• Circle of Ancients

Some Lessons Learned..

Hello Everyone. If you don't know me, I'm Capt.Walrus (And probably most of you don't). And just for refrence point, i am in high school. I have been reading all the arguments and all the statements about VMK closing, and i really wanted to save my opinions for the end. I think that this expierence has brought us all much more than friends, and most of it without even knowing it. So I think, instead of me trying to complain about how VMK should still be open and whatnot, I'm going to share for everyone my feelings on what we got out of VMK.

First, a little about my character. I joined under the name i_am-the_walrus in August of '06. I had gone to Disneyland and saw the kiosk there, and went home and tried it out. The first room i went to (other than the esplanade of course ) was the Jungle Crusie Dock, and the moment i got out of that horrific round i knew i wanted to play this game. I didn't get the jist of things until September, Tron Month. I'm really telling you this only forthe information that i haven't been playing forever like some have, and if i have, this list of lessons would be way longer.

So... onto the lessons:

#1... Bad situations can always turn to good ones: I loved my name i_am-the_walrus. It was so creative (I had actually had a 2 week block where i typed the same name over an over that VMK would not accept so i could think of a good one). But in october 2006, VMK decided to take it from me. I didn't understand why, and i was angry. But then, when i finally got my new name, i loved it. Capt.Walrus. It just stuck. And i realized that i liked this name much more than the first. Another example is with Disneyland itself. I am an AP holder, so I go a lot. When i joined VMK, however, i started to go just for the Quest Prizes and to make a bunch of new characters. But then, the news came out that it would close. I was furious. After it closed, i didn't go back for a month. But then, when i really did go back, I started to see the real essence of Disneyland. I started to ride rides i would never do if i was trying to entertain people who have never been before. I started to realize what Disneyland was all about: The magic. So lesson learned: Bad situations will always turn to good ones.

#2....Working Hard Pays off: My second lesson came in November of '06, Space Month. The moment i heard of the space ride competition, i wanted in. So i worked harder than i have ever before on a computer to save enough credits for the pieces. I played pirates day and night until my fingers ached. I traded stuff i got at the parks for ride pieces. But finally, the ride finished. The ride was not very good or creative, so needless to say it didn't win. But i loved it. IT was my creation. I worked hard to bring it to life. I realized that this can be with anything in my life. Another example was in the two awards i won. I won best quest and best game each once, and i was very proud. But to win that quest award, i had to sit in my quest room for three weeks straight. Awfully boring, but the hard work payed off and it turned out to be one of the last weeks they gave out Haunted Mansion Rooms. Lesson Learned: Hard Work can make anything great.

#3.... Economics... yeah, Economics. I recently sat down with a good friend of mine who plays a game called MAple Story. We talked about what good comes out of these games. One of them was economic basics. I learned about investment in VMK. For example, i took the DLR pumpkins i got at Disneyland that year and traded them for tons of stuff more. I took the Snowmen and Blue Soldiers i got at Disneyland and traded them for even more, which became the basis of my stitch hat offer. Also, i learned about supply and demand. When infernos are only released in a host game over the summer that it was next to impossible to win, the supply is low, so the demand is up. When people see a new item come out for sale that was released before, the supply skyrockets, leaving demand way low. The last economic term i learned through VMK was pricing. I knew that Four Stitch hats = inferno, but when inferno became a DMR item then it was 12 infernos = Blue Stitch Hat. Lesson learned= VMK has been more educational than you think

#4.... Individuality: VMK was a way to express your own opinions and your own personalitly. And everyone had a different one. Some people just played pirates all day,and only saild "hi" and "GL" all day. But i realized that we all made a lasting impression on each other. Aengus ( ) will always be rememberd as indian Headdress, Green Flips, Blue HKDL. That's his own style, and we all took one. And people (in the real world now) like us because of our individuality, not because we bandwaggon all the time. Lesson Learned: How to be yourself.

#5...You set your own life's goals: This one is a little more apparent, but i thought i would share anyway. VMK had so many different aspects that it taught me that everyone has their own goals to make. Some people might be trading all the time, waiting for the day they get green flips. Some people might be trying to win a award. And that's what i appreciate out of VMK. Most games have one goal: Ro get to a higher level than XYZ character. But vmk had so many different goals. You could change your goal every day if you wanted to. LEsson LEarned: Goasls in life should be chosen on what you want to do. not what others want you to do.

VMK has only been a part of my life for a year and a half, but that has made the difference. I now go to Disneyland to go to Disneyland, and i still remeber my goals for now and for the future. VMK has taught me so much more than i think Disney expected it to. And don't get me wrong, i will miss my friends. But if we wake up and realize what VMK [b]has[b] given us instead of worrying about what it hasn't, we can enjoy this last day, and always remember how much we learned from our community.

I would love to give a special thanks to all the people who helped teach me these lessons: Cyre, HathowayB, KellySue, Midien, Aengus, Disvaclub, Dbourque, Norbie, Briar Lori, Ineedafriend, AliasSpike, NightmareTime, AngelCF, PrincessRayRays, Stitchers, CapnMonkeyBrains, EvilQueenRocks, SweetPEaRules, Summer, BigPigletFan, Thecoolestaw, QueenMichelle, Cindisweetie, DesertCat, Seirina, ArestheBat, Dance_Is_life, And so many more that i would be able to think of if it wasn't 6 in the morning.

Thanks Everyone that has been a part of my VMK life. You truelly all rock.

Sincerely,

Capt.Walrus
    Angels Fan, born and raised.
    Come on you Galaxy.

• Woot!

Re: Some Lessons Learned..

aww very well said. im going to miss you buddy
    *Thecoolestaw*

• 333: I'm only half evil!!

Blog Entries

definitely some things to think about. I'll miss seeing you in VMK.
    AP Holder.
    Stay at home mom of 4 - Austin, Tyler, Sierra and Ashlyn.

• Yo-yoer

Very well said, Walrus. I whole-heartedly agree! We took so much out of VMK, it's really incredible. What used to be just another online game I played has turned into a community of friends, a learning experience, and just a wonderful place to hang when you don't know what to do.

I'll miss VMK, but I'm overjoyed that I joined in the first place and stayed all this time.
    Bear with me, I'm learning as I go.

• Banned User

Did you know I never knew you were Capt.Walrus? I'm pretty sad, aren't I.

• wheeeee!

Wally, you're amazing. What you wrote is very insperational, and made me really think. Yes, VMK is closing. But we all gained something wonderful from it. Despite the fact we're getting a little severed from the friends we had, we've all matured through experiences and memories. Thank you for helping me realize this.

• Circle of Ancients

Your welcome Batty Mc Bat Bat! Don't be a stranger around these parts!
    Angels Fan, born and raised.
    Come on you Galaxy.

• formerly PretzelSouls!

That's so cute! Thanks for sharing, I wish I was able to know you on VMK!
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• I embrace my insanity.

I didn't see this until just now, sorry! D: Very well said Brian.
    Oh, and I know you saved the best for last on your list of friends. ;O

• String Theory q:

Just saw this thread now like Dance Thanks for all the memories your post has brought to me! Im so sorry I couldn't spend time with you guys on the last days of VMK, but Im glad that you guys made the most out of it! Awesome thread to bring back the memories

Thanks to Mihawk, Piinoy, cyre, Midien, dance, uhm.. and alot of people!

• Ray's Evil Cookie Baker

Very nicely said Walrus <3 hugs my friend!

take that jediMihawk

• Woot!

haha way to be like 113451322151231231 days late Med. LOL
    *Thecoolestaw*

• a Little more than Weird;

Ahhh-mazingly put Cali boy!
    We have to remember the friends we made, not how our virtual community disappeared.
    [[I know im like, over a month late, but i havent dared to venture back into the VMK section since a day before VMK closed...]]

In Marching Band, there's no such thing as "One More Time."