Page 1 of 56 1234112651 ... LastLast

• Minion

American Idol Season 8 Discussion Thread

Welcome to the 8th season of American Idol!

The show will premiere on January 13, 2009, with familiar faces Ryan Seacrest as host and Simon Cowell, Paula Abdul, and Randy Jackson as judges. Joining the judges stand this year is Kara DioGuardi.

Additional changes this season include a reduction of the humorous bad auditions and more emphasis on potential singers during the early Hollywood stage of the show (however those who enjoy making fun of terrible auditioners ought not to worry, I hear the Puerto Rico tryouts were mostly awful). The audience will see more of the candidates' back stories and individual emotion as the show progresses.

Auditions were held at San Francisco CA, Louisville KY, Glendale AZ, Salt Lake City UT, San Juan (Puerto Rico), Kansas City MO, Jacksonville FL, and East Rutherford, NJ.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Re: American Idol Season 8 Discussion Thread

I am glad they are putting less emphasis on the bad singing portion of the auditions.

As for the 4th judge, how do you think they will break a tie if 2 like a person, and the 2 others don't?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

yay! i'm ready for another season
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY View Post
    As for the 4th judge, how do you think they will break a tie if 2 like a person, and the 2 others don't?
    In the case of a tie, Simon Cowell has the privilege of making the decision, yay or nay.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

^ which means thst more pretty girls get thrugh, from what I've read!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    In the case of a tie, Simon Cowell has the privilege of making the decision, yay or nay.
    Oh good. I generally agree with him.

• Minion

The New York Times has a great article that covers the changes to this season of American Idol:

“American Idol” this season will feature three rather than four weeks of auditions, moving on more quickly to the Hollywood round and spending less time featuring contestants whose sole purpose in auditioning seemed to be to make fools of themselves in front of the judges — which in most cases was the only way they were going to get on television.

[...]

The new judge is likely to be the most noticeable change in the atmosphere of the show, but it also has the potential to alter the results. Although the producers say Mr. Cowell will be given the tie-breaking vote in early rounds, Ms. DioGuardi said she had used her role to advance some contestants who were otherwise on the bubble, facing elimination.

“We would get into a situation where I knew Simon was probably going to say no, and if I said no, the kid would go home,” Ms. DioGuardi told reporters last week. “I do believe in second chances, but I would always tell them: ‘Look, you’re on thin ice here. If you don’t get it together, it’s not going to work out for you.’ ”

Viewers will also have the opportunity to give some contestants a second chance when it comes to the semifinal rounds, which this year will feature 36 contestants rather than 24 as in recent years. The singers will perform in groups of 12, with three contestants from each group who receive the most viewer votes — one female, one male and a third of either sex — moving on to the finals.

Then a fourth week of semifinals will feature the fourth-most-popular contestant from each of the previous weeks, as well as some “wild card” contestants who appeared promising to the judges but who might have simply had a bad night.

• love my friends

I am glad they are putting less emphasis on the bad singing portion of the auditions.

wayne was saying the same exact thing, what about a tie

but I am sooooooooo excited it starts tonight

Friends for life

• Circle of Ancients

An interesting article about changes this season:

When 'Idol' Becomes Idle - Yahoo! TV Blog

Fewer Trainwrecks
    In an effort to bring some more "credibility" to the show, fewer freaks (Mary Roach), delusional dorks (Michael Sandecki), and hot messes (William Hung) will be featured during the auditions.

VERDICT: Boo! Don't the producers realize that we voyeurs want to see as many sad clowns as possible? Guess not.

Character Development
    With Hollywood Week finally becoming Hollywood Weeks, we'll actually get to know the contestants and their stories, unlike in years past when the Top 12 could easily consist of strangers.

VERDICT: Yay! Remember when Kelly Clarkson came out of nowhere in the final few weeks of the first season? She had virtually zero TV time until the finals. Blasphemy! Thankfully, that shouldn't happen again.

Wild-Card Round
    For the first time since the show's second season, the judges will select the final three contestants that will comprise the Top 12.

VERDICT: Debatable. As much as I don't trust the public opinion (hello, Taylor Hicks), I think the judges have enough power as is. Shouldn't the viewers get to hand out the golden tickets? I dunno. This could be very good... or very, very bad.

Top 12
    With the semi-final round being comprised of 36 contestants -- as opposed to the usual 24 -- and with the judges determining the wild-cards, the makeup of the Top 12 won't necessarily be split evenly among males and females.

VERDICT: Finally! If more women (for example) deserve to make the finals, let them in! I think everyone is tired of the 6/6 split. The best singers should be in the finals. Not cute talentless hunks (Ace Young), not grandma-selected safe bets (Kevin Covais), and definitely not Sanjaya.

New Judge
    The new kid on the block is songwriter-producer Kara DioGuardi, the mastermind behind Xtina's "Ain't No Other Man," Gwen Stefani's "Rich Girl," and Pink's latest hit, "Sober." Will she rely on her professional experience like Randy? Will she battle with Simon? Will she ultimately replace Paula? (All parties deny this rumor). Will she tell it like it is and risk hurting the contestants' feelings?

VERDICT: Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Well, at least we hope so.

Shorter Results Show
    Wednesday night's results show will be pared down from one hour to 30 minutes.

VERDICT: Rejoice! Now you'll have more room on your DVRs for quality programming like "Rock of Love Bus" and "The Real Housewives of Orange County." Plus, you'll only have to fast-forward to the 26th minute of the show as opposed to the 56th!

Rumored Changes

Fewer Themes
    Rumor has it that viewers will no longer have to witness pop tarts trash country classics, crooners butcher Broadway tunes, and divas destroy Big Band standards.

VERDICT: Phew! We can handle Billboard's biggest hits, "songs from the year you were born" night and maybe a "movie soundtrack" theme, but an evening with Burt Bacharach must be banished!

Younger Mentors
    In a perfect world, Season 8's finalists won't have to pretend to know who Neil Diamond is, let alone sing songs from his infinite oeuvre. Same goes for Andrew Lloyd Webber and anyone else with liver spots.

VERDICT: This can't happen soon enough. Did the producers ever think to invite anyone other than an octogenarian to mentor the finalists? It's time. It's time to tell Kelly Clarkson that in order to help her with her comeback, she needs to remember where she came from and make a triumphant return to the "Idol" stage. It's time to enlist Rihanna and Chris Brown -- no matter the cost. It's time!

I have to say, I pretty much agree with all of the points of the blogger. I like the bad singers at the beginning. As far as "Mentors" Rihanna and Chris Brown ... eh, not so sure on that one. I think the "Mentors" need to be people who have been there, done that and not just a manufactured talent. So no Britney or Christina. How about people like Dave Matthews, Bono, Seal, etc. People that are still "relevant" but still have some time and experience under their belt.

• Winter in Oceanside...

I agree with all the points listed except for the "Trainwrecks". I for one, am SO glad to reduce the "I wanna be on TV talentless bores"!

• Circle of Ancients

Can't wait to watch tonight. I love the new changes.

• Circle of Ancients

I agree with all the points listed except for the "Trainwrecks". I for one, am SO glad to reduce the "I wanna be on TV talentless bores"!
    Yeah, those ones I don't like. The ones I like are the ones that are TERRIBLE, yet they THINK they are the best singers ever and get mad when they don't get chosen to go to Hollywood.

It's like, didn't anybody from their friends or family ever tell them they suck? And would let them go on National TV to get embarassed??

• Animation Domination

sir clinksalot Wrote:

It's like, didn't anybody from their friends or family ever tell them they suck? And would let them go on National TV to get embarassed??
    It may be possible that their friends and family members do tell them that they suck. Being young they are probably stubborn and want to prove a point that they do not suck. Most of the time contestants think they are good because they hear themselves sing and yet they really aren’t any good. These horrible singer contestants should tape record themselves singing and watch it back on TV before they audition.

I have to agree, I don't think it's the smartest idea for a show that wants to reclaim some of its ratings to stop showing the trainwreck auditions. That is what a lot of people who aren't loyal followers want to see. I guess we'll see tonight of how much of a change it will be.

• Delawarean Girl

For later:
    Spoiler

The "Yes" seems to win if there is a tie. They actually do this doing the show.

Also for later to read:

Spoiler
    I don't like the new judge (Kara). I'm sorry. I never really liked being told there was going to be another judge from the start. It's like why? They were awesome with just three and she made it hard to enjoy American Idol for me at times too.

Page 1 of 56 1234112651 ... LastLast