Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

Question PSP vs Nintendo DS Lite

So Dustin and I are pondering handheld systems as we really want something to do while on our flights to and from So Cal without lugging our laptop around (i love it, but its got a 17inch widescreen which makes it awkward and its heavy as all get out).

Our dilemma lies in system to go with, PSP or Nintendo DS Lite. We're open to pretty much any kinds of games, so that's not really the issue. I really think its going to boil down to ease of use. The less peripheral stuff we have to deal with the better.

What's your personal opinion? Which system do you own? If you have both, which do you prefer?

Looking forward to your responses
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• 'splosions

Re: PSP vs Nintendo DS Lite

for me, its no contest.

the DS hands down. the games are more enjoyable (Pokemon comes quickly to mind, as well as Mario & Luigi, Hotel Dusk, Final Fantasy III, Sonic Rush, etc)

The PSP, while a powerful machine all its own, doesnt have the library that catches my interest as much as the DS did.

honestly i only got it to play Daxter and Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops...Daxter i never bought and MGS i never finished. I did however get both Mega Man remakes and played those to death. i even created a few levels for Powered Up!

i wound up giving it to my dad so he can use it for the internet when my mom takes his laptop

now, some people will say "but the PSP is the better machine" while its true, you can play music on it, UMD movies are getting cheaper, i find that the DS is best for just pure, simple gaming.

you turn it on, BAM, after the warning label you get 4 choices. DS game, Pictochat, DS Download Play or GBA game (if you have one inserted)

PSP you have to navigate through everything, wait til the intro loads, etc. takes too long to get in game for me.

in the end, i'm a DS man.
    Last edited by Browncoat; 12-11-2007 at 12:16 AM.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

agreed. DS is the best! I love the games on it especially if you're into Zelda, Mario etc. etc.

Haven't played mine in awhile though, but I would go with the DS

• BATTLE COMBINER!

DS has far more enjoyable games for smaller cvhildren, if you have violent game playing kkids, the PSP could have one more perk, but i suggest DS. its games are so more in depth, and the PSP doesn't have a good library.

Nintendo DS Lite for sure.

Its not only games that bring joy to my children,the pictochat and the Wi-Fi connection makes it easy for them to talk to their old friends from our old city
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee
    When someone takes a dump in my bathroom and doesn't turn on the fan, I don't need to prove who crapped. I already know it stinks.

VMK Name:IAnglez

• BATTLE COMBINER!

Were did ye get that fact?
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee
    When someone takes a dump in my bathroom and doesn't turn on the fan, I don't need to prove who crapped. I already know it stinks.

VMK Name:IAnglez

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

just to clarify these handhelds will be for my husband and i, we're in our mid30s...not for kids of which we have none (lest you count the dog and 2 cats, hehe)

and tyvm for the responses so far!
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• Circle of Ancients

Elly, we got the DS's for the kids, but we play them and take them on trips without the kids to play. The games are so fun on the DS. They have games from Zelda to Final Fantasy to New Super Mario Bros (which ROCKS), etc.

Also, Brain Age is probably one of the more addictive games around. Haven't played the 2nd one, but the first is great, even if you play it for the Sudoku (or however it's spelled)

I'm an adult (well kind of) and I have both systems. The DS does have a more interesting library for novices and children, but if I had to give one up, I'd keep my PSP. It doesn't have alot of great games, but it certainly has enough to keep me busy. And the future titles on their way are enough to keep me interested awhile longer. The styless on the DS can be interesting to use on some games, but I get a little tired of using it all the time. I've been trained to use buttons and sticks for far too long. I also like that I can download videos, music and pictures on my PSP. I don't have a video ipod, so I make good use of my PSP.

• Clearing my Calendar

We have both systems.

The PSP is technically my husband's - so all but one of the games on there are his interests. But I don't like the control and the way you hold it, so I dont' play my game much.

We have two DS systems (one was a gift) and they're great fun. We started out with the NintenDOG (or however it's spelled) game. He got one edition, I got the other. We love meeting up with our respective pups.

I like the versatility of the DS much more. We bought the battleship/monopoly/boggle/yahtzee game and utilize all the time when waiting at the movie theater.

I like that the DS can also play GBA games - a big plus because we have several of those as well.

Overall - for the casual gamer and for your purpose (we don't have kids either! ), I would recommend the DS.
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• BATTLE COMBINER!

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Elly, we got the DS's for the kids, but we play them and take them on trips without the kids to play. The games are so fun on the DS. They have games from Zelda to Final Fantasy to New Super Mario Bros (which ROCKS), etc.

Also, Brain Age is probably one of the more addictive games around. Haven't played the 2nd one, but the first is great, even if you play it for the Sudoku (or however it's spelled)
    O yes, New Super Mario Bros is fantastic. Haven't got Zelda yet, and I used to have Final Fantasy 3. Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Horse-Maniac View Post
    Were did ye get that fact?
    1. You mean where.

2. A gaming site i check out every once in a while, click the words and you'll see the site.

• Minion

I'd say the PSP suprise surprise.

Despite the quotes of this thread, the PSP has the largest selection of high rated games. If ratings aren't your thing, then there's no reason to even ask which is better since that's all based on SOMEONE's opinion/rating.

Wifi, Solid Multiplayer Internet, MP3 support, RSS feeds, Pictures, movies... the list goes on and on.

If you're a Nintendo fan, none of this matters. Go with the DS. DS= good quirky titles. PSP= good traditional games (sports, racing, RPG, etc).

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

After getting one DS free from the POTC premier loot bag, I was forced to either give it up or buy another for my other child....plunked down my $129 and as it turns out, they both LOVE LOVE LOVE them. We take them with us on every road/air trip. They are dead ez to operate. NOT a lot of 'baggage' ...godsend to anyone with kids.
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

• BATTLE COMBINER!

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian View Post
    PSP= good traditional games (sports, racing, RPG, etc).
    BOOOOO.

They have tradiotional, but UNORIGINAL. Sorry, but true. They are all, well, bland. There are a LOT of good racing games (Mario Kart, that one Carbon one) , and RPGs on DS. Pokemon? Final Fantasy (3 titles, all great. two are classics, Final Fantasy 3 and 4. Four is coming out soon.)

So yeah, PSP may have all the traditional things, but they are all bland. They are repetitive. And boring. Try something with new ideas.

Thanks.

The boo was a joke, so as not to upset you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast