• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

A Heads Up to Mars fans: "Ashes to Ashes" makes debut

The reference is to the TV show "Life On Mars". Looking back on it I can see where the title of this thread may have been misleading. That was not intentional.

I was a fan of "Life on Mars" in its original form on BBC America, and was just starting to warm up to the ABC version when, in another class act, those Disney guys pulled the plug on yet another imaginative and well-done show.

Well, it just so happens that it's time to go back to London, and this time it's back to 1981.

from bbcamerica.com:

It’s 1981 - the year of Princess Diana’s wedding, the Brixton Riots, the invasion of yuppies - and the year that everyone’s favorite politically incorrect cop Gene Hunt takes the London Metropolitan police force by storm. Flanked by his faithful sidekicks, Ray Carling (Dean Andrews, Life On Mars) and Chris Skelton (Marshall Lancaster, Life On Mars), he has been transferred down South, to the action and intrigue of the London Met. It’s bad enough having to deal with the “southern nancy” criminal scum, but an even bigger thorn in his side is about to be foisted on him in the shape of a sexy, strong-willed and intelligent officer from the 21st Century.
    Ambitious single mother, Detective Inspector Alex Drake has risen rapidly through the ranks of the Met in the modern world of 2008, where her skills as a psychological profiler are valued highly as an aid to capturing suspects. But she is ripped from her current world of high tech, sexual equality and respect when she is kidnapped and shot. Suddenly, Alex finds herself in 1981, interacting with familiar characters from her past and from the detailed reports she’s been studying, logged by none other than Sam Tyler. In two-tone ‘80s London with a New Romantic soundtrack ringing in her ears, Alex finds herself working with the boorish Gene Hunt himself, whose methods of nailing villains and whose opinions of women detectives and psychological profilers are still stuck in the Stone Age.

While some of Gene’s team has dispersed, others, loyal as ever, are still in tow. Now a technological whizz-kid in the squad’s surveillance team, DC Chris Skelton has clearly moved with the times, along with a tight-permed DS Ray Carling, who is keen to experience London’s nightlife. Frustrated by each other’s stubbornness, the friction between Alex and Gene heats up. But, as the two titans collide, it becomes apparent there is more than just a professional tension emerging.
    If this is as good as the original LOM, it should be another treat.

But again, nice going ABC.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Re: A Heads Up to Mars fans: "Ashes to Ashes" makes debut

Oh man, I thought this was a thread on David Bowie! Oh well.

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

First of all, I missed that they canceled this show. Lately they've been showing teasers for new shows that will be premiering later this month or next or something. I have decided I'm not going to watch them. I refuse to invest myself in another show only to have it ripped out from under me, aka Pushing Daisies.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I thought the first episode of "Ashes" was quite well done. Anyone else see it?

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.