Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Mischievous Mouse

Re: Mouse Ears, and not Rabbit Ears? MC'ers and "the digital switch"

We only had rabbit ears growing up. Infact the first time I had cable tv or a IR remote control box was in 1986 , I was 22. That same year I bought my first VCR, it was $329.99 and I had to finance it.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    $50 a month for BASIC cable? That is a serious rip-off. My cable company does basic cable for like $10 a month.
    OFF TOPIC -

I know that things are somewhat cheaper sometimes in Florida, but that's a seriously good deal. For local broadcast channels, plus the 'basic cable' channels (admittedly more than many cable systems) I pay about 50 a month not counting HBO. Or the "regional sports" or any PPV or "Sunday ticket" or MLB or anything like that.

And that is competitive with local cable outlets.

-- Barry

Is it more TV than anyone should probably be watching? Maybe, But it's also about choice - and aside from sports, and a few other shows, I'm among those not satisfied with most regular network fare.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Minion

I have cable in the livingroom and my son's room. I have a little analog TV in my bedroom, but I only put it on for 5 minutes in the morning when I'm getting dressed for work. I'm not going to bother getting any converter for it. I plan on putting my portable DVD player in its spot and "try" exercising when I get home instead. :P
    I want my cake back!

• Shablagoo!

It took an act of government for my parents to get cable TV. They have been running off an antenna for years. They just got cable last night. I had fun showing the On Demand stuff to Dad. Right now they are pushing 'fanboys" and they have the trailer for the original Star Wars. We have watched that a few times now.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Seriously?
    I'm so sick of hearing about this!!!!
    I'm surprised at the number of you guys who don't have cable
    I didn't have it growing up, my parents didn't even get it until they moved in 1996. Ah the fun times of turning the antennae LOL
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• phbbbbbt

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    Seriously?
    I won't ever have cable. My kids are almost 10, almost 5, and almost 1, and we homeschool. We don't watch much TV because there's just not much on, and if we had cable, we would fall back into the bad habit of having it on all the time. My husband would like to have things like the History channel, but he does things like subject us all to watching The Seven Samuari (on a saturday afternoon, without asking if we want to watch), and if we had cable, he'd have something on that nobody else wants to watch, so I'd be parenting the kids all alone, like I do when he's at work. Not gonna happen. Besides, my library has a lot of documentaries on DVD, so when I need something on a specific subject, I can usually find it.

Oh, and I'm cheap too, and can find a lot of better things to spend $50/month on than more channels.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    Seriously?
    I didn't have it growing up, my parents didn't even get it until they moved in 1996. Ah the fun times of turning the antennae LOL
    I remember that. We didn't get cable until we moved here to Ohio. I HATED turning the antennae, even more so for PAX TV (that short-lived station) because I have to turn it really far back to get good reception to watch my 3 shows that were on there and they were never crystal clear (I was thankful when 1 of 3 shows came onto dvd).
    My grandma has the rabbit ears on her two tv's. The last time we went to visit her we got the boxes and hooked them up for her.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12