• Shablagoo!

Long lost 80's sitcom opening

Ever heard of the TV sitcom MOnkey Shines? It was a short lived series in the mid-80's.

Here is the opening theme song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...eilgaiman.com/
    Last edited by Melonballer; 12-08-2008 at 02:16 AM.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Long lost 80's sitcom opening

Never heard of it. And I'm usually on the ball with 80's stuff like that. But this is too obscure for even me.

WOW! It looks like a bad Youtube video, not an acutal TV show.
    Yeppers there's a reason I don't recall this one.

• no flash photography...

Monkey Shines is an American TV series that aired for one day in 1985 on ABC. It premiered as a 46-minute pilot at 8 A.M. and was cancelled during the first commerical break. Jonathan Coulton starred as well as writing and directing the pilot episode. Since its cancellation in the first 30-minutes, the show has achieved cult status, best-known for the fact that no one knows anything about it. Numerous myths about the show circulate the web, although few have ever been substantiated.

and no I don't remember it.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • has a brand new mindset

Wow. And we complain about how fast shows are cancelled now? This one didn't make it to the end of it's first episode! That's crazy bad!
    I love my awesome crazy wonderful friends!!

"Do you remember in kindergarten, how you’d meet a kid,
    then 10 seconds later you’d be playing like you were best friends?"

• Lackey

Very interesting. Great TV trivia. I don't remember it, either, and hadn't heard that history.

Eddie: You mean to tell me you could have taken your hand out of those cuffs at any time?
    Roger: Not at any time. Only when it's funny.

~<8O]

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

It looks like a joke. Even the name "Monkey Shines" makes it sound like a April Fools prank. But if SCUBAbe says it's real, I believe it.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    It looks like a joke. Even the name "Monkey Shines" makes it sound like a April Fools prank. But if SCUBAbe says it's real, I believe it.
    wikipedia says it's real. I think the youtube is a fake intro though. Wikipedia said they had a real monkey and only used a stuffed one in some scenes. So, I'm guessing the stuffed monkey looked real.

• Shablagoo!

On his website, Jonathan Coulton , Coulton reminisces about his acting days.

Yeah, I don’t know what to say about this. Everyone knows what happened to my acting career in the 80’s - let’s just say that I should have been working at Sea World because I was very good at making sharks jump. Or I guess, making people, or rather television shows, jump over sharks. Or Fonzie. Whatever! You know what I mean. This series never got of the ground, and to be perfectly honest I don’t even remember shooting the pilot - as you know, in those days I would drink about 10 Cokes before I even got out of bed, that was what it took for me to feel normal. So it’s safe to say that I was still feeling pretty loopy by the time they turned the cameras on. This particular failure was one shark (jumped over) too many, and it pretty much marked the end of my TV career (punching Stephen J. Canell in the eye at Tony Danza’s progressive dinner party did not help, ha ha).

I really like the laptop computers that Coulton and Neil Gaiman are using in the opening.
    Last edited by Melonballer; 12-08-2008 at 11:16 PM.

• Shablagoo!

MOre information from paulandstorm.com

Jonathan Coulton’s short-lived sitcom “Monkey Shines” had an extremely brief run on ABC in 1985; it was cancelled during the first commercial break of the first episode, and was ordered destroyed by then-ABC President Grant Tinker. The show slowly developed a cult following through the years, however but although numerous rumors of bootleg recordings of the show circulated, they all proved to be hoaxes or, in several cases, episodes from season 3 of “Felicity“.
    In early 2008, in a sub-basement of the Yale University anthropological studies department, researchers unearthed a Betacam master video recording of the pilot episode opening credits. (Unfortunately, the remainder of the episode was apparently recorded over with footage of the Yale Whiffenpoofs “1991 Holiday Jamboree Sing-a-bration”) To date, this remains the only authenticated footage from “Monkey Shines”. (Reclusive star Coulton has not returned repeated requests for comment)

I don't know, this just feels like a hoax to me. Anyone can create a Wikipedia page, and for a supposed cult following, there's a suspicious lack of references to it (not the '80s movie by the same name) on search engines. It looks like this was an April Fool's prank by the supposed stars. At least that's my guess.

Mind you, I do remember there being a series in the '80s that was cancelled mid-episode, but starred... um, maybe Paula Poundstone? In any case, this wasn't it.

ETA: Aha! My BS detector is apparently correct about this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Mo...hines_(TV_Show)

Not to be a fun-ruiner, but this show didn't actually exist; it's a one-off joke involving Jonathan Coulton, Neil Gaiman, and Paul and Storm, among others. I don't know how to mark it as fictional. UltraNurd (talk) 22:32, 9 December 2008 (UTC)

Agreed...the YouTube video is even shot in 16:9, and in 1985, Coulton was only 15. -EmiOfBrie (talk) 07:35, 10 December 2008 (UTC)
    The Whiffenpoof reference is also a pretty good clue that it's a joke.
    Last edited by drb; 12-16-2008 at 09:45 AM.