• Iron-Clad Allie

Disney XD Set To Morph Into Marvel TV

Disney XD will morph into Marvel TV (according to BlueSkyDisney) by late 2011 or early 2012. The Disney Channel's main audience has become female, and Disney is looking to develope more of a male-centric base for it's new network (formerly Toon Disney). Although we will see changes take place this year, the major changover will not occur until later.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 01-08-2010 at 08:39 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Minion

Re: Disney XD Set To Morph Into Marvel TV

I wonder if this makes Disney XD the shortest-lived cable network title of all time?
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

My son will love that!
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Pilot EdForceOne

I don't see them doing it.

Why pigeon hole your network? Disney XD is already an umbrella title... that's what networks need. Focus titles, not 'The Survivor Channel' or 'The CSI:Series' channel.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Circle of Ancients

^ Marvel has TONS of content that could be shown on Marvel TV. The other thing it does, is it associates a BRAND to the channel, and just with the name "Marvel TV", you KNOW what you are getting.

What does Disney XD mean anyway? This is going to provide INSTANT brand recognition.

Secondly, since when has having the "Disney" name on any channel prevented them from showing non-Disney movies or shows?

• Pilot EdForceOne

It's not about showing 'non Disney' or not. The point is Disney means an umbrella of things. Marvel is much more narrow focused. It becomes limiting.

Sure it provides instant recognition... if you are looking for Marvel content. What if you are looking for other content in the same pre-teen boys demographic?

I find it too narrow and could be a noose around their neck later. That's why they changed the channel name in the first place, to get away from their previous constraints. Now you just introduce a new constraint? Doesn't sound like good long term practice.

It's short term gain "hey look, I got marvel cartoons here!" for long term loss.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    It's not about showing 'non Disney' or not. The point is Disney means an umbrella of things. Marvel is much more narrow focused. It becomes limiting.

Sure it provides instant recognition... if you are looking for Marvel content. What if you are looking for other content in the same pre-teen boys demographic?

I find it too narrow and could be a noose around their neck later. That's why they changed the channel name in the first place, to get away from their previous constraints. Now you just introduce a new constraint? Doesn't sound like good long term practice.

It's short term gain "hey look, I got marvel cartoons here!" for long term loss.
    If Disney only owned one network channel, I would completely agree with you, flynn. This isn't the case, though. Why attempt to create another ABC... which already serves the purpose of mixed variety. So does The Disney Channel to a certain extent. It just turned out that it's programming accidentally ended up appealing to the female demographic significantly more.

Therefore, it won't hurt Disney one little bit to have a branded theme network that appeals mainly to guys. Marvel TV will in all likelihood contain more variety than what you would expect. Marvel already has a number of cartoons in the can. One Boxoffice hit after another has exploded on the silver screen for years. On top of that, Disney-Marvel will likely create new tv series envolving super heroes.. but with different genras.. ranging from dramatic to comedy. No telling what all will end up being featured.

The concept is so unique... and I am giddy with excitement!
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 01-08-2010 at 11:40 AM.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    If Disney only owned one network channel, I would completely agree with you, flynn. This isn't the case, though. Why attempt to create another ABC... which already seves the purpose of mixed variety.
    You're confusing my variety of content to TYPES of content.

The network would still cater to the same audience. The point is the conflicts that start coming up when you try to put 'Cars' cartoons on 'Marvel TV'. Or what happens when Disney buys the next property.. and starts showing Voltron cartoons? etc. It's narrowing your brand for short term gain.

Am I evil? yes, I am

Uh Guys,

I think you're reading the Blue Sky article wrong. It's not saying that Disney XD will change its name to Marvel TV; it's saying that the programing line up is going to be so filled with Marvel shows that it could be called "Marvel TV."

Get it?

They were being metaphoric, not literal.

ImagineerWarrior

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by ImagineerWaryur View Post
    Uh Guys,

I think you're reading the Blue Sky article wrong. It's not saying that Disney XD will change its name to Marvel TV; it's saying that the programing line up is going to be so filled with Marvel shows that it could be called "Marvel TV."

Get it?

They were being metaphoric, not literal.

ImagineerWarrior
    Could be, ImagineerWarrior. Even so, I doubt it. Marvel TV snaps, while Disney XD is so generic that it screams "place holder". The article let's us know that the primary content of the network will gradually become Marvel during 2010. It stands to reason that the name is to be taken literally.

• King of Los Angeles

Io9 reported today that there is a tron TV show in development for 2011 and 2012...most likely headed to Disney XD. They are trying to fill it with male-centric properties. It will include a lot of Marvel, but also original series and disney franchises with male appeal as well.