Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Jay Leno's new show

What are people's thoughts of it?

Spoiler
    I'm watching it right now...not too bad, very similar to the old show. I find it a little odd with the set and no desk. Seinfeld was funny and was good to see Kevin Eubanks and the (now) Primetime Band, and familiar skits like Headlines will be returning.

Also, Kanye West's unfortunate scheduling made him a guest. Fake interview and fake tears.

Overall, I don't think I need to tune in every night, but a nice diversion if nothing else on at 10PM.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• For You!

Re: Jay Leno's new show

I thought, for a first show, it was really boring. I didn't like the chair set up either.

Also, the Kanye interview....Either it was set up (and since you mentioned it Yoyo, now it does seem staged), or Jay hit a low blow bringing Kanye's mother into the conversation. But, someone did need to put the big mouth into his place.

But, I don't know that i even want to watch another show.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Circle of Ancients

It's the Tonight Show with a new name. I was actually bored to death and turned it off about 10:30.

• Dreams do come true

Boring...... He had a great oppertunity to try something different and break this tired talk show format and he failed.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

The car wash part was pretty funny. The rest was the same old-same old.
    A signature should go here.

• we jumped out a window

I deliberately did not watch the first one because of one of the scheduled guests.

I'll watch tonight's though.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

I thought the car wash thing was the worst! Other than amusing myself recognizing bits of scenery from when I used to live very close by, I was bored or worse by that whole bit.

The show overall seems sort of 'same old'. That isn't necessarily bad, but it isn't good either. I watched it to give it a chance, and because if I see David Caruso do the 'take-sunglasses-off-to-look-dramatic' routine one more time I'll punch his face.

Maybe more interesting guests will help. If you want a show to look fresh, you don't have Jerry Seinfeld as your big guest. The whole Kanye thing was painful. More and better guests will help a great deal. Maybe he can get some of them to do something instead of just sitting in a chair.

I'll give it a few more tries now and then and hopefully it will improve. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't great either. Although I don't think NBC expected great.

• living in the sprawl

Blog Entries

I really enjoyed Jerry Seinfeld but that's about it.

• Circle of Ancients

Even Seinfeld was wondering why he was the first guest. He's absolutely right, he hasn't been on TV in 11 years, has no major projects coming out, nothing to promote, etc.

• Pilot EdForceOne

I am just blown away NBC is allowing their crown jewel to be devalued by having an earlier show try to rob it's audience, reuse its content, and put it in direct competition to it by allowing viewers to goto bed earlier.

I get they scrambled to not throw Jay away when they later regreted their previous promises about OBrian... but to put together a show like this really must feel like a knife in the back to Conan and I bet he feels the network isn't behind him at all anymore.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• 60 Dazzling Years!

Quote Originally Posted by SusieP. View Post
    The car wash part was pretty funny. The rest was the same old-same old.
    That used to be my regular car wash. I liked the car wash thing, though it could havee been a little shorter. The best part about that bit was Jay Leno wasn't in it. The rest of the show seemed like Jay's old show just on a new set. I didn't watch the Tonight Show with him hosting, so I won't be watching this show.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I am just blown away NBC is allowing their crown jewel to be devalued by having an earlier show try to rob it's audience, reuse its content, and put it in direct competition to it by allowing viewers to goto bed earlier.

I get they scrambled to not throw Jay away when they later regreted their previous promises about OBrian... but to put together a show like this really must feel like a knife in the back to Conan and I bet he feels the network isn't behind him at all anymore.
    I completely agree.

• Banned User

I sure hope NBC feels stupid, because once the television season starts and Private Practice and The Mentalist begin.. Jay's show will probably take a serious hit in the ratings department. Of course.. it's still cheaper to produce that an actual series.. maybe it'll remain worth their while.

Besides... didn't the guy behind this decision get fired? The same guy responsible for such winners like the Bionic Woman and Knight Rider remakes?

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OC2Epcot View Post
    That used to be my regular car wash. I liked the car wash thing, though it could havee been a little shorter.
    Definitely agree with that. And yeah, I don't quite understand why NBC is potentially cutting off its nose to spite its face. Even Jerry Seinfeld cracked that NBC was going to put him in a show at 9:00 now, as if to further undercut the programming.

Besides that, a show every night at 10:00? That's a prime viewing hour. Why book it up with the same old thing, instead of coming up with an entirely new franchise?
    A signature should go here.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by stitchon View Post
    I sure hope NBC feels stupid, because once the television season starts and Private Practice and The Mentalist begin.. Jay's show will probably take a serious hit in the ratings department. Of course.. it's still cheaper to produce that an actual series.. maybe it'll remain worth their while.

Besides... didn't the guy behind this decision get fired? The same guy responsible for such winners like the Bionic Woman and Knight Rider remakes?
    Cheaper to produce yes ... less advertising revenue ... most definitely.

As for ratings, the Tonight Show had an average per night rating of 5.7 million viewers. As a comparison, Knight Rider, even though it was considered a "Flop" had 7.5 million viewers.

The amount of people it takes to make a "Prime Time" hit is MUCH more than to make a late-night show a hit.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Wow, I enjoyed it! I thought it was funny and I thought Jay seemed to have more spunk than he did before. He totally pwned Kanye I thought, which was awesome.

I will for sure Tivo it, if not watch it when it's on. I have serious doubts about it being able to stand up in primetime, but I hope it does!
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast