Talking PS3 sold faster than Xbox 360 for same period

When will the good news stop? The PS3 is on a roll folks, time to wake up and smell the coffe

http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=162608

Report: PS3 sold faster than Xbox 360 for same period

by Blake Snow | 02/20/2008 | 9:50:47 AM PST

The PlayStation 3 sold slightly better in its first 14 months of availability than the popular Xbox 360 thanks to solid sales abroad, says a homebrew estimate from VG Chartz.

Maybe more people buy and like the PS3 than meets the online eye, that is if unofficial numbers from sales tracker VG Chartz are to be believed.
    According VG Chartz, Sony has sold more than 10 million PS3s worldwide through January, something the Associated Press corroborated on Tuesday. By contrast, the Xbox 360 didn't reach the 10 million mark on global VG Chartz charts until June 2007, some four months after the PS3.
    Further analysis of the numbers reveal why: the PS3 enjoys consistent sales worldwide in all major markets. The Xbox 360, meanwhile, sells lopsidedly better in the U.S. than Europe and is widely considered a failure in Japan.
    Despite its accomplishments, the PS3 has been widely criticized by outspoken pundits and consumers alike since launch, something that has largely simmered down in recent months thanks to a price drop and better games, particularly those released during the holidays.
    Adding to the momentum is today's fresh announcement that Toshiba will discontinue its HD DVD business, making Sony's Blu-ray the optical HD standard, and the PS3 that much more compelling as a product.
    Also reported here:
    http://kotaku.com/358655/ps3-sold-fa...in-same-period

What I like about the report is it uses the 2 sites that are used on this forum in effort to show how prro the PS3 is

• Earth Intruder

Re: PS3 sold faster than Xbox 360 for same period

That's great and all, but as a dedicated gamer who has owned a Ps3 since July 07 -- when are we gonna see all this good news translate into the GAMES??? Hopefully soon.

I still do not own one Ps3 game.

Certainly, I have lots of Ps2 games (around 15) that I didn't have before.

I rented Heavenly Sword, which was FANTASTIC (too short, but I totally loved it... definitely worth a rental). I downloaded and played the demos to Uncharted, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, The Simpsons (funny, but the gameplay sucked sucked sucked), Rachet and Clank, and even downloaded the HD Lemmings game from the Ps3 store (good game as always, and cute update, but it is more fun/easier to control with a mouse on the PC).

However, none of the above, to me, is worth dropping $60. (Plus the two that sound kinda cool are Devil May Cry 4 and Assassin's Creed, but again, not $60 cool... more like rental cool). So, of the above, there's a grand total of 6 Ps3 games that I'd recommend checking out... it just seems like a low number considering how long the system has been out. And none of those are in my favorite RPG genre.

And when the heck is Ps3 Home coming out? I've had the trailer demo since when, October?

I use my Ps3 daily (and am SUPER happy with my purchase). I just don't use it for Ps3 games yet, lol. Where are the RPGs? Final Fantasy 13 can't come soon enough.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• DL Nerd

honestly.. console wars suck and so do fanboys....

I'm happy with my 360. Why should I get a PS3? I'm sure it's a fine system. but most popular games will be on both systems.

Why should you get a 360? (if you don't have one) The same reason applies.

Who cares anymore, If you're happy with your console then sweet.
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

Its only because I bought one.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by C-HOX View Post
    Its only because I bought one.

And because I didn't!
    Har har har

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Junthor View Post
    honestly.. console wars suck and so do fanboys....

I'm happy with my 360. Why should I get a PS3? I'm sure it's a fine system. but most popular games will be on both systems.

Why should you get a 360? (if you don't have one) The same reason applies.

Who cares anymore, If you're happy with your console then sweet.
    QFT!!!

And why are we discussing the 360 vs. the PS3 when we all know the Wii rules all.

And don't EVEN get me started on the GameCube. It Pwnz.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog View Post
    Final Fantasy 13 can't come soon enough.
    Yeah...

About that Cherny...

I don't know how to tell you this...

http://kotaku.com/358442/final-fanta...to-spring-2010

Dunno! But we do know it's sure hard to delay a game that isn't dated. Square Enix hasn't said much about the game which is, in a way, good, because we'd rather have them working on it than talking about working on it. Last we heard, Square Enix was smashing rumors that the game would be out this year. No wonder people are worrying! Some Japanese industry analysts over on Japanese stock news site Trader's Web predicted that Final Fantasy XIII would be pushed back to March 2010. Until then, the value of Square Enix's stocks is supposed to drop. What's more, website Hobby Blog points out, some 2channel users are starting to compare FFXIII to vaporware like Gran Turismo for the PSP. We haven't heard any rumblings, suggesting that Square Enix was going to release the game as late as 2010 though, it could happen! Though, pinning fears and tears on the Trader's Web prediction is a little silly at this point. As KBC analyst Hiroshi Kamide tells Kotaku:

No news good or bad from the company really, but I expect the shares to start rallying again nearer the time DQIX is to be released.
    So do we! We also expect Final Fantasy XIII will sell a gajillion copies in Japan no matter if it's released in 2009 or 2010. Until then, no freaking out, okay?
    Sorry...

Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Vehicle rotating backward

It's good for everybody when everyone is doing well. PS3 will find it's niche, though it won't be the niche that the marketing folks were originally hoping for. It's too late to repeat the success of the PS2 and single-handedly dominate an entire entertainment industry, but it'll hang on.

I'm with Chernabog; though I do own a PS3 game that I enjoy fairly regularly, Call of Duty 4.

• Crazy Furry

Hmmm..right now the only way I see the PS3 beating 360 in sales is simply because of the whole Blu-Ray/HD-DVD thing. Since Blu Ray is unfortuntly the format everyone one is going to, the PS3 is hands down the cheapest Blu Ray player you can get.

Can't say PS3 is dominating because of the games since to me there are only a handful of great games for it (Uncharted, COD4,Rachet and Clank,Assassin's Creed), not to mention a even smaller amout of those great games are exclusives. (Uncharted and R.A.C.)

Now I will get a PS3 no doubt someday, but I'll wait till more great games come out for it.
    Disney and Universal fan for life!...Shocking ain't it?
    Seize the future with X-S! Not Stitch.
    I'm not crazy, now if you will excuse me I have tea time with the ghosts at Haunted Mansion.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by AE_Fan View Post
    Hmmm..right now the only way I see the PS3 beating 360 in sales is simply because of the whole Blu-Ray/HD-DVD thing.
    Don't forget that Xbox is taking a PR pounding because of their breakdowns.

Can't say PS3 is dominating because of the games since to me there are only a handful of great games for it (Uncharted, COD4,Rachet and Clank,Assassin's Creed)
    Pretty much all the big games of the holiday season were released for it. COD4, Rock Band, Orange Box, Guitar Hero. The only big holiday game it missed out on was Super Mario Galaxy for obvious reasons.

not to mention a even smaller amout of those great games are exclusives. (Uncharted and R.A.C.)
    The era of exclusives are ending thanks to development costs. The future probably lies in ease of programming, and infrastructure for online services. Microsoft has a bit of an edge on that last one because they got into the Live thing really early last time and have been refining it for years, the downside being that. Sony has an alright setup for something you don't have to pay for though Home is supposed to be pushing it forward from where Microsoft was in 2004 (which is where they are now) to, oh, where Microsoft was in 2006.

PS3 has a fairly nice hardware edge in that their hard drive uses a standard interface and you can easily load pictures and videos and movies onto the thing, and the goal is that games will be able to access that media. I'm already looking forward to crafting a LittleBigPlanet version of a Disney park with all my vacation photos already loaded onto the HD. Microsoft's hard drives use some custom bus interface that requires you to buy Xbox-branded hard drives from Microsoft at what's pretty outrageous prices, and what kind of content you can store on your own hard drive is a bit iffy right now.