Want to take a guess as to which one?
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• no flash photography...

Re: So my console just bricked...

Ps3?

but if it was the xbox 360 they can be fixed.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    Ps3?

but if it was the xbox 360 they can be fixed.
    Ding! Ding! Ding!
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Senior Minion

I used to love the PlayStation, but now with the crappiness of the PS3 I'm getting an Xbox.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

So now this thread is going in a new direction. I just called in a repair order for the PS3 and for my 360. The 360 is has been having an issue with the disc tray not opening and a hard drive error as well.

The CS rep for MS was definitely from offshore, but his English was excellent. They had me jump through some hoops with plugging and unplugging the console, booting it without the hard drive and manually ejecting the disc with a poker. My only complaint was that the guy didn't do a real good job of telling me where to put the poker to turn the eject gear. I ended up looking it up online and getting to a MS service bulletin that showed me how to do it.

The funniest thing was he asked me if I wanted to leave the repair order on hold and just use the poker to manually eject the disc and not use the hard drive anymore. I went ahead and passed on that option.

He then finished processing the work order and confirmed box was going to be sent for the console. it should take about 3-4 days to ship and 3-4 weeks to get the console back and I should not be charged for any service. He also gave me a free month of XBox Live that will start when I get the system back.

Now for the PS3. The console just stopped working. When you push the power up button, it immediately shuts down like a circuit popped.

I called into Sony and waited on hold for a few minutes before getting hold of somebody that was obviously from the US. He was pretty easy to deal with. He asked for the serial number and if I could get him a copy of the receipt or the credit card statement that has the name of an appropriate store and price. He said the box should ship in a couple of days and the repair would take about 2 weeks. He didn't know exactly what I should ship back, but said the box would tell me what to do.

Microsoft wanted no cables, hard drive or controllers. They did want it to ship with the stock faceplate though.

So now the waiting game is on. Work order were called in at the relatively same time and now we wait to see who gets the work done first.

BTW, I need to remember to dust the PS3 off so I won't have to worry about the safety of the techs...

Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Earth Intruder

Ewwwwww I'm sorry to hear that your systems have gotten fracked Hopefully they'll both be fixed soon. Did they have any idea what it was? Also curious how often you use the systems? I use my Ps3 every day (for DVD/Bluray playback, if not Ps2 games) and I've had no problems (knock on wood).

It is amazing tho with electronics these days -- they just have gotten SO complex that they have that many more things that can go wrong with them.

Take televisions, for instance. I purchased a Samsung LED-DLP set and am now on the THIRD television (the first two had to be completely replaced.... yes, I've had 3 of the same TVs in four months). And this is for a GOOD brand (my current set works great, also knock on wood).

I've had a Phillips Magnavox set that was my primary TV for many many years and is now in my room. I bought it in 1995 and it works PERFECTLY to this day. I do not expect the same out of the Samsung.

For game systems, there's all this bricking and malfunctions for a good amount of Xboxes and Ps3s. At my parents, we have an Atari 2600, a NES and a SNES. All of which work PERFECTLY to this day, and they were used VERY often (obviously, not as much now, but they still work fine). Just strikes me as odd.

Should we just expect stuff to break these days? Should we be surprised if these things DON'T break? Frankly, I'm at that point right now.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Disneyland is your land.

So I've hit the year mark with my 360....I guess I should consider myself lucky it hasn't bricked, broke, or burst into flames!!! Woot. Woot!
    Class of 2005...

• Senior Minion

I think that just made my decision too get a Wii.
    I've been through 2 PS2's and very happy with that console. Great system.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

My Bf is buying broken xbox 360's and fixing them. We now have 3, but the one I bought was brand new. So far so good, but we've only had it about a month.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog View Post
    Ewwwwww I'm sorry to hear that your systems have gotten fracked Hopefully they'll both be fixed soon. Did they have any idea what it was? Also curious how often you use the systems? I use my Ps3 every day (for DVD/Bluray playback, if not Ps2 games) and I've had no problems (knock on wood).
    I have no idea what happened with the thing. It just stopped working. The 360 get used pretty often, but I've honestly only used the PS3 as a game console for the last week. Otherwise, its a DVD player about twice a week.

Take televisions, for instance. I purchased a Samsung LED-DLP set and am now on the THIRD television (the first two had to be completely replaced.... yes, I've had 3 of the same TVs in four months). And this is for a GOOD brand (my current set works great, also knock on wood).
    I had to replace my Olevia LCD after the first week, it wouldn't stay on either.

For game systems, there's all this bricking and malfunctions for a good amount of Xboxes and Ps3s. At my parents, we have an Atari 2600, a NES and a SNES. All of which work PERFECTLY to this day, and they were used VERY often (obviously, not as much now, but they still work fine). Just strikes me as odd.
    At this point, I'm crossing my fingers that the Wii doesn't go out...

I received a confirmation for the PS3 repair at 11:30 last night. Nothing from MS yet.

Sony sends a link to a service guide. Here it is...

PLEASE ATTACH YOUR
    PROOF OF PURCHASE HERE

Sony Computer Entertainment America Consumer Service Product Service Guide

Sony Computer Entertainment America, Inc.(SCEA) would like to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced with your PLAYSTATION® 3 computer entertainment system. The following information is being provided to you to ensure proper handling and processing of your PLAYSTATION® 3 system. Please read it carefully and completely.
    • A copy of this guide will arrive in the advanced shipping box SCEA is sending. Securely tape only the completed first page to your system before packaging for shipping(1).
    • Please print a copy for your own records.
    • Follow the Proof of Purchase guidelines below.
    *** IF YOUR SYSTEM IS IN-WARRANTY, PLEASE ATTACH YOUR RECEIPT/PROOF OF PURCHASE TO THIS TOP SHEET BEFORE MAILING ***

1. Do NOT send the original store receipt. Keep the original and send us the photocopy. For In-Warranty Exchange(2), we accept the PLAYSTATION® 3 system itemized, the price, and a valid purchase date clearly printed. Hand-written receipts are not acceptable.
    2. If SCEA Consumer Service has approved you to submit anything else as a valid form of proof of purchase, then please attach that item as described by Consumer Service.
    IMPORTANT: In order for us to honor our In-Warranty Exchange offer, we must receive a valid Proof of Purchase along with your PLAYSTATION® 3 system. If we do not receive a valid Proof of Purchase or it is missing from your package, Consumer Service will contact you to obtain this information.
    In order to qualify for this offer, you must be the original purchaser of this product and have complied with all of the requirements and instructions from SCEA Consumer Service. This product service that is being offered is not meant for retailers, or meant for retailers who are acting on consumer’s behalf. Lastly, the authorized SCEA product service staff will make the final decision on warranty or product support (2).
    PERSONAL INFORMATION SECTION: (Please fill completely and clearly)
    Service Request Number: (1 - XXXXXXXX:______________________________________
    (Note: This is a 9 to 10 digit number, beginning with 1 -, and can be found in our original email correspondence.)
    Please reference this number to our agents if you need to contact us regarding this In-Warranty Exchange offer.
    Full Name: __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Primary phone: ( ____) ______________________ Secondary phone: ( ____) ________________________
    Console Serial #: __________________________________________________ ________________________
    (On the barcode sticker labeled "SERIAL”. Write all numbers & letters)
    Product issue/symptom observed:_________________________________________ ___________________
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________________
    Is any software media stuck inside the system? Yes / No (circle one)
    If Yes, what specific media is in the system (e.g., name of game)? _______________________________
    If you have additional questions and would like to contact us: For email, please visit: http://www.us.playstation.com/contactus.aspx?id=select
    Please visit our PlayStation Knowledge Center for updated frequently asked questions: http://www.us.playstation.com/Support
    PHONE SUPPORT: 800-345-7669 (SONY)
    HOURS OF OPERATION: MONDAY THROUGH SATURDAY, 6:00 A.M. TO 8:00 P.M.,
    SUNDAY 7:00 A.M. TO 6:30 P.M., PACIFIC TIME.
    For information on our Privacy Policy please visit
    http://www.us.playstation.com/support.aspx?id=privacypolicy.
    An estimate as required (Section 9844 of the California Business and Professions Code) for repairs shall be given to the customer by the service dealer in writing, and the service dealer may not charge for work done or parts supplied in excess of the estimate without prior consent of the customer. Where provided in writing, the service dealer may charge a reasonable fee for services provided in determining the nature of the malfunction in preparation of a written estimate of repair. For information contact the Bureau of Electronics and Appliance Repair, Department of Consumer Affairs, Sacramento 95814.

WHAT ITEMS TO SEND

Include the following six (6) items inside your pre-paid shipping box:
    1. PLAYSTATION® 3 system
    2. Wireless Controller (SIXAXIS™)
    3. USB Cable to connect SIXAXIS controller (originally included with purchase)
    4. AC Power Cord
    5. AV Cable(originally included with purchase)
    6. Ethernet Cable (originally included with purchase)
    IMPORTANT: Only send the six (6) items listed above. Do NOT send any promotional items (i.e., Blu-Ray disc movie, media storage cards, etc.) that may have been included with your original purchase of the PlayStation 3 system. You may not get these items back.
    SCEA is not responsible for any other item(s) you send to us that is not requested by SCEA, and will be unable to research lost or missing items that are sent to us in error.
    Do NOT include the following unless you are specifically instructed to do so by an SCEA Consumer Services agent.

HOW TO PACK YOUR ITEMS

- SCEA will provide a pre-paid shipping box to you. This box will arrive at the mailing address you provided during your phone call with Consumer Services. - You will receive the following items inside the pre-paid shipping box: 1. Prepaid Courier Shipping Label.
    2. A letter with detailed instructions on how to pack and return your system.
    3. A copy of these instructions.
    - Carefully follow the enclosed instructions and pack only the listed items inside the box. - Make sure to include the top completed page of this letter, securely taped to your console. - Securely attach the prepaid shipping label to the outside of the box. ADDITIONAL SUPPORT INFORMATION / FOOTNOTES:
    (1) (1) IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT WE RECEIVE THE TOP COPY OF THIS LETTER WITH YOUR CONSOLE. IF YOU DO NOT INCLUDE A COMPLETED COPY OF THIS LETTER, IT MAY AFFECT OUR ABILITY TO SHIP THE CONSOLE TO YOU.
    (2) (2) FOR IN-WARRANTY: ANY ISSUE WITH YOUR SYSTEM THAT IS CAUSED BY PHYSICAL ABUSE, NEGLECT, ACCIDENT, EXCESSIVE WEAR AND TEAR, MISUSE, MODIFICATION NOT PERFORMED BY SONY, OR COSMETIC ALTERATION VOIDS OUR WARRANTY AND YOUR SYSTEM WILL NOT QUALIFY FOR IN-WARRANTY OFFER. IN ADDITION, ANY COSMETIC ALTERATION, TAMPERING, REMOVAL, CUTTING, OR DEFACING OF THE CONSOLE’S SERIAL NUMBER LABEL, OR THE WARRANTY SEAL, WILL ALSO VOID THIS OFFER. FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
    Q. How long will this exchange process take?
    A. Turn around time for all exchanges is approximately 3 to 5 business days from the time we receive the products, including shipping and handling time, as long as there are no exceptions. Please check with SCEA Consumer Services for information on specific turn around times as they may vary throughout the year.
    Q. How do I protect my personal information that is in my Network Platform account and, or on the HDD? A. For the security of your personal information, before you send in your unit for service, please do the following:
    • Back up all data from the HDD that you wish to save.
    • Restore “PS3™ System “ (Found in: Settings<System Settings< Restore PS3™ System)
    Q. How do I check the status of this exchange process?
    A. Please check for status on the Web: http://www.us.playstation.com/repairstatus.aspx, or at 1-800-345-7669.
    Q. Will I receive a new warranty with my replacement console?
    A. Your replacement system will come with a 90-day limited warranty. Please note that the original limited warranty that came with your brand new product covered a period of 1 year. The warranty coverage on your replacement system will be the greater of your new 90-day limited warranty or the remainder of your original 1-year limited warranty
    Q. What happens if I provide my proof of purchase but my product is still determined to be out of warranty by the Service staff?
    A. A member of our staff will contact you either by email* or by phone to inform you regarding the out-of-warranty status of your product, and request to speak to you about payment** options. Your out-of-warranty payment options will include: 1) exchange of your product, or, 2) repair of your product; both options may require applicable state tax, and we can gather payment from you over the phone if you wish to proceed. If you decide to decline the out-of-warranty service options, SCEA will return your product to you without performing any work or service.
    Q. What if I am not able to contact Consumer Service for this follow up?
    A. Your product will not be serviced and it will be returned to you after ten (10) business days from our original contact attempt (either by phone or email).
    *Please note that SCEA is not responsible for any emails that are not received due to your SPAM/Bulk-Mail filters. **We accept all major debit/check cards and credit cards, including MasterCard, Visa, Discover, and American Express.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Pilot EdForceOne

I wonder if vendors are required to report back serial numbers sold to Nintendo - or if they only do it for their own tracking. Because that is the nice thing NOA does - none of this 'proof of purchase stuff' they base it purely based on your serial number. Presumably in a very close time situation you may use a proof of purchase to validate dates, but never seen that situation yet.

I think they basically just use the model that Hard Drive vendors use as well - some method based on when the unit was manufactured as the baseline + some fudge factor.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Pilot EdForceOne

It is amazing tho with electronics these days -- they just have gotten SO complex that they have that many more things that can go wrong with them.
    Well remember.. there WAS a full industry around repairing TVs and VCRs for decades.

Well Samsung is mainstream.. 'good' is objectionable They are certainly a mainstream B-class consumer provider. Certainly not some no-name knockoff.

I've had a Phillips Magnavox set that was my primary TV for many many years and is now in my room. I bought it in 1995 and it works PERFECTLY to this day.
    The guts of CRTs are mostly analog electronics with few mechanical parts that as long as the electronic components themselves don't fail (capacitors, the dialetrics, etc) they tend to keep on trucking. The areas that get a lot of strain due to fast switching, or heat, such as the power supplies and transformers are the most susceptible to failure. But in general - the systems are pretty common and have been refined over decades and economies of scale and improved components allow better subcomponents to be used -> greater reliability.

Contrast that with many of the digital systems of today... many more supply voltages to be worried about.. so more strict requirements on power supplies.. higher power loads.. more strain on power supplies.. much more delicate components (physically).. and many systems being pushed harder in terms of cooling and tolerances due to market demands for smaller, quieter devices, etc.

All the integrated electronics and advanced PCB stuff makes the components much harder to service. Before if a power supply failed and sent a surge that blew a transistor.. you could just clip the legs, and solder in a new one. With all the surface mount and ICs today those kinds of repairs aren't possible anymore on a simple lab bench.

Simply put.. the equipment is not as serviceable due to miniaturization and consolidation, devices can be more delicate, and tolerances are much tighter.

It's because of the tolerances and demands placed on the systems. A 2600 is quite a simple device relative to today's products - even just as the component level. It could probably be diagrammed out completely on a single sheet of paper by a university student. Heck, we BUILT cartridges for my 2600 back in the 80s. I had over 300 atari games because we copied and burned the ROMs to chips and had a carrier card with a socket you could just pop the ROM onto Of course these days you can do it all in MAME, but back then this was the original way

Should we just expect stuff to break these days? Should we be surprised if these things DON'T break? Frankly, I'm at that point right now.
    Anything driven at the cutting edge is going to push the reliability down. It's the same with cars, motorcycles, and virtually all electronics. And in this case, the room for 'slop' just isn't there.

When you compare a record spinning at 45 revolutions per minute compared to a DVD spinning at 1600 rpm.. (35x faster) you can easily identify how tolerances must be tighter and therefore room for failure grows.

But when dealing with consumer electronics - the market demands devices that require no service and should run indefinitely. The more complex the systems become - when the demand increases before technology advances - complexity is the only way to get there. I think the PS3 and 360 reliability show just how far the companies have pushed themselves to get a product at these price points.

Am I evil? yes, I am

we don't try to stay on the bleeding edge of technology. I was a bit surprised to hear the xbox 360 was still having issues. We prefer to wait until all the bugs are worked out...normally...with the exception of the xbox 360 which I did not research. I thought my Bf did....oh well...

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

we don't try to stay on the bleeding edge of technology. I was a bit surprised to hear the xbox 360 was still having issues. We prefer to wait until all the bugs are worked out...normally...with the exception of the xbox 360 which I did not research. I thought my Bf did....oh well...
    I know the Elites got the new Falcon chip, but I would assume by now they have made it into the rest of the consoles.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Pilot EdForceOne

Just because a product is older - doesn't mean its necessarily gone through revisions yet - or that it will not remain on the thin line.

All you need to do is look at how MS had to put the power supply external (and a MONSTER one at that) to see how much they were pushing the limits on the EMI and heat (reasons you put a switching power supply externally). Hopefully it wasn't put external for just serviceability! (predicting the power supply would be a high failure piece)

At this point - background on what the actual failure are would be the important stuff. To realize if 3 years from now if your 360 is going to be a $400 time bomb or not.

A failure isn't a big deal when the company makes it painless... but if it fails with no support.. then it really hurts

Am I evil? yes, I am

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast