• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

"Everybody Loves Raymond"...well, at least I do.

And the King Of Queens too!

Believe it or not, I am discovering these shows for the first time, in reruns. Never watched either when they were in "prime time".

I have come to love Raymond, especially and can see why this show lasted nine seasons. This may be the best of the 90's phenomenon of shows based on a standup comic (others that come to mind are Roseanne (overrated in my view), Home Improvement (Tim Allen), Grace Under Fire (Brett Butler), Ellen (Ellen D.) and Mad About You (Paul Reiser).

I find the writing for "Raymond" to be usually quite good, and the ensemble is terrific. Yes, it borders on crass at times (and I'm prudish enough where the "sex" talk still makes me blush a bit).

But unlike other shows, when it approaches the line, it seems to teeter a bit, but then come back.

Your thoughts?

-- Barry

PS...I have developed a "crush" on Patricia Heaton (Debra). My first serious TV crush since Sharon Gless (in the role of Christine Cagney, so it's been a while)...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Re: "Everybody Loves Raymond"...well, at least I do.

"Raymond" is on my list of all time favorites!

• Is it summer yet???

I LOVE ELRaymond! I have almost all of the complete seasons on DVD (which reminds me, I just saw a season at Circuit City that I do not have - must go back). When the show ended, they did a commentary and Ray Romano said that he got a lot of his material from his own life and wife!! I think a main force of enjoyment for me is that I can relate (a little too much sometimes) to Debra and Ray. And Ray's mom!! OMG, can you say my Mother-in-law??? When we were watching it the other night, it was so much my MIL, that I couldn't even look her in the eye for fear that she'd read my mind!!!

I didn't care that much for King of Queens when it first aired but I am enjoying it more in reruns.
    Rally Rat, Oh how I've missed thee!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I didn't watch "ELR" until it was in it's last two seasons. Don't know why it took so long to discover that great show. I think it will age real well over the years. And watching the reruns are just as enjoyable.

KoQ just doesn't rank anywhere near Raymond.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GoofyWife View Post
    I LOVE ELRaymond! I have almost all of the complete seasons on DVD (which reminds me, I just saw a season at Circuit City that I do not have - must go back). When the show ended, they did a commentary and Ray Romano said that he got a lot of his material from his own life and wife!! .
    It was on for nine seawsons, right? It's interesting to watch the reruns on the local LA channel, which are in a later season than the ones on TBS are.

As with the other shows I mentioned, it does say in the credits that the show is based on Ray Romano's comedy...which I'm sure has plenty of his own life experiences in it.

I'd also like to single out Brad Garrett, who did such a wonderful job in a demanding role as Ray's brother Robert. I just the other night saw the episode where Marie "accidentally" scorched his lucky suit, and then faxed a letter to the FBI when he was being interviewed for a position. The look on his face when he came home - priceless.

"This was the FBI, Ma. I wasn't applying for a job at the GAP"!

That may be my favorite episode thus far. Subject to change.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

this is one of the classic show i always watch and will still watch..
    just do what you think...

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    I
    I'd also like to single out Brad Garrett, who did such a wonderful job in a demanding role as Ray's brother Robert.
    Brad was awesome in ELR... but his own show was such a disappointment.

I enjoyed KoQ when it was first on air, but it didn't hold up as well in reruns for me.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I'll sometimes watch King of Queens, but I'm not one of the "Everyone" who loves Raymond. He gets on my nerves more than Jerry Seinfeld does (if that's possible).