Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

• Shablagoo!

re: Conan says he won't move The Tonight Show

I am really enjoying the videos of other late night hosts talking and joking about the situation. Letterman has some great things to say. Kimmel really ripped on Leno with a spot on parody. The link Tui posted is awesome.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Where are all these comments people are talking about from Jay? I haven't heard/seen anything from him on the entire matter... even before they gave him the 10pm slot.

I don't hang any of this on Jay... but I do see an opportunity for him to step up and stop making this about the 11:30 timeslot and find new opportunities.

I see it as NBC not wanting to lose Jay.. and were willing to sacrafice Conan to do it.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Circle of Ancients

Some great stuff Tui, thanks for sharing!!

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I don't hang any of this on Jay... but I do see an opportunity for him to step up and stop making this about the 11:30 timeslot and find new opportunities.
    Puhleese, I hang at least 50% of it on Jay. If he had any respect for the franchise he kept going for the past 15 or so years he would step aside.

And I LOVED Craig Ferguson's comments about the whole thing.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Puhleese, I hang at least 50% of it on Jay. If he had any respect for the franchise he kept going for the past 15 or so years he would step aside.

And I LOVED Craig Ferguson's comments about the whole thing.
    Why is this Jay's doing? It's NBC that wanted to keep Jay from going to another network. It's NBC that wants to keep Jay from being the competition.

It's not Jay that says 'my 10pm slot sucks, give me 11:30!' - it's the affliates saying pull the show.

So again, it's back to NBC trying to keep Jay from going anywhere. I think Jay has earned the power to not go just anywhere they put him and have a say in it.. like he shouldn't just have to take the late late show and like it. But Jay also has the opportunity to not make a fight out of it and move onto something else.

I don't think Jay started this - it's NBC trying to please everyone. They made a mistake with establishing their 'transition plan' long before it was needed... and then they painted themselves in a corner with two successful late night shows. I mean come on... they announced the plan before Conan had ever had a TV show.

NBC f'd up trying to have their cake and eat it too. Kudos for them to have the balls to TRY something with the 10pm show, but it was like trying to superglue the vase together after you screwed up by leaving the vase out where it was going to get smashed in the first place.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Flynn is right on this. This current mess isn't exactly Jay's fault (though not getting enough viewers IS. the show's not great. but it's not horrible either. it has its moments but it's not important enough to tune in every night).

What IS Jay's fault is telling NBC that he's okay with stepping down in 2009 however many years ago it was. He probably didn't think he would be as big as he was still.

And NBC didn't want to lose Jay to ABC or somewhere else.

The problems are many. They should have just let it be until the summer and see how things go. IF things needed changing I'd put it entirely on The Jay Leno show not performing well at 10pm.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Flynn is right on this. This current mess isn't exactly Jay's fault (though not getting enough viewers IS. the show's not great. but it's not horrible either. it has its moments but it's not important enough to tune in every night).
    Of importance to note.. its basically at the same levels Leno was as the Tonight Show. The problem is the audience is much bigger at this time, so the expectations are much higher. In the face of dramas... he's lost. Or its probably better to say... Talk Shows have lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    What IS Jay's fault is telling NBC that he's okay with stepping down in 2009 however many years ago it was. He probably didn't think he would be as big as he was still.
    What power did Jay really have in that situation? He's hired - he doesn't own the show. NBC overreacted to the Leno/Letterman situation and tried to have a planned succession in place to avoid the talent disputes. The problem was they reached out and drew an artificial deadline. One that has proven a poor choice. But I don't really think that matters as much as the root problem is... NBC trying to retain more talent then they have slots for.

Even without the succession plan in place... Conan would start getting itchy as the contract renewals would have come up. NBC would have had to do something to try to prevent the flight of Conan. The problem would have still existed... it just would have been isolated to Conan instead of Conan+Leno.

I still think it was NBC's lack of backbone overall that didn't help. I mean... give Jay a primetime show.. ok.. I can roll with that. But why do it in basically the exact same format, the exact same pattern, and in what is almost a competing timeslot? Why not a once or twice a week show early in the evening? Why not try some other format?

They made a bold step, but with only one foot. A move in hindsight that obviously wasn't enough to differentiate the products.

Jay had a good show.. but I enjoyed him better as a stand-up comic (and yes I saw him on tour before he took over the Tonight Show). He should retire to the lounge scene in Vegas.

edit: hmm.. sounds a lot like what I said back when the show started http://micechat.com/forums/tv/123602...post1055574900
    However I do feel this move is bad from a property point of view in that it took the risk associated with changing the Tonight Show host, and amplified it by putting ANOTHER talk show right before it with the old host and lifting much of the old content. This totally undermines any push to ensure the new Tonight Show is a success IMO.

I think they could have kept Leno on the network, but instead of a talk show, leverage him and his talents in a flexible show format that isn't daily. Think babera walters special - in terms of frequency and promotion.. but obviously different content. You could play to his car side, he could do interviews, he could do comedy, he could take jay walking on the road, he could highlight other friends/talent, etc. A much more free form, with without the stress of a daily show could lead to some really interesting shows IMO.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Rock Star Minion

NBC f'd up trying to have their cake and eat it too. Kudos for them to have the balls to TRY something with the 10pm show, but it was like trying to superglue the vase together after you screwed up by leaving the vase out where it was going to get smashed in the first place.
    Mom always said, "Don't play ball in the house."
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rides against injustice

I think they could have kept Leno on the network, but instead of a talk show, leverage him and his talents in a flexible show format that isn't daily. Think babera walters special - in terms of frequency and promotion.. but obviously different content. You could play to his car side, he could do interviews, he could do comedy, he could take jay walking on the road, he could highlight other friends/talent, etc. A much more free form, with without the stress of a daily show could lead to some really interesting shows IMO.
    That is a GREAT idea!
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

The 'blame' does indeed rest with NBC. Although even that is shaded, since it's really NBC's affiliates who are the instigators. The ratings for local 11 p.m. newscasts dropped with Leno as their lead-in, and the affiliates whined to NBC. The network itself didn't expect spectacular ratings from the Leno 10 p.m. show, but their costs were so low that they did fine.

Leno and O'Brien both are really pawns in this. They have no say when their shows air, or if they air at all. The only control they have is whether or not they report to work. I'm crossing my fingers that a month from now, NBC has lost both of them and is scrambling to fill their programming schedule. Hollywood is a cutthroat town, but every once in a while, somebody gets payback.

• Kingdom Comedian

• Pilot EdForceOne

Interesting.. but it says

"Now that Conan has made it clear he is leaving the troubled network"

When did Conan make this clear? He just said he won't go along with any plan to move the Tonight show to 12:05

Sources close to former 'Tonight Show' host Jay Leno tell me he is furious with the way NBC has treated him and Conan O'Brien and is considering walking away from the entire mess with his head held high. "Now that Conan has made it clear he is leaving the troubled network, Jay is considering doing the same. They have put Jay in a terrible position. It looks like he is the reason that Conan is now without a job. Jay is a great guy and it's not fair that due to NBC's stupidity he looks like the bad guy," a TV insider tells me.
    That would kind of erode clink's view of Jay's to blame for this IMO.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Cars Land Rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by SnorkletsMom View Post
    The 'blame' does indeed rest with NBC. Although even that is shaded, since it's really NBC's affiliates who are the instigators. The ratings for local 11 p.m. newscasts dropped with Leno as their lead-in, and the affiliates whined to NBC. The network itself didn't expect spectacular ratings from the Leno 10 p.m. show, but their costs were so low that they did fine.
    Many of the NBC affiliates told NBC they didn't like this idea from the very beginning. They feared Leno should would not be as strong as scripted dramas or that people used to seeing Jay would watch him then turn off the TV and go to bed before the news started. At least one affiliate told NBC they wouldn't run the show even before it started. They backed down when NBC threaten to pull their affiliation. NBC had been warned ahead of time, now they are scrambling to correct their mistake.

• Circle of Ancients

Interesting.. but it says

"Now that Conan has made it clear he is leaving the troubled network"

When did Conan make this clear? He just said he won't go along with any plan to move the Tonight show to 12:05

That would kind of erode clink's view of Jay's to blame for this IMO.
    Yes, yes it would. And this is the kind of announcement I was waiting for from Jay to be honest.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast