find it funny, that this version of the PS3 is still the least expensive Blu-Ray player, but I don't think non-gamers are looking at it that way.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: PS3's are EVERYWHERE

The lack of backward capacity may make the PS3 an unpopular albatross to the retail industry - and represent some major profit loss. The manufacturers made a bad call in the design.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

People expect to buy something with a "PlayStation" name to play games on it.

Way to build up a brand name that's recognizable and then ruin it by trying to make it stand for something else.
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I know for me personally, I would NEVER buy a PS3 with no backwards compatability.
    I probably would not have bought mine if it didn't have backwards compatibility. However, I never owned a Ps2 to begin with, and if I had a Ps2 already I may have bought a Ps3 because I have an HDTV and wanted a Hi-Def media player.

Sales of the Ps3 have doubled since the price drop (and even with no backwards compatibility), Xbox360s are everywhere just the same as the Ps3, and the Wii is being kept artificially scarce by Nintendo (and some sneaky retailers). (I'd really rather not support Microsoft, either, lol)

It will be interesting to see what happens this holiday season, won't it?
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Circle of Ancients

^ I have a PS2, but the point of a PS3 would be (for me) as an upgraded 'replacement' to the PS2. I've already got all my A/V jacks taken, why do I need to waste two on 2 playstations?

• Earth Intruder

^ I have a PS2, but the point of a PS3 would be (for me) as an upgraded 'replacement' to the PS2. I've already got all my A/V jacks taken, why do I need to waste two on 2 playstations?
    You don't... and I wouldn't right now anyway until I had a HDTV, or there are more games you want on the Ps3
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    The lack of backward capacity may make the PS3 an unpopular albatross to the retail industry - and represent some major profit loss. The manufacturers made a bad call in the design.
    Ya because you know how great the 360 is with that. Not everybody can connect to the net to download the patches (if the xbox game even HAS a patch that is). When I sell these things I ask people if they have any PS2 games and a good amount of them do not or do not plan on playing the PS2 games anylonger so its not that big of an issue as you may want it to be. You may call it a bad call, but these things are flying out the door like crazy.... looks like a GREAT call to me (but what do I know, I only work in an electronics store).

And for Sir Clink... where do you live because all around here EVERY store I have checksed ran out of PS3 RB and still have plenty of 360 RB sitting there. I know in my store we still had over 50 of the 360 RB.

And we also have a pletora of Halo edition 360s (that nobody wants), arcade 360s, and premium 360s. The only thing we do not have is the black 360s for some reason we have not got a restock for well over a month. Heck, the Halo edition 360s are moving so slow we stocked them WAY up above the registers so you can see them no matter were you are in the store in hopes people would see them and actually BUY them lol (not working BTW).

But i htink you saw them all over the place because they were in all the maor stores holiday ad and it is a new SKU and Sony can actually stock the stores with systems (unlike Nintendo and Microsoft on the 360 launch).

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDude View Post
    And we also have a pletora of Halo edition 360s (that nobody wants), arcade 360s, and premium 360s. The only thing we do not have is the black 360s for some reason we have not got a restock for well over a month. Heck, the Halo edition 360s are moving so slow we stocked them WAY up above the registers so you can see them no matter were you are in the store in hopes people would see them and actually BUY them lol (not working BTW).
    It seems like the only thing people want less than the 360 is the PS3, though...

Novembers NPD hardware numbers

Nintendo DS - 1.53 million
    Nintendo Wii - 981,000
    Xbox 360 - 770,000
    PlayStation Portable - 567,000
    PlayStation 2 - 496,000
    PlayStation 3 - 466,000

http://kotaku.com/gaming/npd/novembe...-ds-333812.php

Actually, if you add them up, The DS outsold all of Sony combined by 1000 units...
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Circle of Ancients

Again, I still can't see how selling 500,000 of an older system (PS2) can POSSIBLY help Sony in the long-run.

It's going to keep the demand for games released on the PS3 to also be released on the PS2.

If Sony TRULY wants everybody to believe that the PS3 is the wave of the future, they need to stop supporting the PS2. You don't see Microsoft and Nintendo repackaging the Xbox and GameCube and selling newer games on them.

That's my main thing with the PS3. I'm not getting the vibe from Sony that THEY are sold on it.

Granted, some newer 3rd party games are still available on the GC, but that's few and far between.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDude View Post
    Not everybody can connect to the net to download the patches (if the xbox game even HAS a patch that is).
    However, one major credit towards the Xbox 1.0, is that it never had much of a presence in the marketplace. So that rare Xbox game you've got laying around may work. Oh, and over half the origional Xbox games now work on the 360. And they are STILL doing updates to make more classic games work.

Unlike the PS2, where they are STILL making games for it. In fact, I bought a couple of new PS2 games this year (Buzz!, and Thrillville). I would have bought a PS3 for Buzz!, but I didn't have to. I still want an excuse to buy one, and I have yet to find one. FYI: Scene It! was my excuse to buy a 360, and the fact that it's a Media Center Extender.

Yes, there are lots of 360 SKUs. However, you can always 'upgrade' a lower SKU to a better one. However, this is not the case with the PS3. Yes, you can upgrade the hard drive. However, that's it. Can't add back in BC to the 40GB, nor the card reader.

Add the Wii beast in (one SKU that comes with a good time-wasting game), and has a unique angle to it.

I just don't see what a PS3 can bring me with my PS2-Wii-360 combination. Yes, Blu-Ray is an option. However, I never watch that many movies as it is (maybe 1 a week), so DVD is fine for me for now.
    -Monorail Man

• Mischievous Mouse

If Sony TRULY wants everybody to believe that the PS3 is the wave of the future, they need to stop supporting the PS2. You don't see Microsoft and Nintendo repackaging the Xbox and GameCube and selling newer games on them.
    This is why I continue to support Sony, they don't play the "planned obsolescence game" like the other chumps do. Screw MS and Ninetendo!
    I will boycott every friggin' Sony product if they cave in to the status quo of gaming! VHS ran it's course, but how would you feel if tomorro they stopped releasing dvd's on anything but BluRay and HDDVD. I'd be pissed off. Let's not forget the customer who feed them.

Sony is the only one with the class and the customer care to continue to support recent past products. I take my hat off to them!!

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer's Apprentice View Post
    Sony is the only one with the class and the customer care to continue to support recent past products. I take my hat off to them!!
    However, one thing you are forgetting, is that the GC and Xbox 1 didn't have the marketshare like the PS2 did. So, it didn't hurt MS/Nin to drop them. However, all Sony needs to do, is show us WHY to buy a PS3.

I've been waiting for the Killer Casual/Party Game that makes me want to buy a PS3. For the Wii, it was Wii Sports, and for the 360, it was the Arcade, and Scene It!. It could have been Buzz!, but all Sony did was port over the game from the UK, and remove the UK questions (not knocking it, still love Buzz!). If a version of Buzz! comes out for the PS3, then I'm sold.
    -Monorail Man

• BATTLE COMBINER!

They bare everywhere because they are failures, and none are being bought, because they suck.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by Inanimate View Post
    They bare everywhere because they are failures, and none are being bought, because they suck.
    You're sort of wrong on all counts there, but whatever.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man View Post
    However, all Sony needs to do, is show us WHY to buy a PS3.
    Exactly.

The ONLY thing the PS3 has to offer over the PS2 right now is Blu-Ray and a couple of games. THAT'S IT!!

So if your not in the market for a Blu-Ray DVD player right now (most people) and you have a PS2 (most people who would want a PS3) then the PS3 does you absolutely no good until some good PS3 exclusive games come out.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast