Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

My husband bought me a Playstation 3 for my birthday so I would buy Blu-Ray

Today is my birthday and my husband took the boys out to buy me some presents. After opening two cute stuffed animals from the boys, and a Disney bracelet from my husband, he told the kids to get the last present out of the car...a Sony Playstation 3.

What?

We already own a GameCube, Wii, XBox 360 and Playstation 2. (My boys are 8 and 11 and need these systems.) So why was he buying me a PS3? Well, yesterday I told him I pre-ordered Enchanted from the Disney Store to get the lithographs. I told him that the Blu-Ray disk has special features that the regular DVD will not have, but we were not going to get a Blu-Ray player until next year when we upgrade our TV to an HDTV. Thinking about the old VHS tapes we still have in the basement, he suggested we buy the Blu-Ray Enchanted now so we would not have to trade in the DVD in the future. Well, I don't want to wait a year to watch Enchanted (even though I do subscribe to Netflix and could watch it whenever I want) he knows how stubborn I am, so he bought a Blu-Ray for me today.

Now granted, it is in the form of a PS3, but he has been told that the Blu-Ray in the PS3 is the best one out there. Blu-Rays go for $400 and so does the PS3, so why not get the PS3 and have a great game system as well?

I married a marvelous man! Unpredictable, but marvelous.

So, did he make the right choice? More bang for the buck? Or should he have stuck to just the Blu-Ray player?

• Master of Disaster

Re: My husband bought me a Playstation 3 for my birthday so I would buy Blu-Ray

Right choice. If he got teh backwards compatible one with the PS2 games as well then you can "eliminate" so to speak one of the kids systems because the PS3 will play it. ALSO if you have any video files on your computer, or pictures, or MP3s then with a network cable and a quick tweak of windows media player and you can view all of that on the ps3 as well.

Main point is that its not JUST a blue ray player and a great deal when you throw in all the things it can do.

good choice if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by zugzug15 View Post
    . ALSO if you have any video files on your computer, or pictures, or MP3s then with a network cable and a quick tweak of windows media player and you can view all of that on the ps3 as well.
    Did not know that zugzug. Thanks for the info.

I think we will be getting rid of the PS2. Really no need to have it anymore. And I hate all those cords from the controller. We still need to get rid of the old XBox but I hear GameStop doesn't pay much for them. Does anyone know of a good charity for kids that would take old game systems?

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

You know, I'd put the PS2 away, but hang on to it. I'm always nervous about products that have multiple uses. If one part of it goes bad, you have to send the whole thing out to get fixed and then you're short an appliance.

I think I'm just superstitious about that, though. It may be just me.
    A signature should go here.

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

Sweet and thoughtful husband Nancy!! I'm a fan of any superior appliance that allows for another's obsolesence, but I'm w/ SusieP..I'd keep that PS2 tucked in a closet.
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

You both have a point there Susie and All4disney. I may just hold onto the PS2 for awhile. The XBox 360 is working out though. I may get rid of the XBox. My house is so small it is hard to store things.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

You're going to have to keep the PS2 hooked up. The $400 PS3 doesn't come with backwards compatibility. You do have the only Blu-Ray player on the market that isn't outdated already. You are safe through the final profile Blu-Ray Live.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Quote Originally Posted by justjohn View Post
    You're going to have to keep the PS2 hooked up. The $400 PS3 doesn't come with backwards compatibility. You do have the only Blu-Ray player on the market that isn't outdated already. You are safe through the final profile Blu-Ray Live.
    I didn't know that about the backwards compatibility thing. I will have my husband call BestBuy to see it that applies to us. I think we'll keep the PS2 hooked up to the TV in the game room so one boy can play one game while the other boy can play a new game on the other TV. We plan to hook the PS3 into the big TV and use it like a DVD player.

As far as new Blu-Rays coming out, isn't there some sort of internet hook up with the PS3? I imagine if there is new stuff going on with Blu-Ray, we can just download it through the internet.

Thanks for your thoughts justjohn.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

If its a 4oGB, no reason to check with BB, it doesn't play PS2 games. It doesn't have the chips inside of it that are needed to play a PS2 game, but you can play any PS1 games you have.

The first thing you NEED to do is hook up the console to the internet (via built in wireless or the ethernet port) and update the firmware to the newest version. This will give you access to the newest Profile 1.1 features (picture in picture) along with a bunch of new features and settings for the console.

One other thing, the PS3 remote is junk, just use the controller to work it.

Next is hold off on getting a second controller if you can. The newest controller with rumble is coming out next month for roughly the same price.
    Last edited by justjohn; 03-17-2008 at 01:46 PM.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• For You!

Nancy, what a sweet hubby!! Sounds like it should be lots of fun for you and your family!

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Thanks again for the info justjohn. We did check with BestBuys after I signed off here, and you were right, it does not play PS2 games. But that's okay, we'll just keep the PS2 hooked up to one TV and the PS3 hooked up to the other.

Thanks for the heads up on the controller. We have not hooked up the PS3 yet. We are in no hurry at this time. It would be nice to have it hooked up by the weekend so I can watch Enchanted, but no big deal.

I do have another question, why is the remote control junk? My husband bought one but has not opened it up yet.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

We already own a GameCube, Wii, XBox 360 and Playstation 2.
    That's nothing. My ex has an original Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Playstation 1, Playstation 2... that was before we broke up. He probably now also has an XBox, XBox 360, Playstation 3 and a Wii... and whatever other video game consoles are out there.

All I have is an Atari Flashback II.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

This is all personal experience, so you may not have the same problems.

The remote keeps losing its pairing with the PS3 so I have to keep matching it back up.

The buttons have a real dead feeling and you can't tell if the batteries are dead or not because there are no indicator lights to give you any clue.

The battery door is junk and keeps sliding off the controller.

Also remember that you need to pick up a set of component cables or an HDMI cable to get the full HD. The stock cables don't handle the Hi-Def signal.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by justjohn View Post
    This is all personal experience, so you may not have the same problems.

The remote keeps losing its pairing with the PS3 so I have to keep matching it back up.

The buttons have a real dead feeling and you can't tell if the batteries are dead or not because there are no indicator lights to give you any clue.

The battery door is junk and keeps sliding off the controller.

Also remember that you need to pick up a set of component cables or an HDMI cable to get the full HD. The stock cables don't handle the Hi-Def signal.
    I have had the Ps3 remote since day 1 and have had none of the problems described above. I paired it with the Ps3 exactly once. The battery door has never slid off. I just like it because it's easier to use a one-push button for things like turning subtitles off and on without the extra steps of using the controller. I mean, everything CAN be done using the Ps3 controller, but it requires extra work And who wants to do that while watching a movie?

I like that the Ps3 uses bluetooth (and thus you don't have to point the remote directly at the Ps3 to get it to work) but of course, it can't be incorporated into a non-bluetooth universal remote.

Justjohn is right about the cables. Get an HDMI cable depending on what your TV accepts (sometimes its an HDMI -> DVI cable), but DO NOT GET IT AT BEST BUY SINCE THEY WILL RIP YOU OFF. HDMI cables are like $5, whereas Best Buy will charge you $30 and up. (check out a site like monoprice.com which has em for cheap).
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

LOL yeah it has been known that the PS3 is the cheapest Blu-Ray player for a while now, the other players are either faster drives or they are built for PCs only diff.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast