Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Re: Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Russell lied... big wow... not the first time someone has lied in that game.
    What's ironic is that Rupert himself said he himself lied, cheated and stole on the reunion show...

• Circle of Ancients

I think BC, Flynn, and Techskip should audition for Survivor not Nicaragua but the next one whatever that may be. What do ya say?

• Seasick

Sandra did nothing and was rewarded for her lack of playing.
    Sandra's victory doesn't exactly thrill me, for the reasons you cited, but I'll still call her a deserving winner.

As Tom said at the reunion, in the end, if you win your season, you deserve it.

She somehow managed to make it to the end and get the votes. We may not agree with the way the jury voted, but Sandra found a way to get their votes.

Sometimes, doing nothing is the viable strategy.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Ginarella View Post
    I think BC, Flynn, and Techskip should audition for Survivor not Nicaragua but the next one whatever that may be. What do ya say?
    TV doesn't want to see me for that many days without a shower
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    TV doesn't want to see me for that many days without a shower
    lol not even for a cool mil? Hey and the dirtier TV viewing the better, I say

• "I Break Things"

I have a bad knee, and a sarcastic wit. I'd be the first one booted off for telling people to "quit whining" about being hungry, cold, or tired.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Pilot EdForceOne

If you watch some of the extras video.. you can see courtney telling you how she's going to vote.. with crap like russell's plays was not 'admirable'

'admirable'?? Is this the YMCA Championships?
    'Survivor: Heroes vs Villains': And the winner is... | EW.com (videos near the bottom)

I will say tho.. I obviously was wrong about Russell going out early based on his reunion show performance.. so I'm really suprised to have him go to the end.. and win the last challenge. Suprising!

Am I evil? yes, I am

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    Sandra's victory doesn't exactly thrill me, for the reasons you cited, but I'll still call her a deserving winner.

As Tom said at the reunion, in the end, if you win your season, you deserve it.

She somehow managed to make it to the end and get the votes. We may not agree with the way the jury voted, but Sandra found a way to get their votes.

Sometimes, doing nothing is the viable strategy.
    When you eliminate all other possibilities, whatever remains, while improbable, is what happened. Sandra said her only strategy was to get Russell out. She failed, and subsequently that failure led to her being in the final 3 and ultimately winning that game. Which means she won despite her own efforts... in short it was pure luck.

She did not need to "convince" people to vote for her. Most on that jury had an axe to gind against Russell and P. had screwed enough people over that they wouldn't vote for her. It was close... but I would venture to say Jerri would have had the same results...

It doesn't mean she is the best player, it means she was lucky and despite her own efforts she was in the right place at the right time. Russell could have given the most moving speech imaginable, his gameplay pissed people off and therefore they would not vote for him. Call it jealousy, or putting feelings first, or immaturity, but at the end of the day that jury voted based on feelings not on facts. Russell dominated the strategy, was a dominant force in the gameplay, and outlasted everyone... logically speaking he should have been the winner both times. He also is responsible for a change in how the idol is now hidden (I already commented last season on how the "hiding spot" had been watered down to a JOKE). Notice how often they buried the idols this season... so you needed the clue...

I go back to what I said. Sandra was lucky, and luck has nothing to do with being the best player or deserving to win.

• Seasick

I'm Canadian so I can't. I propose that the other two apply, and while they're stuck in an alternating hot/rainy jungle for over a month, I'll sit at home with the million dollars I get from my discrimination lawsuit

It doesn't mean she is the best player, it means she was lucky and despite her own efforts she was in the right place at the right time.

He also is responsible for a change in how the idol is now hidden (I already commented last season on how the "hiding spot" had been watered down to a JOKE). Notice how often they buried the idols this season... so you needed the clue...

I go back to what I said. Sandra was lucky, and luck has nothing to do with being the best player or deserving to win.
    She didn't piss anyone off, and she made herself seem like she wasn't a threat. Those two things contributed to her win, and could not be attributed to luck. Yes, luck played a part in her win, as it does in anyone's Survivor victory, but I feel her victory was certainly due to several factors, luck being but one of them.

I think that last season was the only time the idols were easily found. In all(?) of the other seasons they were buried (remember the one on the beach someone couldn't find?) or well-hidden. Some were even hidden in the camp, making it even harder for someone to get it without anyone noticeing.

• Seasick

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I will say tho.. I obviously was wrong about Russell going out early based on his reunion show performance.. so I'm really suprised to have him go to the end.. and win the last challenge. Suprising!
    I think that surprised just about everyone, but he knew he wasn't going to win Heroes vs Villians, which apparently was enough for him to be so despondant at his first reunion special.

I wonder how much money he offered Sandra to buy her "Queen of Survivor" title?

• Circle of Ancients

I'd LOVE to go on Survivor and I think I'd actually do really well.

I actually entered their video contest a few months ago but didn't get picked.

• is "Turn[ing] It Off"

[begin Survivor rant]

During the summer when I was in high school, I remember when Survivor started. I was at a college prep summer camp so I missed the beginning of it. When I got home, I watched the end. I loved watching the interactions and the thought processes. When it ended, I was astounded that Richard Hatch pulled it off! For me, it was just the beginning. I watched it every season. I may have missed an episode or two, but I always stuck with the season. I did watch the entire first season. Jeff Probst said that it was the ultimate social experiment.

Fast forward to Samoa and Heroes Vs. Villains, and (asides from Hidden Immunity Idols) the game still hasn't changed. Going into the finale, I knew that there was no chance that Russell was going to win against any combination of Colby, Jerri, Parvati, or Sandra. Not because of spoilers, but because there was nobody that was hated more than him by the jury (the Ponderosa clips were enough prove this point). In Survivor Thailand, Brian Heidik knew that he needed somebody more hated than him beside him in the final two so he took Clay with him and won that season.

This season, Jerri was most likely going to vote for Russell at the final tribal council. In post-show interviews, she revealed that she changed her vote to Sandra or Parvati because of his final tribal performance (Source). He actually lost votes at the final tribal. As for Sandra, Parvati was the wisest because she knew that Sandra was a huge jury threat. She knew that she would get at least Courtney, Amanda, and Candice.

It's easy to see how Sandra got four vote: 1. Courtney was in her alliance at the beginning, 2. She tried to save Amanda before her boot, but Candice trusted Russell, 3. Candice's hometown is Fayettesville, and Sandra lives there or something along those lines (there's an Insider's clip about this), and 4. Rupert was in Pearl Islands with her and also voted for her to win that season. It only took one more vote. Coincidentally, she got JT's and Colby's vote ... both being Heroes who she tried to help.

I'm not saying that Sandra deserved to win because I think deserved is a subjective word. I'm just saying that there was some votes that were obviously leaning her way if not fully going her way no matter how she got to the final tribal council. While reading through other forums, I found a good article about Survivor juries. It's called the Psychology of a Survivor Jury. Mind you, this was written before Samoa and Heroes Vs. Villains. This is the perfect lead in to Russell because I don't understand him at all. I don't. I read enough about his "strategy" and too many posts about him on other forums and comments on blogs. I still don't understand him. In Tocantins, Stephen, the more strategic, lost to JT because JT was more liked by the jury. In fact, it seemed that the entire jury fell on their knives for him).

He is the only contestant that I wasn't looking forward to this season. Yeah, I didn't like him in Samoa, but that wasn't the reason. I mean, I didn't like Coach or Tyson during Tocantins, but I liked him this season. During the Samoa reunion, he was the sorest loser in Survivor history. I couldn't believe that he tried to buy the title from Natalie. It wreaked of desperation. During this season's live reunion, he was the same sore loser. The entire show was only bareable because Jeff Probst put Russell into his place. After nineteen seasons, there is no flaw in the game. The jury has always been a part of every season. If America got to vote the winner of a highly edited show (for the most part ... three days in a one hour show), it wouldn't be Survivor. Also, Russell can have as much "control" as he wants, but he can't control the jury or who the winner is. If either of those happened, I would stop watching the show.

Survivor: Nicaragua will be filming in the summer. Like with Samoa and Heroes Vs. Villains, they will be filming them back to back in the same or a similar location to save on money. I'm hoping that Russell won't be on either of those seasons. My brain needs a huge break from him and his flawed jury doesn't or shouldn't exist "strategy".

[/end Survivor rant]

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post

You should definitely keep applying!

Before they eventually chose you , you could definitely prepare yourself even more. I'm sure you already watched all the seasons already. If you haven't, I suggest doing it because there's a lot to learn from them. There's quite a few seasons for sale on DVD and some on iTunes. The one easy one that comes to mind is to know how to start a fire with a flint. Cirie in Exile Island lost the final four tiebreaker. There are a few other final four fire breaking challenges, too.

Also, you can study game theory. Jeff Probst mentioned John Nash specificially. I found an old Reality News Online article about it. Unfortunately, I can't help you get on the show, but I hope this can help you. I also hope that I'll see you on the show soon ... words can't describe how awesome that would be!

• Pilot EdForceOne

On the whole 'who is liked' thing.. I can buy that when the two people are similar in how they got there. But when it's total night and day.. I hate that people vote that way.

In the JT example, it was about charism vs none. One guy tried to play the guy behind the scenes, and the other played 'hey, I'm just who I am, and heres what I did'.

Russell never hid who he was. His ego is certainly his downfall - but I still can't figure out why after all this 'study' he has, he can't figure out how to put together a final tribal speech. Especially after he called out the others before final tribal on the lsat season about not having a speech ready.

His speech should be 'it ain't personal - its a game and heres how I played and why I played better then X'. Play each jury person as either just a victim of circumstance or play to their ego by saying they had to go because they were on the upswing and had to be stopped before they got too powerful, etc.

I think the only thing that would have made me more sick is seeing Cirie at the end again. Her and Sandra are pretty similar.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• phbbbbbt

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    I don't like the idea of public voting for the winner, not that it will ever happen.

Unless you're there, how do you really know who deserves it, based on the limited footage we ultimately get to see?
    Totally agree. We see only one hour out of what, three days? Add to that Mark Burnett's genius editing for story arc and character, and the home audience has no idea what is really going on. Seriously, before the finale, how many of us knew that Rich Hatch was such a manipulating guy?
    xo, Deanna

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post

Before you apply I would HIGHLY recommend the various survival courses offered at local community colleges. Likewise there are books on wilderness survival (multiple climates) that can be found at your local library... not having flint is no excuse for not having fire!

If you get on there... no whining if you are cold, tired, or hungry... because you knew beforehand what you were getting into. Best of luck on the gameplay side of it. You don't need to tip your hat and let your tribe know you can do the survival stuff... but it is good to have.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456