• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

NBC's "The Sing Off" - Thoughts and Reactions

Just wondering if anyone out there is watching "The Sing Off" on NBC. As I direct a group that is very similar to the groups performing on this show, I was interested to hear what your thoughts are after watching it. Are any of you into the whole a cappella thing, or does it do nothing for you? Can you see this competition coming back for a second season? Did you enjoy any of the performances, or do you see it as more of a joke, a la Andy Bernard from "The Office." Thoughts? Comments?

• Banned User

Re: NBC's "The Sing Off" - Thoughts and Reactions

It just seems like a big attempt to cash in on the singing thing now that Glee is such a cash cow. Typical NBC, coming in late to the party.

• "I Break Things"

I would rather they get the sound effects guy from Police Academy... hand that guy a mic and give him 10 minutes...
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    Just wondering if anyone out there is watching "The Sing Off" on NBC. As I direct a group that is very similar to the groups performing on this show, I was interested to hear what your thoughts are after watching it. Are any of you into the whole a cappella thing, or does it do nothing for you? Can you see this competition coming back for a second season? Did you enjoy any of the performances, or do you see it as more of a joke, a la Andy Bernard from "The Office." Thoughts? Comments?

Seeing that you might be the only one that watched it, what did you think?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Circle of Ancients

^ My thoughts exactly.

I'm not opposed to a capella music, or a show about them. But this one doesn't interest me at all.

• Minion

I watched the first 4 groups perform, and then watched the one I liked the best get sent home. I was done at that point.
    I thought Nick Lachey was really fake and cheesy as the host( I normally LOVE him, and tuned in mostly to see Nick), and I did not like most performances, they too were very cheesy.
    I will not be tuning in again.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by samsma View Post
    I thought Nick Lachey was really fake and cheesy as the host( I normally LOVE him, and tuned in mostly to see Nick), and I did not like most performances, they too were very cheesy.
    I will not be tuning in again.
    He looked like Cartman trying to do his best impression of Ryan Seacrest.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    He looked like Cartman trying to do his best impression of Ryan Seacrest.
    OMG.....that is so true!
    He had that high pitched "this is me trying to sound professional" voice.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Seeing that you might be the only one that watched it, what did you think?
    Sadly, I'm thinking that NBC really missed out on a great opportunity hear as did "contemporary a cappella" music. They just dumped these eight groups on their audience last night with no background or explanation as to what was going on. I think they should have spent the first hour talking about the growing popularity of a cappella, especially within our colleges and universities with over 1200 groups that have sprung up over the past 10 years or so that are very similar to the Beelzebubs and Noteworthy last night. Between Glee and the fact that MTV has also been trying to tap into the growing popularity of this music, this was an amazing opportunity to show the country as a whole that this music isn't just a punch line for Andy Bernard on the Office. (Although all of the Beelzebubs looked like Andy Bernard clones.) In addition, they should have showed the audition process from several sites across the country last Summer.

But they jumped into the competition too abruptly and actually cut a group before the first hour was even up. The pusssycat doll chick is a ditz, Lachey put everyone to sleep with his spiel, and the mix of the groups wasn't the greatest as the balance was off on most of the groups. And the groups themselves didn't really help matters by their pitch being off and by their song choices.

I just think this was a huge wasted opportunity.

I've been singing since I was 8 years old (although no longer part of a group), and I LOVE a cappella music. So at least on that level, I enjoy the show, because I love hearing the song choices and styles of the groups. However, I was royally peeved to see that they kicked off Face the very first night, as they were the best of that first group of four groups. I actually noticed that they made sure that each half of the show left them with one all male group, one all female group, and one mixed group. Seems like they weren't judging by talent.

Last night was better, and I agreed with sending Noteworthy home. They had only one volume, and it was LOUD.

Not impressed with most of the judging. Ben Folds seems to be on the ball, but the others are merely fixtures that pander to the producers. Nick Lachay is not a good host... too much schmaltz.

• "I Break Things"

So tonight the host wins the Will Ferrell look alike award. Does this guy have his own look or is it a costume party each night?