• Banned User

Wow A Disney Special ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I just attempted to watch a special on ABC, the subject of which was the great Disney 2D animated films. Now wouldn't you think that'd be a GREAT special, full of wonderful animated history and insightful commentary?

Yeah, you'd THINK.

But what I SAW was a TEDIOUS hour-long commercial full of the kind of sappy commentary that infests Extreme Makeover and WORSE , it was commentary by TWITS. Like Whoopee Goldberg (how is she still in show business?), some Disney tween star whose name means nothing to me, Jamie Lee Curtis (why was she there?), Kirsten Chenowith (spelling? OH, does it really matter?) that loud chef Emeril guy (man, he's hard to take in a close-up) and a couple of black actors I"m not acquainted with. And they said stupid sappy things, non-stop. Interspersed with very brief clips of classic Disney animation. About halfway through this "special", I yelled at the TV : "SHUT UP AND SHOW THE CARTOON!" The whole thing reminded me, most unhappily, of the treacly DVD of Walt Disney world I received when I was planning my vacation. All these people saying syrupy stomach-turning platitudes about "wishes" and "magic" and blah blah. Hey, I love WDW. It's amazing. But MAN that DVD turned me off.

The only person on that "special" who had anything interesting to say was Dick Van Dyke, who actually worked as an actor on Walt's most celebrated film - Mary Poppins. He was warm and wonderful. And, despite his advanced age, he actually looked better than most of the rest of the cast (especially Emeril. Ack!) Why didn't the special focus on him, and perhaps on the voice of Pinocchio, who's still alive, and more, MUCH more, on the animators and producers of that Frog movie? That would have been 100 times more interesting than that boring infomercial.

It's just another indication that the new regime at Disney haven't the SLIGHTEST understanding of Walt's legacy. Walt himself would have hated this "special". He knew crap when he saw it.

• My prices are INSANE!

Re: Wow A Disney Special ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Network television is utter crap.

I haven't watched anything on ABC, CBS, or NBC in a long time.

It's a shame that "Synergy" has sucked the life blood out of Disney and every other network out there.
    Oh well, Corporate Executive's got to eat too.
    Crazy Larry loves ya! ......Hurry up before they lock me up!

Stop by my website
    http://www.ericedunn.com/

Negative much?

I didn't even know this was on till I caught the last 10 minutes of it accidentally. Looked pretty good and I was bummed that I missed it actually. Never saw a mention of it anywhere.

Is it possible to read on MC without someone speculating on what Walt would have hated? I mean seriously I am as big a fan as anyone here of Walt and everthing he helped launch, but lets get real here he produced more than a few stinkers in his time. If you think that any of the specials Walt produced were anything less than the glorified commercials, that are constant complaints of today, than perhaps you never really watched what Uncle Walt made. Without having seen the whole special I can't say for sure it was a bomb of a special, but what I saw got me even more excited for the new Princess and the Frog release. MC used to be a great resource for getting info about everything Disney, in advance but I didn't see one single post here that mentioned this was going to be on. Instead we get the typical rant and whine thread that MC has become better known for.
    Last edited by Disney Magic; 12-05-2009 at 09:02 AM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Magic View Post
    Negative much?

I didn't even know this was on till I caught the last 10 minutes of it accidentally. Looked pretty good and I was bummed that I missed it actually. Never saw a mention of it anywhere.

Is it possible to read on MC without someone speculating on what Walt would have hated? I mean seriously I am as big a fan as anyone here of Walt and everthing he helped launch, but lets get real here he produced more than a few stinkers in his time. If you think that any of the specials Walt produced were anything less than the glorified commercials, that are constant complaints of today, than perhaps you never really watched what Uncle Walt made. Without having seen the whole special I can't say for sure it was a bomb of a special, but what I saw got me even more excited for the new Princess and the Frog release. MC used to be a great resource for getting info about everything Disney, in advance but I didn't see one single post here that mentioned this was going to be on. Instead we get the typical rant and whine thread that MC has become better known for.
    Hey, if you caught only 10 minutes of it, I can understand why it didn't get under your skin. But any more than that, and aye carumba!

I have seen a lot of Walt's specials, and they were far superior to the one last night. One reason was..well, Walt. He was more intelligent, more engaging, more knowledgable, and more charismatic than all of the "celebrities" combined (with the exception of Van Dyke). The other reason is that Walt put on a good show; he showed us what he was doing, talked about why he was doing it, and showed us the mechanics behind it. All the "celebrities" did last night was a bunch of very phony reminiscing. Feh. What a total waste of time.

In addition: the special did very badly in the ratings, as did the Muppets Christmas special. From the website Live Feed:

CBS won the evening, with "Ghost Whisperer" (8.2 million, 1.9), "Medium" (7 million, 1.8) and "Numbers" (7.4 million, 1.6) continuing to slump. NBC had "Muppet Christmas: Letters to Santa" special (4.3 million, 1.1), which was no "Bohemian Rhapsody," along with "Dateline" (6.3 million, 1.5) and a steady "Jay Leno" (4.8 million, 1.3). ABC aired a Disney animation special (3.7 million, 0.9). "Ugly Betty" (4.2 million, 1.2) may be moving to Wednesdays, but the news didn't much help its ratings. "20/20" (5.7 million, 1.6) also aired.

What this portends for Disney's future plans for the Muppets is pretty negative. If the Muppets can't even bring viewers in for a Christmas special, they're done for.

•   
    • Seasick

Quote Originally Posted by Magenta Panther View Post
    What this portends for Disney's future plans for the Muppets is pretty negative. If the Muppets can't even bring viewers in for a Christmas special, they're done for.
    The Muppets were a re-run, the show debuted last year, and was released on DVD this year. I believe it did pretty well when it first aired.

The Muppets aren't done for yet, not by a longshot.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    The Muppets were a re-run, the show debuted last year, and was released on DVD this year. I believe it did pretty well when it first aired.

The Muppets aren't done for yet, not by a longshot.
    So, Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer has been in reruns for about 4 decades, is also on DVD, and got 10 million viewers this year. My point is, after all the hype over the Bohemian Rhapsody video that aired over Thanksgiving, plus a couple of appearances by the puppets to promote the Xmas special, it still bombed. Nostalgia will only carry a property so far. Only quality is truly timeless.

• Senior Minion

I think the sole purpose of the special was to promote The Princess and the Frog. Everything they showed came back to that in one way or another.
    We didn't get it in our area (some areas did, some didn't), so I watched it on youtube.
    Although, I will say that I thought Vanessa Williams was one of the better hosts than they have used in the past.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

•   
    • Seasick

Quote Originally Posted by Magenta Panther View Post
    So, Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer has been in reruns for about 4 decades, is also on DVD, and got 10 million viewers this year. My point is, after all the hype over the Bohemian Rhapsody video that aired over Thanksgiving, plus a couple of appearances by the puppets to promote the Xmas special, it still bombed. Nostalgia will only carry a property so far. Only quality is truly timeless.
    Which may only mean that this latest Muppets Christmas special (which I quite like, for what it's worth) is not considered a classic along the lines of Rudolph.

Whatever the case, I think it's insufficient reason to say the Muppets are "done for".

If the Muppets continue to provide quality entertainment, I'm hopeful they'll be a popular franchise again.

And, uh, back on topic, how about that Disney Special?
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/