So, Season 7 of syndicated "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire", and as a long time fan - the new season feels like every version of Millionaire rolled into one, and Producer Davies has made some very different changes this time around:
So what do I think of the new Millionaire? It's nothing new, but all of its history rolled into one. It's not anything like Regis Millionaire anymore, and I don't know if that's a good thing or not.
- The Clock - It reminds me of the Disney attraction "Play It!", the times are the same. What was unmentioned is that any unused time is banked to the 1mil question. Overall, I don't like it. Millionaire was all about the external pressure (Music, Lights, Host, etc.) - now there's artifical pressure of the clock.
- The Menu - A cool new idea where the contestants (and audience) sees the categories of their stack before they answer the questions. I like it.
- Double Dip - Double dip is back from Super Millionaire, and it replaces the 50:50. It's the same as before (once you use it, you're locked in). I think they should have just included both 50:50 and DD. 50:50 is too classic to go away.
- Ask The Expert - Remember the '3 Wise Men' lifeline from Super Millionaire? We'll, it's back - but on Skype and only one expert. It's a nice addition at the $2,000 level.
- New Graphic Package - The Millionaire graphics are now super slick, and very blue. Fonts have changed a bit, but it's a nice touch.
- New Music - Some of the stings for the DD and ATE are recycled from Super Millionaire, and the new music is very quiet compared to seasons past. It's okay, but there's too much clock ticking.