Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question What makes XBL worth $50 a year?

So the XBOXers keep clammering on about how great XBL is and how it far outshines the PSN. The cheapest you can get a year of XBL is $50 if you get the 12+1 month card and can be as much as $8 if you do it month-to-month. The PSN is free to everybody who has a Playstation and you can have friend lists, chat, etc.

So what makes the XBL worth the money and so much better than the PSN? And what can you do on the XBL that you can NOT do on the PSN that warrants the $50/yr?

• white and nerdy

Re: What makes XBL worth $50 a year?

• Achievements.
    • Halo 3
    That's pretty much it.

After home comes out (sometime in the next five or ten decades) I think things will change.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee View Post
    • Achievements.
    • Halo 3
    Do you need to pay for XBL to gain achievments? And as for Halo, I was looking for more in the way of features of XBL that make it worth paying for - not games you can play on it. And the reason I am looking for these is the constant "XBL is better than the PSN" type of comments that keep popping up.

• Minion

Last edited by Soulquarian; 12-31-2007 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian View Post
    It's been going wonky lately...
    LOL - I really had no idea. I am not going to hold it against them.... all online stuff goes down from time to time. Now, if it is down for a long amount of time that may be a different story.

But I did see some good posts on the links given:

Funny thing is that Kotaku, nor many oter gaming sites, have been reporting about this....
    I said in another thread that Kotaku was pretty much a 360fanboy run site and I think this helps show why. If it was the PSN that went down you can bet it would be plastered all over Kotaku and lots of other sites that lean in favor of MS. I can not find a post on Kotaku prior to the 30th about XBL being busted.

360 has ads for a paid online service

Wii/Ps3 have no ads for a free service

anyone who tries to defend this or argue it is an obvious fanboy (or a retard).
    I also had no idea XBL had ads in it. I would have never have guessed this in a million years! I really do not like the idea of ads within the paid service area... free area ya what can you say? But pay at least $50 a year and get blasted with ads? Yuck!

Still no reason why $50/yr XBL is better than the free PSN.....

• Sea Creature

It's online gameplay, take it or leave it.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDude View Post
    I can not find a post on Kotaku prior to the 30th about XBL being busted.
    Psst...

Look a little harder...

From the 28th...

http://kotaku.com/338734/poor-canada...e-%5Bupdate%5D
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Quote Originally Posted by justjohn View Post
    Psst...

Look a little harder...

From the 28th...

http://kotaku.com/338734/poor-canada...e-%5Bupdate%5D

Ahh, thanks for pointing that one out, Silly me clicked on the "XBOX 360" tab thinking all 360 news would be there. But not wanting to get too off-topic here BUT they still sat on it for a few days and even when posted really did downplay how bad the issue really was and did not even put it in the 360 tab. Would they have done the same if the PSN went down? I think not based on thier "reporting" in the past. But anyway - thats not the point of this thread. I am not holding anything against MS for the outage. And my question really has nothing to do with game sites and how they do or do not report.

But JJ, I was really expecting some good reasons from you of all people... I am kinda let down over here

The original question still stands.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

But JJ, I was really expecting some good reasons from you of all people... I am kinda let down over here

The original question still stands.
    Hey, I expected some good answers in other threads as well, but we all know how that goes...

In any case, how can I make an informed evaluation of the two when my PS3 bricked after a few hours of gameplay and there isn't anything I want to play online? The COD4 and GHIII I just got were for 360 and right now we're trying to track down a RB right now for 360 also, but having little luck.

I've resigned myself to the fact that my PS3 is a nothing more than a Blu-Ray player for the time being.

When are you going to pick up a 360 to make your own comparisons instead of relying on other peoples opinions?
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Quote Originally Posted by justjohn View Post
    When are you going to pick up a 360 to make your own comparisons instead of relying on other peoples opinions?
    I am really looking for features that make XBL worth the money. I do not consider features as opinions. "You can have a gamerscore that lets you do this..." is not an opinion in my book. I am not looking for experts in both XBL and PSN, just people know about XBL. I do know a little about it, but I can not see anything that really screams out as being worth $50 a year when I can do the PSN all year long for free and pick up an extra game while XBLers are picking up a XBL card.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

How about the largest online gaming community with a HUGE existing library of games fitting pretty much EVERY genre of gaming and the ability to pick up a match pretty much 24 hours a day? From what I understand, at least with Team Fortress, there aren't that many players on PSN to get into games with otherwise the most active games are Warhawk and COD4.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

BTW, is that a feature?

In all honesty, while the PSN may be free for now but servers don't come for free. I would expect "free PSN" to go the way of Sony's promise to support backwards compatibility and rumble as a last gen feature and for them to start charging when they get more people playing online. Right now, they can afford it. Later, maybe not so much, especially if there gaming division keeps spurting money like a cut artery.
    Last edited by justjohn; 12-31-2007 at 09:11 PM.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• white and nerdy

Well, I have and use both quite a lot and, to be frank, the only real difference is Xbox has more games for now.

I really don't like the Wii's online offerings at the moment. Talk to me when Mario Kart and Super Smash Brothers comes out and we'll see.

Okay.. I can think of one more thing that's better about xbox... their loading times (for online matches and the like) take less time, but that also has a bit to do with the internet connection.

The ps3 costs more, but it has free online and free wireless internet connection
    the xbox costs less, but you pay around $50 a year for online gaming with wireless sold extra ($99) but with more games.

I honestly like both of them the same... that is to say... the respective pros and cons of each one weigh about the same.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

Well XBL silver is free but doesnt allow you to play online but you can still download demos, trailers, picture pack, ect. XBL gold allows online with a great matchmaking system that works well...and theres also the XBL diamond card that allows you to get discounts at a bunch of different places...then besides the community, friends list, and your own gamer card/account, theres nothing really different.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

I am really looking for features that make XBL worth the money. I do not consider features as opinions. "You can have a gamerscore that lets you do this..." is not an opinion in my book. I am not looking for experts in both XBL and PSN, just people know about XBL. I do know a little about it, but I can not see anything that really screams out as being worth $50 a year when I can do the PSN all year long for free and pick up an extra game while XBLers are picking up a XBL card.
    So what do you think about what people have said? Are the features I listed good enough to justify the $50?
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast