• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Excellent "Business" Analysis of why VMK is closing - John Frost, 4/15/08

This article is really detailed, and gets into the business reasons why Disney is closing down VMK, and might not be for everyone, but for those that want to go "behind the curtain", it shows the real story...

http://thedisneyblog.com/2008/04/15/...dom/#more-3767

When Disney Parks (I still hate that name for the division — could it be any less magical) wanted an online promotion as part of the world wide celebration of Disneyland’s 50th Anniversary, they paid Disney Online to set it up for them. Disney Online then went and licensed the software from Sulake Corporation to build the Virtual Magic Kingdom. I understand that Disney Online also did some additional programming work on top of what Sulake provided.

There have been some discussions recently that VMK is closing due to the original licensing agreement with Sulake coming to an end. Sulake did just sign an ‘exclusive’ agreement with Paramount Studios to provide virtual worlds for their film properties. That may have had something to do with it, but I haven’t been able to confirm that one way or another.

What I am hearing is that Disney Parks considers the 50th Anniversary promotion all wrapped up. They cut off funding for the project to Disney Online many months ago and that Disney Online has been looking at ways to continue VMK since then despite the loss of internal funding.
    Much more at the link.....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Re: Excellent "Business" Analysis of why VMK is closing - John Frost, 4/15/08

I do believe that it was a total money issue.

It wasn't making money from them, and the Theme Parks themselves are doing great in terms of business, so they don't need the game to promote them, plus they are investing more money on other aspects of Disney online, so it seems natural to close VMK.

But I don't think Saluke has the influence they were talking about.

The game was run and sponsored by the Disney parks. I believe Disney only commissioned Saluke to design it.

• Purple Crates ♥

very well written article, nice to see that someone out there cares

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Interesting article, thanks for digging that up Darkbeer. It all makes sense to me. VMK was fun while it lasted, but now with the rights gone, it is time to move on.

• Merry 2014!

If Disney had wanted to they could have properly promoted VMK from the beginning. It is clear they never intended to make it the commercial success it could have been.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!