• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

The Academy - Orange County Fire

I loved the original "Academy" series, on the Fox Reality Channel, which followed a class going through the Los Angeles County Sheriff's academy. It was very well done, and showed the rigors of what cadets had to go through.

I've not seen this new version yet. I'm DVR'ing the first three episodes tomorrow (11/7) to get caught up.

Anybody seen this yet? I wonder if they use the fire training facility that's just off of Orangewood Avenue, across the street from Angel Stadium.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: The Academy - Orange County Fire

Has anyone else seen this?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Well, I've seen the first three episodes, and it looks like there are more than a few recruits who might have chosen the wrong line of work.

In the meantime - about the show...
    The Fox Reality Channel brings firefighters an exciting new reality series beginning October 24th. "The Academy:Orange County Fire" follows firefighting recruits through the Orange County Fire Authority's rigorous Fire Academy as they fight for a select number of positions in one of the nation's largest fire departments.

This eighteen week series features the Orange County Fire Authority's Academy Class 36, a group of 28 recruits who are working to become firefighters. Chosen from approximately 2,800 applicants these men are the best of the best, and must undergo rigorous physical and mental training. Some of those chosen came to the fire academy with prior firefighting experience, while others did not. As with most fire departments, OCFA's Academy experiences a 20% dropout rate, and viewers of the show will be able to watch the recruits' journey both in the classroom and at home.

Captain Mike Contreras, the OCFA Fire Academy Coordinator and one of the stars of the show, explains, "It shows the extreme nature of our job. It shows the different fire conditions, so I think from that standpoint, we will be able to show the public some of the physical, mental demands of our jobs."
    fdnntv.com

• Banned User

Reality TV? DVRing? OK, who are you and what have you done with Barry's body?

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    Reality TV? DVRing? OK, who are you and what have you done with Barry's body?
    Look, the guy needed a makeover. We just...helped him along in getting in step with the times.

We also have him watching Ramsasy's Kitchen Nightmares, Hell's Kitchen and Project Runway on the guise that he's just watching while his wife has them on...

But now, back to the Academy...I hope someone else here is watching it.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I was filmed for one of the episodes but they didn't have me sign a release. I was hoping they used my image so I could ask for some money but no such luck. I met one-on-one with every recruit but I haven't seen the show. One of my coworkers gives me updates on the show.

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

I just wish this show was available on DVD! So far, no such luck.

In regards to the location of the academy itself, it is in South Whittier.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MissChristine View Post
    I just wish this show was available on DVD! So far, no such luck.

In regards to the location of the academy itself, it is in South Whittier.
    I imagine it'll be out on DVD once the season's over.

Do you get FOX reality Channel?

EDIT: Is that the Sheriff's Academy you're referring to, in South Whittier? I believe that the OCFA academy is in Irvine.
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 11-13-2009 at 11:21 AM.