• My prices are INSANE!

Fox readying U.S. version of 'Torchwood'

Greetings all.

This sounds interesting.
    This was in the Hollywood Reporter yesterday.

Huge news for sci-fi fans: Fox is developing a stateside version of the U.K. hit series “Torchwood.”

The project is from BBC Worldwide Prods., with original series creator Russell Davies writing the script.

Unlike U.S. adaptations that have gone awry, “Torchwood” fans can take comfort that the original producing team is on board. In addition to Davies, exec producers include Davies’ producing partner Julie Gardner (former head of drama at BBC Wales for the show’s first season) and Jane Tranter (another BBC vet, now exec VP programming and production at BBC Worldwide Prods. in the U.S.).
    Also, some of the current cast — most likely John Barrowman, who plays the immortal Capt. Jack Harkness — might star if Fox orders “Torchwood” to pilot.
    As for the new show’s plot, the U.S. version will contain a global story line compared to the more localized sensibility of the first two BBC seasons.
    Any thoughts on this?
    Crazy Larry loves ya! ......Hurry up before they lock me up!

Stop by my website
    http://www.ericedunn.com/

• Also cute and fluffy!

Re: Fox readying U.S. version of 'Torchwood'

I think its a bad idea. And there is a rumor if it works they would use it as a backdoor pilot for an American version of Doctor Who...which we already know how that will turn out because they tried once and failed...No offense to Paul McGann who actually a fantastic Doctor (his Big Finish audio dramas show that), he was just given a terrible script to work with.
    "Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    Walt Disney

Thanks for everything, Walt!

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good."

Follow me on twitter! - pj_campbell

I'd give it a shot if it shows up, but I'm generally not a fan of copycat shows/stories/etc. They would absolutely need something new, very different from the real Torchwood. And they need to do it really well. I don't know that Fox has the heart for it.

The original was so good, it'll be hard to do.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• The Steampunk Dread Baron

If it were the American Branch of the Torchwood Institute and shared the same history and Doctor it might work, treat it more like an American spinoff.
    The fountain of youth really is in Florida... thats why they built Walt Disney World where they did.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Americans would flip over Mr. Harkness' dating proclivities and they'd edit it out, affectively immasculating the entire series. If they kept it in? If they had open minds? Sure, I'd give a go.

peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Yeah, that was part of the show that I liked a lot and I agree with you that Fox (especially) would not have the nerve to keep that edge. Torchwood wasn't stuffy, and that was part of its appeal. I liked that it wasn't afraid.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• The one and only

I wouldn't mind if they just simulcasted the next season on Fox. It would be a whole lot better than Fox possibly ruining a great show.

• King of Los Angeles

Never happen...if it's a good show Fox will cancel it.