• Circle of Ancients

The Pacific - HBO Miniseries

Anybody else catch the premiere of "The Pacific". I actually missed it but just caught the premiere episode On Demand. It was REALLy good.

It's hard not to compare it to Band of Brothers since it's the same producers but so far I'm liking it. They did a little bit of a different approach on this one than Band of Brothers so I'm hoping it will give you time to get to know the characters better in future episodes.

• My prices are INSANE!

Re: The Pacific - HBO Miniseries

I was a bit lost at certain points, but so far I like it.

The story bounced around a lot. Jumping from various locations in America to the Pacific without covering the standard training sequence in most war stories. But I feel I really haven't gotten to know the main characters as well as I did at the beginning of BoB. This might be intentional but we'll have to wait and see.

The scenes of battle are intense and well done as well as the visual scope the CG effects give it.

I'm also having a hard time not comparing it to Band of Brothers. I really enjoyed that series. So comparing it with "The Pacific" is a bit unfair at this point.

Looking forward to the rest of the series.
    Crazy Larry loves ya! ......Hurry up before they lock me up!

Stop by my website
    http://www.ericedunn.com/

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

not my kind of thing, but Dustin is DVR'ing it and will burn it down to DVD at some point. he's a Band of Brothers junkie so this will be right up his alley i'm sure
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• Circle of Ancients

Crazy Larry, I kind of have the same thoughts. With BoB it was easy to get involved with the characters early because we met them ALL in boot camp, etc. With this one, even the main characters they showed going to camp, you really didn't get to know them.

I think this is probably intentional as to not draw comparisons to BoB, but the comparisons are inevitable.

I did really like the ending of the first episode though and it brought me in a bit.

• Circle of Ancients

Good article on the series:

HBOs The Pacific joins Band of Brothers ranks - Road Runner

It looks like they are concentrating more on the war and life after the war where in Band of Brothers it was leading up to the war and the war. So a little bit of a different approach.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

It was a terrific jumping off point. The producers chose to create a new format for 'The Pacific' once they chose to utilize the three books written by their three main characters. They explained this concept in the terrific "making of" short that HBO has been running.

Very cool to see under-utilized young actors like Jon Seda and James Badge Dale in starring roles. Not to mention Spielberg's full-circle return with now grown-up Joe Mazzello. As a kid he was featured in big roles in 'Jurassic Park', 'The Lost World: Jurassic Park' and 'The River Wild' with Meryl Streep.

HBO's "The Pacific" got off to a fair start on Sunday evening, delivering 3.1 million viewers.

That's 22% higher than the debut of HBO's last miniseries, "John Adams," and "The Pacific" tally grew to 4 million with its encore airing.

Still, HBO has to be somewhat disappointed with this number. "The Pacific" is the biggest production in the network's history and this is only 69% higher than the time period norm.

The miniseries' predecessor, 2001's "Band of Brothers," debuted to 10 million viewers (Nielsen has since changed the way pay cable networks are calculated, however, and these are no longer apples-to-apples comparisons).

Even with its larger premiere number, "Brothers" was considered a slow-starter whose success was secured in heavy repeat viewing and DVD sales. "The Pacific" could easily gather steam too, especially with critics saying the second half of the production is superior to the first.
    HBO's 'Pacific' off to a fair start
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Pilot EdForceOne

I look forward to watching them from usenet
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• hi!

after hearing so many people talking about the show, i had to automatically assume that it's been on for a while already.. and i was discouraged thinking i'd have too much to catch up on.

checking on my download source, nice to see it's barely premiered! i'll definitely be giving this a watch.

[edit]: during the intro, i was wondering "why is Woody narrating??" and soon found out that Tom Hanks was an exec. haha!
    Last edited by plagued; 03-17-2010 at 01:50 AM.
    -plagued

• Circle of Ancients

So 1/2 way through the mini series, what does everybody think so far?

As good as Band of Brothers is/was ... I think I'm liking this one even better. It's so good, the acting is superb and I find this one to be more gritty than Band of Brothers was (which is a good thing). I also really like that they are concentrating on both aspects of the war, the actual battles and back home. I'm REALLY enjoying it.

• My prices are INSANE!

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    So 1/2 way through the mini series, what does everybody think so far?

As good as Band of Brothers is/was ... I think I'm liking this one even better. It's so good, the acting is superb and I find this one to be more gritty than Band of Brothers was (which is a good thing). I also really like that they are concentrating on both aspects of the war, the actual battles and back home. I'm REALLY enjoying it.
    I agree. It's shows a lot of what happened off the battle field and the human side of the war and presents a new look at what happened in the Pacific during World War II.

This show stands on it's own and can't be compared to Band of Brothers. Both shows are unique on to themselves.

Thoroughly enjoying this show.
    Crazy Larry loves ya! ......Hurry up before they lock me up!

Stop by my website
    http://www.ericedunn.com/