Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

V (remake of 80's Mini-Series)

Nobody has started a thread on this yet? I'm shocked!!!

Who else is watching? We watched the premiere last night and I thought it rocked. Absolutely kept with the spirit of the original with some new stuff thrown in to make it it's own.

I'm the only one who has seen the original but I'm debating renting them so the rest of the house can see them. But then again, not sure I want to ruin anything. Maybe I'll wait a few weeks.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Re: V (remake of 80's Mini-Series)

I am looking forward to watching the rest of tthe series. I thought the first show was good. I was a huge fan of the original mini series, and spent some of last weekend re-watching it on Syfy. So far, I am not dissappointed. I was so pleased to see a Lostie on it
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Minion

I like it so far! Great to see Inara and Wash too!
    I want my cake back!

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

I wasn't blown over but I enjoyed it and will defintely keep watching.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I enjoyed it very much and I look forward to watching how they incorporate some stories from the original. I think (whats her name) from Lost is great for the role she's in and it started off really well for me.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I'd like to see it, maybe we can DL it?

•   
    • Seasick

I loved the original four-hour mini-series, very much liked the six-hour follow-up, and even enjoyed the camp-tastic TV show when I was young. The original TV show with the shoulder pads and big hair doesn't exactly hold up, but it is what it is.

A big challenge for me is getting used to the new show. I've watched the original many many times, so it will take some adjusting, just as it took time for me to enjoy and love the remake of The Office for example.

I watched the new show twice to get a feel for it. The cast is good and the production values are great - this isn't a cheesy sci-fi show. The writing could use some work, but it's a decent start.

My first impression was that it was so-so. My biggest gripe is that everything happened way too quickly. The original series took some time to build suspense, establish the characters, establish the resistance, etc.

I understand they need to grab an audience quickly, but I wish they'd done a two-hour pilot. The aliens arrived and were embraced so quickly, the resistance was established overnight. It felt too quick and didn't feel realistic enough as a result.

I watched it a second time and was more forgiving. I think the show has great potential.

I like some of the changes. The notion that the aliens have been here for years sowing discontent is intrigueing.

The concept of a biased media serving as a mouthpiece for the visitors is as relevant as ever. Glad they're tackling some issues and giving depth to the series, as the best sci-fi has always done.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Circle of Ancients

^ I thought by having the notion that the resistance was already being established worked though. But yes, I agree that it was too quick. Unfortunately TV Audiences need something more exciting in 2009 than they did in 1983. Also TV Executives aren't as willing to give things a chance as they were in 1983.

•   
    • Seasick

I can forgive the somewhat rushed feel of establishing the show. They actually only produced four shows, and are working on improving the show (there is a new show-runner I believe). The initial four epiosdes will be all, unless the ratings are good.

Fortunately, the new series debuted to strong numbers so I expect we'll see the show continue. Hindsight being 20-20, I think a two-hour premiere which took things a little slower would have still been a hit, and maybe felt like more of an event.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Interesting that the folks in charge have been let go, and now folks from the show "Chuck" are heading up production of the next 9 episodes (the ones that will air in March, after the first 4 that have already been filmed).

http://blastmagazine.com/the-magazin...-successful-v/

But ABC has decided only to air four episodes this fall. It will hold the remaining episodes for March — March — until after the NBC Winter Olympics coverage. Also, news came recently that the producers, who made “V” the ratings and popular success it is, are departing the show. “Chuck” executive producer Scott Rosenbaum will join the series as executive producer and showrunner, to pick up production, which was halted for what ABC called a “creative hiatus.”
    ABC only filmed the fourth episode of “V” a few weeks ago, and the show will not go back into production — they won’t film the rest of the episodes — until January.
    I have no explanation for any of this. Usually if a show debuts with the best ratings of the season you leave it alone and let the magic happen. This move reeks of no uncertain lack of confidence on ABC’s part.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I remember watching the original in elementary school. I remember my whole class could NOT stop talking about when that lady gave birth to that alien lizard baby. YEOW!

• or CBF

I went into this not knowing what to expect because I haven't seen the original (I was born in '89). I thought this new version was very well done. I can't wait to see what comes of it.
    MHTSEIAHTECTESVEIBIECSETR

Find me on:Facebook / Twitter
    (Send me a message saying you are from MC)

• MC State Comptroller

I loved the original (Mini-series, Final battle, & TV series). I own all three and watch them at least once a year (I sometimes skip the TV series).

This new one, I'm not too keen on. I thought the acting was great, story was good (updated for a new trained audience), but the whole series seemed forced and lacking.

Every time the FBI agents son saw the female youth leader i swore i could hear Luther Vandross singing in the background.

The whole terrorist sleeper cell thing, i felt was pointless.

And no uniforms, what did all the mothership's stop at an outlet mall before coming to Earth? "Oh look Armani!"

I will probably watch the remaining episodes, or at least Tivo them, but this show is like the original in minor premise only. I think i'll watch the originals instead of this.
    "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

Arizona Cardinals 2008 NFC Champions

• Animation Domination

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    I remember watching the original in elementary school. I remember my whole class could NOT stop talking about when that lady gave birth to that alien lizard baby. YEOW!
    That part looked so fake. The alien lizard baby was just a plastic toy.
    "You are watching FOX"

•   
    • Seasick

Quote Originally Posted by sgtpeper View Post
    And no uniforms, what did all the mothership's stop at an outlet mall before coming to Earth? "Oh look Armani!"

I will probably watch the remaining episodes, or at least Tivo them, but this show is like the original in minor premise only. I think i'll watch the originals instead of this.
    Armani indeed, lol. And where are the shoulder pads?

I think you're like me, in that the original is so ingrained in your mind and you like it so much that it will take getting used to the new one.

I'm going to keep an open mind and stick with the new one. Even if it doesn't live up to the original movie, it has to be better than the first TV series.

And please, no human-alien hybrid children with magical powers...

Speaking of the original, the creator holds the movie rights and is apparently still trying to get a movie financed. He also wrote a novel a few years back picking up after the first mini-series, continuing the story the way he wanted to.

I also read that they've spoken to Jane Badler (Diana!) about being in the new show, as a different character. That'd be awesome.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast