Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Mouse Ears, and not Rabbit Ears? MC'ers and "the digital switch"

As I am sure that media savvy MiceChatters are aware, local TV stations make the switch to digital broadcasting in mid-February.

Do we have anybody here that still receives TV through a good old analog antenna, or with "rabbit ears", tin foil and the like? In other words, needing one of those new-fangled converter boxes?

In one report, I heard someone say that this hadn't been publicized enough.

Maybe I watch more TV than I should, but it seems like especially now it's almost impossible to miss the reminders.

Thoughts?

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: Mouse Ears, and not Rabbit Ears? MC'ers and "the digital switch"

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    As I am sure that media savvy MiceChatters are aware, local TV stations make the switch to digital broadcasting in mid-February.

Do we have anybody here that still receives TV through a good old analog antenna, or with "rabbit ears", tin foil and the like? In other words, needing one of those new-fangled converter boxes?

In one report, I heard someone say that this hadn't been publicized enough.

Maybe I watch more TV than I should, but it seems like especially now it's almost impossible to miss the reminders.

Thoughts?

-- Barry
    Should be impossible for analog viewers to miss the commercials. Then again, it should be impossible for few if any television viewers to not know who the president, vice-president and their state's governor is. Millions remain clueless to this end. This is because they have sets or watch the sets of others. But, they either seldomely watch tv, or else have a low attention span when they do.

Bottom line, it's almost inevitable that the complaints will not mount until digital takes over.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Should be impossible for analog viewers to miss the commercials. Then again, it should be impossible for few if any television viewers to not know who the president, vice-president and their state's governor is. Millions remain clueless to this end. This is because they have sets or watch the sets of others. But, they either seldomely watch tv, or else have a low attention span when they do.

Bottom line, it's almost inevitable that the complaints will not mount until digital takes over.
    Point taken.

I've got a sattelite/DVR converter box, so I'm among those that "don't have to worry". And I think I'm seeing the same messages and reminders that the analog folks are. ALOT of them.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Point taken.

I've got a sattelite/DVR converter box, so I'm among those that "don't have to worry". And I think I'm seeing the same messages and reminders that the analog folks are. ALOT of them.
    Do you own the converter box, or does it come free with the services of a company?

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Do you own the converter box, or does it come free with the services of a company?
    I pay a monthly service fee to DirecTV for the DVR/TiVO service.

• Iron-Clad Allie

I pay a monthly service fee to DirecTV for the DVR/TiVO service.
    Are there a lot of channels available? Foreign, too. We have quite a few channels with our cable service. Nada foreign, though.

Guess free tv's goose will soon be cooked.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I've seen plenty of commercials on the local broadcast channels about the switch. I've even heard plenty of radio commercials about the switch.

What I don't get are the commercials that DirecTV and Dish network run, that only their customers can see, about the switch that doesn't affect them. Are people so clueless that these are really needed?

My 12 year old brother uses a set of rabbit ears. He's been asking our parents for a converter box, but to no avail. I kind of want to watch his TV on the night of the 16th and see it cut off at midnight.

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

We still have the old fashioned roof antenna. We got the converter box months ago and are very happy with it.

I understand the President wants to have the switch put off for awhile because the government ran out of the $40 coupons and a lot of people put this off. I've seen commercials and announcements all over for the switch. I just don't think they pay attention and/or understand.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I can't remember when I didn't have cable. Had it since at least the late 70's.

And my complex offers free basic cable, so I just pay the difference for the digital (which you get lots more channels with), the hi-def package (you get a handful of extra cable & movie channels... basic cable hi-def channels are free), a DVR and my internet.

I wish my cable company offered JapanTV though. I love staying at the WDW resorts just because they carry this channel. The nighttime programming is HIGHLY entertaining.

• Senior Minion

I saw the commercials all the time. Back at my house I had the old antenna still hooked up to my TV, while the other TV's had DirecTV, and got a converter box. The box worked great and didn't have a problem.

Now that I moved my antenna gets no signal, DirecTV (which I tried to get) gets no signal, and that leaves me with Time Warner. I don't watch much TV so I decided not to pay $50 a month for basic cable - so I don't watch TV anymore and stick mostly to talk radio.

In the end now the change won't even really effect me.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

We have good old Time Warner also. (also in Simi ) I hate them so much. I'd drop them like a hot coal except that we need the cable modem and I watch the Daily Show more faithfully than any other program.

Our big HD set and the smaller HD set upstairs are fine with the new digital, and the 2 extras that we use for gaming, etc...it really doesn't matter.

I understand the government has run out of coupons and funds for the program and that Pres. Obama is indeed considering postponing the start date of the changeover. We'll see, I guess.

• Senior Minion

I just don't really understand why the switch over will be delayed because people didn't get their coupons or boxes. TV really isn't that important, or the only source of information, to justify this delay in the switch.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Are there a lot of channels available? Foreign, too. We have quite a few channels with our cable service. Nada foreign, though.

Guess free tv's goose will soon be cooked.
    DirecTV gets basically every American cable channel that there is. No "foreign" that I am aware of outside of what's available with the "local channels" package that includes all the broadcast and "UHF" channels in your given region as part of the deal. In the greater LA area that would include Spanish (Univision, Telemundo) among others.

And "free" TV won't be going anywhere. I'm assuming that any channels available with an antenna will still be available...you'll just need the converter box.

I've had cable orsattelite for almost 30 years, not only for programming choice but because where I live, reception of broadcast channels is limited to one or two stations.

-- Barry

• phbbbbbt

Yep! We have rabbit ears, they sit on top of our TV. I didn't get a coupon earlier because I'm cheap and didn't want to spend money on a box until I had to, plus the coupons are only good for 90 days and I was afraid if I ordered one, we might not buy our box in that window.

So, just a couple of weeks ago, I saw an article that said they had run out of coupons, and we're planning on buying a box soon, so I went to apply. We should get ours in the middle of March. They haven't actually run out, it's that there is a limit to how much money can be tied up in funding. As coupons expire (actually giftcards), the funds are released and they can issue new coupons. They were asked months ago if they had enough funding, even if everyone waited until the last minute, and said yes, that they wouldn't run out of coupons, whoops!
    xo, Deanna

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by TikiRoomLiz View Post
    I don't watch much TV so I decided not to pay $50 a month for basic cable - so I don't watch TV anymore and stick mostly to talk radio.
    $50 a month for BASIC cable? That is a serious rip-off. My cable company does basic cable for like $10 a month.

I pay $55 a month, but that's mainly for my internet. If I didn't have that, my cable bill would probably be around $15-$20 a month for the DVR, extra digital channels and hi-def pack.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast